“Historical building in the Old Town”
Review of Hostel Emma

and 1 more site!
Hostel Emma
Ranked #343 of 650 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Budapest, Hungary
“Historical building in the Old Town”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Emma hostel was a great accommodation during my 4-day-trip in Prague. It is situated in the old town, none of Prague hostels have such ideal situation! The building is hostorical, authentic, I liked the athmosphere. Our room was simple, but perfect to sleep and relax.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Spent a night here while visiting Prague a few weeks ago. If I had to do it again I would not stay here. The whole interior of the place give the impression of a derelict building. The rooms were extremely basic, no locks on the toilet or shower room door and the kitchen facilities were lacking. Aside from the look of the place, the staff were extremely unfriendly and unhelpful. There was a young man working in reception and he could not have been more unwelcoming. The best part of the stay was getting out of there the next morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Prague hotels

Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

Got there to be greeted by a very rude chap who sneered when we tried to use UK driving licences as ID, he also scoffed at us when we tried to explain we thought they were valid, as they are throughout the rest of Europe. The room isn't actually in the hostel building, but round the corner - we were staying on the third floor, which meant using an unlit staircase with broken windows and plant pots filled with soil on the landings. The room door was opened to us by the clerk's foot, and the first impression of the room is "what have we let ourselves in for?!". We were in a private room, with *dirty* beds, I even found a pubic hair on my bedsheet and woke up the next morning to find bed bug bites on my back and legs. There was also a damp patch on the ceiling with loose wires hanging from it. The facilities are poor, not even employing proper locks but using chains to keep bathroom doors shut, of which themselves are in poor repair. The security is also an issue, it relies on other residents to actually lock the door on their departure from the building, numerous times we came back to find all the doors leading up to our room open (there are two internal doors). The room door didn't properly fit either, and owing to it being paper thin, we could hear everything going on in the corridor. Do not stay at this place, cause a public offence and stay at the local lock-up instead.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank jrhartley123
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here with 9 friends as part of a stag do. We only used the rooms as a ground base and didnt spend much time in them. The room I stayed in was upstairs and was ok. The beds were very basic with the pillows and duvets had seen better days. The 2nd room was down stairs and as mentioned in previous posts this room was like a bunker and apparently a lot of noise could be heard from outside. To get to this room you had to walk down a narrow set of stairs and through the kitchen which could have done with a good clean.

The location was good, about a 20-25 min casual walk into the old town and there was a great bar across the road. Drinks were very reasonable here.

All in all for the price this place does the job but If i was to go back i would shell out a little more money and stay in a better hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kyyiv, Ukraine
Reviewed August 5, 2013

As we had to spend only one night in Prague, we didnt choose accomodation very carefully; the main thing we paid attention to was location, which was the best thing about this hostel. During the trip we stayed in several places, and it was always difficult to find them, so location of Emma Hostel was such a relief :D Basically, we booked our beds separately, so it was not a surprise that we werent sharing the same room, but instead of 6 beds room, by friend was living with 7 more people, and I was more lucky - with 3 :D (the street outside my room was noisy, also there was a shop or something, and its neon signboard was bothering a little bit). It was not a big deal for one night, but if you are going to stay longer it may be uncomfortable. Anyway, staff was nice and friendly, bathrooms were clean, but the kitchen wasnt. It was the first time I saw such a mess in a hostel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Me and a friend were back packing around Europe and were staying in Prague for 2 nights! We booked the Emma hostel on hostelworld and it was very cheap. It is quite a long way from the train station so be aware if your carrying a large bag! It's in a superb location for the sights tho! 2 mins for the river, 5 mins from town and 10 mins to the Old Town. When we arrived the guy behind reception didn't have much English. He told us we were staying next door to the hostel at which point me and my friend gave each other a confused look!!

He led us to some large wooden doors outside, gave us our keys and let us find out our room! When we opened the door we were greeted with a building site! The building was under renovation. We were on the second floor and discovered there was no lighting in the stairways! Was very interesting in the dark!

When we arrived at our 'room' it was a converted apartment. There was a small kitchen , living area and communal bathroom and showers. We were in a very tiny room! There was a single bed, double bed and a makeshift wardrobe. The furniture was very basic but the bed was comfy! No curtains though which was random! When we arrived we saw no other people, but later on a group arrived and partied all the way through the night so didn't get much sleep!

This is a place where you have to be very open minded. It didn't matter to me and my friend that it very basic....we just wanted a place to sleep and grab a hot shower, in which we succeeded in both! This is not the place for you if you don't do basic, don't like noise and limit yourself to certain accommodation!!!

Me and my friend just giggled through it all and I'll probably never experience a place like it ever again in my life!!!

Room Tip: You won't know what you'll get or what building you'll be in till you get there!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My 3 friends and i (19 year old girls) stayed in a room in the basement with 1 Czech woman. Woke up after the first night and my phone had been stolen from under my pillow whilst I was asleep as she had unlocked the door in the night and a man (not a guest of the hostel) had walked past reception and down in to our room and also stolen from other rooms. A clear set up so watch out. Very frightening and incredibly dodgy. Staff were unhelpful. Plugs in rooms seemed unsafe and the whole place damp and claustrophobic. Worst hostel I've ever stayed in.

Room Tip: DON'T STAY HERE - try miss sophies or ANY other hostel! If you have to stay here ask not to be i...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends