Carlsbad Plaza Medical Spa & Wellness Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Marianskolazenska 223/25, Karlovy Vary 360 01, Czech Republic   |
Ranked #15 of 93 Hotels in Karlovy Vary
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Gorgeous hotel, really deluxe. Lived in an exclusive room with a balcony room on the 3rd floor -on the same floor is the spa, very comfortable, in a robe of a number and you're in the best spa in Karlovy Vary. Very friendly personal.Very good leaning - in the morning and vecherom. Gorgeous view imperial baths, and amazingly, it is very quiet at night. In general, the feeling of luxury! Not convenient for men and women day in the spa. I think this division is not necessary

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 297Jiae

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This hotel has a nice spa!! Swimming pool, whire pool, hot pool, many kinds of sauna.
We visited with 3 years daughter so we enjoyed clean and desinged pools.
Staff were also nice. They are smart and kind.
The location was good. If you visit this hotel, you can enjoy walking along beautiful Kalrovy Vary streets.
The room was enough space and clean bathroom and nice amenities.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank AKT0711
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

The food is nice nut a bit expensive. Japanese Miso soup was brilliant, a bit oversalted though. New Zealand lamb is average. Thin pasta with vegetable is nice.The wine service was intrusive.The wine waiter was struggling to sell us bottle of wine.Wines on list are expensive,starting from 120 Euros.We were annoyed by waiters relentless efforts to sell us bottle of expensive wine.So we went for the only cheap wine on list. Korean wine Churum. Wine waiter got really upset and left,saying this wine is not available at the moment. Fifteen minutes later when he realised we are not going for expensive wine he came back to us and said he has found one tucked bottle of Korean wine by accident...:) :) Cheap stunt used by service industry in countries like Russia and Italy. When we got this "wine"...I could not believe it. Instead of wine in bottle was cheap vodka, deluted with water. I could not believe you can get something like this in four star hotel. Wi Fi is free,but no access to internet either from laptop or from my phone. But in fairness I have to say food is delicious. We end it up with bill of 93 Euros for two persons.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Max R
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

I've been several times in the past five years; coming all the way from Canada - why? Because it is worth it. I went back late August 2011 only five months after my last trip - and stayed two weeks this time. I came back feeling like a million dollars - and the staff were so friendly and accomodating.

For variety and flexibility, I went off the meal plan in week 2 - and actually preferred this approach - but the meal plan is perfectly fine.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank kakaface
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

We were client of this hotel for four years. Our bad experience started from the first day we arrive.
Room they gave us were more ridicules then nice, mums luggage were lost( they simply told us that it's were lost in the airport but they delivered it to other room)
We find it with waisting our time and putting extra afford. Hotel manager didn't even apologize for our inconvenience. Room was cleaned with chlore in the evening before we went to bed.
Hotel clinic manager Maxim Frenkel  was extremely unfriendly he put me to tears, I was
 loosing control, he raised his voice and treated us like his employee not like hotel clients! When I sad that I'll write a bad review he just reply to me that he doesn't care.
Medical treatments are below 0!!!
And no where to complain because the manager is the son of director. Everything is moving in their own circle.
It's shame!
Irina Popova London

• Stayed August 2011
13 Thank Excellento1
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

The hotel and clinic staff have really pulled up their socks and were very attentive, friendly, and accomodating to any and all requests. The services and food offered were all as advertised, and the clinic and the procedures therein were all top notch.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kakaface
Beverly Hills
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2010

On August 16, 2010, I arrived from Los Angeles at the Carlsbad Plaza Hotel in Karlovy Vary, Czech Republic for 10 days medical treatment. I have made a booking directly with the hotel, on their Web-site. My package included half-board and medical procedures, which were the main purpose of my visit to this hotel.

Upon my arrival to the hotel, ater 22 hours flight from LA, I was unpleasantly surprised to find out that my room is not ready and will not be ready until after 3:00 PM. It was especially strange, since hotel's car was meeting me at the airport and brought me to the hotel, as was agreed upon and scheduled with the hotel, at approximately 12:00 noon. Then, the people at the reception were trying to accommodate me at the room on the 4-th floor (which serves in reality as a first floor, facing internal yard), with my windows looking out onto the wall. There was no garden or balcony, which were confirmed by the hotel in my reservation. On top of it, the room was dirty, and outside yard was dirty and full of cigarette butts. I refused to stay in this room and was offered possibly the smallest room in the hotel, which was in reality the second, ancillary room of the Carlsbad suite. All other choices were either worse, or required substantial additional payment per night. So, I was forced (and got stuck) to stay in this claustrophobic room, which had so many problems, that it is almost impossible to enumerate them all. It had dirty, stained carpet, smell of tobacco; the bath tab was plugged and did not drain properly, Internet was not working (if it was working occasionally, the speed was below 200 kbps, which is hardly enough for sending E-mails), personnel was rude and inattentive, etc., etc. Also, to my biggest surprise the phone in my room was somehow switched to the suite next door, therefore for 4 days, either I was receiving phone calls at 3:00 AM, addressed to room 315, or someone else was answering my phone calls, addressed to my room 314, when my partners were desperately trying to reach me from Los Angeles. It was a nightmare!
All my complaints to the hotel personnel remained unanswered. They were either promising to fix these problems, or just plainly stating that they do not know what to do, because “their engineer is out of town”. It was bizarre...

Then, I made an attempt to launch a complaint with the General Manager of the hotel, but it did not change anything. When I finally was able to talk to the General Manager,
Mr. Jakov Frenkel, he was behaving in intimidating and insulting manner, was offering for me “to check out and move to the hotel across the street, if I do not like his hotel” and finally stated that “this hotel is 5 stars hotel and maybe you should go to Grand Hotel Pupp, which is cheaper”. It was just unbelievable! In addition, Mr. Frenkel, who looked like "Russian mafia guy", was talking to me in bulling, insulting and condescending manner, which I find extremely inappropriate and unacceptable. It looks to me (and I was told, that this hotel is indeed owned by some “Russian mafia” types), that the owner (s) of the hotel encourage hotel management to cater to the clientele from the Russian province, since “they do not know much about the service and do not count the money”). I was told about it by several staff members of the hotel. Nice, convenient policy, isn’t it?

So, this complaint to the Manager was apparently worthless, and I got stuck in this dump for 7 more days (due to the pre-paid medical treatments). It took me one phone call to the IT provider in Prague, which corrected my Internet speed and increased it to 1.2 Mbps without any problems (as per General Manager, it was impossible to do); I personally supervised and directed some maintenance man to switch the phones, etc. Nevertheless, the service and "ambiance" of the hotel did not change or improved. The entire hotel was catering to the Russian clientele only, speaking only in Russian and behaving like Russians were behaving in late seventies in the former Soviet Union. It was awful and humiliating experience to deal with these people, to see, how hotel personnel is serving the tables, what kind of food they are serving (it was absolutely uneatable – for example, one of the dishes was “fish-risotto”, which included fish bones, as well); to see absolutely empty restaurants or dirty spa (where they were serving tea without a sugar, asking to "sign to the room" for a spoon of honey). It was absolutely insane... and sad to see this falling apart hotel, with faceless, untrained personnel, empty restaurants and wondering Russian clients, who were semi-drunk all the time and behaved in unacceptable, uncivilized manner. It was like "deja-vu" for me, who emigrated from Russia 32 years ago... DO NOT GO THERE! IT IS A DUMP!!!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo