“This is one of the top things I wanted to do in my life- even better than I had imagined!”

Pilsner Urquell Brewery
Ranked #1 of 85 things to do in Pilsen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Every country has its symbols and legends and the Czech ones include Pilsner Urquell lager which has been brewed in a town called Plzen (Pilsen) since 1842. Since then the fame of Pilsner Urquell beer has spread around the world and, inspired by this exceptional brew, more than two-thirds of the beers produced today are commonly known as pils, pilsner or pilsener. The brewery tour showcases all of the authentic places where Pilsner Urquell lager has been brewed for more than 175 years, and where its story continues today. You will see the heart of the brewery - both the historical and contemporary brewhouse. You will smell and taste the raw materials that are used to brew Pilsner Urquell, and the panoramic cinema will take you through the brewing process. And at the end you will taste unfiltered Pilsner Urquell beer tapped straight from oak lager barrels in the historic brewery cellars.The brewery is open year-round. The journey from Prague takes about one-and-a-half hours and you can either travel on your own by car, bus or train.
Reviewed July 4, 2017

I am a big fan of beer in general and Pilsner Urquell in particular, so this was really high on my list of experiences I wanted to try in my life. We are currently living in Prague so my wife arranged a trip to the brewery in Pilsen for my birthday.

I liked everything about it, I felt like a child who had won a golden ticket. I was only surprised not to spot the Ooompa-Loompas!

First, the entrance gate to the brewery is beautiful. It reminds you that however modern parts of the brewery now are, this is an historic, special place. So it should be, as it influenced two thirds of the beer currently produced worldwide.

The visitor centre was beautiful, with a special motorbike in Urquell livery and a few other things to look at (and you can buy unfiltered Pilsener to take away from here) while we waited for the tour.

When our guide turned up she was brilliant. Warm, funny and full of enthusiasm, she delighted in showing us around and introducing things that would surprise us or make us laugh. I actually asked her the first question (apple for teacher I know, but I was so excited) and her answer really helped me understand.

I don't want to go into all the details of the tour because it is nice to discover things for yourself, but I will mention a few highlights:
- getting into a Pilsner Urquell bus to take us around part of the tour
- using the biggest lift/elevator in the Czech Republic
- seeing the working factory with all the cans and bottles whizzing around
- plus of course, most people's favourite bit- trying the beer in the cellars!

It is difficult to overstate how special the beer you get to try on the tour is. The only other time I have tried Pilsner Urquell from the wood was once in London where there was one small barrel in a pub and we were allowed to buy a glass each. I literally ran there after work!

You get a really fair serving of beer here and you are served it standing between massive barrels. It is an amazing thing to try and our guide led us in a tasting, which really helped us appreciate it.

The price was excellent for the quality of the tour- good job all concerned! Thanks for making my birthday so special and helping me experience one of my dreams.

2  Thank AlexSwallow
Write a ReviewReviews (1,400)
All reviews
"making beer"
in 10 reviews
"minute tour"
in 9 reviews
"beer straight from the barrel"
in 8 reviews
"an hour and a half"
in 8 reviews
"beer tour"
in 7 reviews
"tour includes"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed June 28, 2017

This tour provides great information regarding the history of Pilsner beer. The highlight is definitely the mug of unfiltered, unpasteurized beer in the cellar.

Reviewed June 27, 2017

Well is cool for someone who never been before, but for the fisrt time is great to try a hope and not fermented beer , i really liked the store nice clothes and very cheap all stuffs

Reviewed June 26, 2017

We had a great time relaxing and drinking the unfiltered Pilsner beer! It was THE BEST beer I've ever tasted! We skipped the tour and just casual dined and drank our beer!