“east meets west”

The Castle Spa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed June 5, 2012

old Eastern European standards live on!! Once the playground of Soviet Party officials, old habits seem to die hard. Those used to western standards of presentation/service may be a little disappointed but this is a real throwback to the past. Relatively pricey, the spa pool itself is a bit of a letdown. Take the waters throughout the town;it's still worth taking time to visit this elegant location that used to be Carlsbad and which has been German, Austrian and now Czech.

3  Thank frazerprice

Reviewed November 28, 2011

Exceptionally beautiful spa in the centre of town. Expensive by Czech but not by Western standards with a menu of services and packages, however you are limited by time, and the changing rooms are tiny, especially in the height of winter when you have layers of clothes. The service is still old Eastern European, very strict and regimented, but the pool and surrounding relaxation area is divine. Worth a visit even if your hotel has an in-house spa.

7  Thank LordSmudge
Reviewed October 26, 2011

We booked a four hour package costing around £70 each. We were really looking forward to it; what a let down.

The pool is very small and outside the treatments there is very little to do: for example; limited relaxing areas, no sauna's or steam rooms apart from a small wooden box that can seat two people.

We had a massage which at best was ok but the room was very bright and they played regular radio pop music and not relaxing music, the phone kept ringing as well; hardly relaxing!

We were due to leave at 3pm and came out of our massages at 2.45 very thristy and wanted to have a quick 5 minute drink of tea before leaving the spa area to get changed. What happened next was unbeliveable.

We started to pour the tea and they stopped us and said we had to leave now. We tried to point out that there was 15 minutes left but they then shoved a piece of paper in our faces pointing to the time. We tried to explain there was time and we would be less that 5 minutes but no one could speak English. Frankly they had our money by then and didn't seem to care. What a shame, even if we were 1 minute over which we were't we could have been allowed to have our drink surely.

As it worked out we were dressed and outside the building with 6 minutes to spare.

The whole point of going to the Spa in the first place was undone and made us very angry. The place is too clinical, has limited falcilites and they need to train their staff with a liitle customer service after all it was not a BMW production line!

We stayed in the Hotel Romance across the road which was lovely, and which is why we chose the Castle Spa. We would return to the hotel but find differant Spa falcilites next time.

7  Thank Charles O
Reviewed August 17, 2011

For some reason Tripadvisor has the chateau spa and the castle spa listed separately. They are one and the same.

The hotel romance puskin offers a discount on several of the packages there. It literally is right across the street so very convenient. We booked our 3-4 hour spa packages for the Castle spa when we arrived at the hotel for that afternoon. I got the super aroma package which had four treatments: 50 minute aromatherapy massage, 15 minute alternating cold/hot water therapy for feet/lower legs, pearl bath for 15 minutes (alternating power jets of water while you lay in bathtub) and 30 minutes oxygenoherapy. About $100. Puskin also has their own massage therapy including the lymphatic drainage and slimming massage but I was told you need perhaps 4 treatments to see an effect. They were fully booked so couldn't try it. They did book me into the Elizabeth spa for another aromatherapy massage (about $50 for 50 minutes). Not as nice a facility as the Castle spa, have to bring your own towel (whereas our package at Castle spa included towels and robes). Of the two, I think the massage was better at Castle spa, but, my husband didn't think his massage (male masseus) was very good at Castle spa--he would have preferred a firmer massage. I don't think he communicated this to the masseus (my husband doesn't have a whole lot of experience with spas or masseus). If there are specific spa services that you want, would suggest you book in advance. I did check out the prices next door at the Promenada hotel but they were more expensive and they note that the services are really “cosmetic.”

Upside of castle baths are that they are clean, quiet, not crowded, and just across the street from our hotel. Downside is that they require your purchase a package so you can not be more selective about your treatments.

10  Thank lacontessa1
Reviewed August 17, 2011

By the time we got to Karlovy Vary, I was aching from traveling through Europe for several days and lugging luggage. My treatments at this spa really helped work out the kinks. The hotel romance puskin offers a discount for their guests on several of the packages here. It literally is right across the street so very convenient. We booked our 3-4 hour spa packages for the Chateau or Castle spa when we arrived at the hotel for that afternoon. I got the super aroma package which had four treatments: 50 minute aromatherapy massage, 15 minute alternating cold/hot water therapy for feet/lower legs, pearl bath for 15 minutes (alternating power jets of water while you lay in bathtub) and 30 minutes oxygenoherapy. About $100. Puskin also has their own massage therapy including the lymphatic drainage and slimming massage but I was told you need perhaps 4 treatments to see an effect. They were fully booked so couldn't try it. They did book me into the Elizabeth spa for another aromatherapy massage (about $50 for 50 minutes). Not as nice a facility as the Chateau spa, have to bring your own towel (whereas our package at Chateau spa included towels and robes). Of the two, I think the massage was better at Chateau spa, but, my husband didn't think his massage (male masseus) was very good at Chateau spa--he would have preferred a firmer massage. I don't think he communicated this to the masseus (my husband doesn't have a whole lot of experience with spas or masseus). If there are specific spa services that you want, would suggest you book in advance.

Downside of the Chateau spa is that they only offer packages so you can't be as selective as to what you want. Upside is that we had no problems booking a package for the same day and it was just across the street from our hotel. The spa is clean, quiet, and newly renovated.

Remember to take a swimsuit (two piece suggested for ladies) and flip flops or other footwear to wear in the spa. The pool and some treatments are in an area with both males and females. Individual baths and massages are private (e.g., pearl in the nude, massages are asked to remove the top of bathing suit).

1  Thank lacontessa1