“Facilities, service in spa, general attitude of staff.”
Review of Hotel Thermal

Hotel Thermal
Ranked #41 of 91 Hotels in Karlovy Vary
California, Pennsylvania
“Facilities, service in spa, general attitude of staff.”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

I visited the Hotel Thermal upon being referred to them for the thermal baths. I asked at the hotel front desk. They abruptly handed me a paper and pointed to the door and said "out the door and then left. I went out the door and left only to see a sign pointing up and then right and then up and up and up! The walk was very steep and after a recent injury, I was not prepared for the distance. I arrived finally to be greeted with a frowning Czech woman. She gave me my change and started shouting something at me. When I did not understand, she started shouting louder. Perplexed I followed the maize to the dressing room, shower and pool. Finally, heading to the thermal pool, I step into what is a swimming pool, a cold swimming pool. There are no thermal pools to be had.

The pool was about 82 degrees and it was the only choice. I was told by the cleaning lady that the sauna was "kaput" and there was no hot pool. I left, asked for a refund and was told no refunds.
The hotel front desk, after a lot of discussion, called the lady at the spa and told her to refund my money. I had to go back up the hill, but this time was allowed to use the elevator which is only for hotel guests. The women handed me my money back but was still shouting something in Czech at me.

I was considering to stay at this hotel, but now, of course, I would not consider it. After navigating the hallways, elevator, stairs I realized how shabby and ugly the hotel is.
I was very glad that I did not book a stay there.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Akasmiley

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Baku, Azerbaijan
Reviewed August 19, 2012

This was our second time in Karlovy Vary since 2007 and our second stay in Thermal Hotel. We never wanted to choose another place when planning our trip and we're glad that we came back!
Even though the hotel building doesn't really fit in the city with old-style, 4-5 floor buildings, even though it looks a bit ugly outside - this is the best place to stay in Karlovy Vary and I mean it!
The hotel is extremely clean! The staff was very professional and friendly (most of them).
We were 3 people and we reserved the comfort apartment (not a regular room) and it was just great! The room was clean and very well organised. The bed sheets, the towels, the bedrooms - everything was clean, clean and clean...Standard rooms have a very nice balcony with a great view.
The food was fine with the carefully prepared menu. The reastaraunt was large and bright and the hotel staff did well serving so many people at one time.
Thermal has a perfect location. Only 10 min to a historical colonade with mineral water and 5 min to the center with shops, cafes, etc.
The medical examination, treatment, service at Thermal Hotel was just perfect. The medical staff was very professional and friendly. They speak perfect Russian and some english.
We never used the pool so nothing to say here.
Overall great place to stay for a few days or weeks. Will come back here again...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Rovshana
Chattanooga, TN
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We did not stay at this hotel but went to Karlovy Vary on a day trip from Prague. We scheduled a massage at the Hotel Thermal and were very, very pleased with the service and the price. One of the best whole body massages I have ever received and the price was the best. As we were a bit lost, the front desk staff was extremely helpful in locating the spa and the spa staff - while they did not speak any English whatsoever - were incredibly helpful and did a great job.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EspanaTraveler
Kharkov, Kharkivs'ka Oblast', Ukraine
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Better just visit the pool from this hotel. Its the best pool in the city, with clean water and awesome view!
It's definitely worth the money!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Irina I
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed April 24, 2012

My friend stayed in Thermal, I visited her and was impressed. Room was spacious, very clean and modern looking. Hotel was very comfortable and all visitors were very welcomed. Great meals in restaurant.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Zina B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Thankfully, we did not stay here. On a recent trip to Karlvoy Vary my boyfriend and I parked our car at the Hotel Thermal (recommended by our hotel as we could not park at ours). The next day, we went to retrieve our car and pay. The machine did not take a 1000 Czech note, although it was pictured on the side of the machine so we assumed we could use it. We were told to go in a pay at reception. The amount that showed up on the machine inside was an extra 40 Cz crowns than what we were shown outside. I tried to explain that to the receptionist, but she was having none of it. She ended up changing our 1000 note and telling us to go back outside, and then simply walked away, snarling. I was left standing there with my mouth wide open -- in all of my travels I have never encountered someone so rude and blase as I did here. This is not what the tourism industry is about. Would not recommend the hotel based on that experience alone.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank saturdayedition

Travelers are raving about these Karlovy Vary hotels

Sandviken, Sweden
Reviewed November 3, 2011

Karlovy Vary is an old small beautiful town with amazing buildings in the old traditional czech style.
There’s a coherence among the surrounding buildings but the Thermal hotel doesn’t do this place justice. It ruins the ancient vibe of this breathtaking story-book-like town, but on the other hand reminds about the communist history of the country. First and foremost the staff is indifferent, not very helpful when help is asked, for instance, we wanted to book a spa treatment at the so-called popular spa and were directed to call the spa directly only to find out that they only spoke Czech as if the hotel staff would not know that! Upon asking them to help us call and book for us, they did but in a nonchalant manner. The décor in the room was plain, boring, kind of what one would expect in a hostel or 2 star hotel…
Then came the breakfast, not so much to choose from…. Very average.
Would I stay at this hotel again? No! Would I visit Karlovy Vary again? Yes.
Note: This beautiful town is full of elegant shops so if you love to shop there’s lots of jewelry and fancy clothing shops and prices are not that cheap either especially along the promenade.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple