“Worthwhile”
Review of Hotel Palatin

Hotel Palatin
Ranked #24 of 91 Hotels in Karlovy Vary
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The breakfast is so great with variety of food (yogurts, tea, coffee, egg , bacon ect.). The dominent great point is cleanliness. The bathroom and toilet are very clean as being new. The location is wonderful in the heart of city centre. It's next to Mill and Market colonade just 1-2 min walk.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MariYing

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Myself and a friend booked this Hotel for 1 March 2013 to 3 March 2013. We originally booked 2 Comfort Double rooms. I called 3 days (Booked on 23rd Feb)after booking (26th Feb)and spoke with the Manager who promised that I could be given the Apartment seeing that the Hotel was not full. He did not give me any confirmation of this, but I assumed that with speaking with him, all was fine and we would be given the apartment upon arrival! With the promise from the Manager that we would have the apartment, my friend cancelled her booking. Upon arriving at the Hotel we were told by the front desk clerk who clearly was not a Professional, that there were NO rooms. I told her that we had a reservation and what my name was, she then proceeded to tell us that there was 1 reservation for a Comfort Double Room in my name. I explained that the Manager that I spoke with had promised me that we would have the Apartment at which she told me that the apartment was already given out. After several phone calls to the Manager (Who never acknowledged to me that he had promised me the Apartment) told us that they had another room available to us. Suddenly when we were told that they were "FULLY BOOKED" another room suddenly was available. The Manager then proceeded to tell me that we could have the room for 32 Euros due to the inconvenience that we had been put through, but somehow that changed from 32 Euros for the 2 nights, to 32 Euros per EACH night.
We stayed at the Hotel, were given 2 Rooms after all this unprofessionalism of the Manager and STILL my friend had to pay 32 Euros per night regardless of the promises made to us. The ONLY reason we decided to stay at this hotel was because when we searched our computer for other hotels, the prices were extremely HIgh due to us trying to book other Hotels in such a short amount of time!
I had absolutely NO heat in my room the first night. No overhead light in the bathroom above the mirror. My bed drooped to one side and I had Luke Warm water for my shower until the following day, when we asked the desk clerk to have them turn the water temperature UP! We were told that all other problems with the room would not be able to be fixed due to NOT having staff who were qualified to fix them! My friends room had Luke warm water, but everything else about her room seemed fine! The Hotel Breakfast staff and the Desk Staff on Saturday and Sunday were wonderfully kind and professional. As to the desk clerk on Friday night (Woman), I would not have her attending to any customers. Very Rude! Needs to go to a customer service class to learn the skills on how to treat people nicer! ALL she cared about was leaving her shift and going home for the night! The gentleman who changed shifts with her was trying to Help us, but he could do little seeing that the Manager was not Honest and his promises were Empty Promises that he gave me! Not acknowledging our original conversation was to me, Very Rude, Unprofessional and Dishonest!
I would NOT stay at this Hotel again! I will not recommend this Hotel to anyone either!! You book a room, but when you get there, you will not be completely sure if you Get what they Promise you!!!

Room Tip: Chose another Hotel!!! Find Better Located Hotel with Parking!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Michelle v
Reviewed February 8, 2013

The hotel is located right in the town center. All those famous hotspring drinking fountains and luxurious spa hotels are all within walking distance. So really convenient. Close to the hotel is a big spa resort (Rock Spa, in English) and you can get discount price if u ask the hotel reception to book spa treatment for you at Rock Spa, which we did and it was quite nice.

The double room is big and cozy. The breakfast which is included in the room rate offers a variety of food to choose, primarily continental style but also some scrambled eggs. Wifi works very well too.

The only thing others have complained is the parking, which is not available in the hotel itself as it's located at the pedestrian street. U could use the Thermal Hotel's parking, which is about 5-min walk away. We didn't drive so we didn't have this issue. But I guess it's not that hard to find, just inconvenient if u have lots of luggage in your car.

We walked from the train station, which is about 15-20 walk. The walk itself is pleasant cause you basically stroll around the town and along the river. Finding the way to the town from the train station is a bit confusing though. There're two train stations there and the one that the train from Prague stops is farther from the town on a hill. A very small and shabby train station which doesn't match the spa town's reputation at all and there's no sign of direction to the town. Basically, u just walk down the hill toward toe river and cross the bridge. Then you could see the town.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bigvoyageur
Reviewed April 20, 2012

I stayed in Hotel Palatin , with my husband and son, for one night on the way from Prague to Dresden. Booked directly with the hotel and have got a good rate with breakfast included,considering that hotel Palatin is at the Spa area and Karlovy Vary hotels are expensive.The room was clean but a strange smell came from the bathroom.Room views to the pedestrian street in front.Beds were comfortable.
A very kind lady at the reception on arrival but on departure another person that did not speek english...
Internet for free in room with our own computer. Average breakfast served in a bright breakfast room.
Had a dinner on restaurant U Svejka , few min walking from the hotel, and the food was good.
Karlovy Vary itself is a very beautiful town ,but one night is enough, unless you go for the Spa treatments. In this case might be better to stay anywhere different.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank margarida
Reviewed April 14, 2012

Hotel is very good located in pedestrian area in city center. Only no very good thing on hotel is - do not have parking space. If you go to this hotel, you need to parking in hotel Thermal parking space. Parking place is paid aprox 10 eur / day. You need to walk aprox 10 minutes to hotel Palatin. So my comment - if you come for 1 night stay, take only handbag.
We had room on 2 floor, room is very big, very big bed, bathroom is also big size. My personall feeling was - the bed mattress is too soft for my.
Breakfast menu is diverse and good quality.

1  Thank zuzana_gombikova
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Stayed for one night in a huge room with even bigger bathroom with 2 sinks - I think that's overdoing it a bit.
Nicely situated in the city center next to the colonnade with the hot springs taps where ever local gets his/her mug full of hot and very badly tasting water.
Interesting walk across the city that houses great scenic and decorational subjects - amongst other the big (very big) hotel from the James Bond movie "Casino Royal". Lots of shops with jewelry and souvenirs and tourists mainly from China and Russia. Local staff do not speak English very well - not even in the most succesful restaurants, but a bit of German will do.
Hotel staff very poor in English as well, but helpful and friendly.
You have to park the car (and pay for full days/nights) something like 1,5 km away - and it's difficult to find ones way when getting to the hotel by car to load of your goods as all roads are one-way - even our GPS lost it several times.
Breakfast was quite average - nice and clean, few bits of meat, some cheese and cereals and coffe/tea/juice. Nothing special but not bad at all.
Should I come back here, I'd probably stay at a less expensive hotel a bit out of the center.

4  Thank LisPetersson
Reviewed April 3, 2012

Located in the middle of the pedestrian street in Karlovy Vary, there's only a short walk to all the attractions.

Room was large and bathroom was even larger. Well kept and functional. Beds were too soft for my taste. I think it was ok for a single night, but if I were to stay longer I would chose something with a little more atmosphere.

The breakfast was in all respects mediocre - the quality of the produce was low, the bread was bordering stale and the juice had been poured into glasses for hours. Breakfast was definitely a regarded an annoying cost rather than a service to the guests.

Reception staff was correct, but neither helpful nor welcoming. The breakfast waiter rates amongst the most inefficient I have ever experienced and the used tables were left uncleaned until the end of the breakfast period.

All in all it was ok value, but I doubt I will ever come back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else....
3  Thank mwestermann