“A Terrific Treat” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Promenada Restaurant

Hotel Promenada Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 140 Restaurants in Karlovy Vary
Cuisines: French, Czech, Eastern European, Central European, International
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
New York City, New York
“A Terrific Treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Those who read my reviews know that I rarely give out five stars. In my view too many reviewers hand out five stars for what are, in my view, three- or four-star experiences. The Hotel Promenada Restaurant, however, deserves every one of its five stars. First, the setting is small and intimate. The room is charming, traditional, and not overdone or kitschy. Second, the service is superlative -- given with a broad smile and great cheer. There is no whiff of the Soviet era here -- the staff aims to please! The headwaiter in particular deserves kudos for his good humor, knowledge and kineticism.

Most importantly, the food is excellent. Our dinner here was our first in the Czech Republic and remained our favorite regardless of where we traveled. In my view, you will have trouble finding a better restaurant in the country to combine traditional Czech cuisine with excellent ingredients and superior execution.

The best choices are those prepared tableside. The goose liver really benefitted from the flambee -- it was slightly crisp on the outside, tender and flavorful on the inside. The duck was also winner, its skin crispy and the meat suffused with deep fowl flavor. The duck gravy was superbly rich and savory -- you wanted to splash it on everything. Only the dumplings were a little dry and under-flavored. The wines by the glass were excellent accompaniments to the meal. Finally, the crepe suzette prepared tableside was far better than the average dessert crepe. it was not too sweet and had excellent notes of bitter orange and dark caramel.

All in all, this was a memorable meal and a great choice when you're in Karlovy Vary

3 Thank andrew l

• Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Heidelberg, Germany
“Best restaurant 2013 in Karlovy Vary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

The restaurant is small but they have great foods with good prices. We ordered roast duck with red cabbage and dumplings, my husband said that it's the vest roast duck he'd ever eaten in Czech. Salad with chicken breast and their croquette were also very tasty. We ate also their dessert which is dumplings filled with sour cherry puree and served with cream, for me it's not so delicious but I believe they have another good desserts. Their black beer is good! The service was very friendly. We spent only about 50 euros for what we had plus three kind of drinks (cola, orange juice and beer). From the trip advisor's reviews, this restaurant has become Karlovy Vary's best restaurant 2013! And after we came out from there, we could say that it's true!

• Visited August 2013
Prague, Czech Republic
“The best restaurant in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Whatever you order here, it is like a paradise. Fois Gras, beef steak, tomato soup and pancakes, all of these will be unfogettable experience!

1 Thank Rad28
Prague, Czech Republic
“Fantastic restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I ate here on the 10th August to celebrate out wedding anniversary and I can honestly say it is one of the best restaurants I have been to in a long time, and we eat out a lot. Everything about the place is perfect, he food delicious and the service excellent. We can't wait to visit Karlovy Vary again soon and go back here for dinner. I had king prawns for starter and my wife had mussels, then sea bream and pepper steak for our mains, each was delicious and presented to us beautifully.

Geneva, Switzerland
“Perfect”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel manager (not the same hotel as the restaurant) and after seeing all of the good reviews, we decided to come here. We were not disappointed. The staff was very friendly and spoke many languages. The food was delicious. My partner ordered the various fish and I ordered the halibut. We also had the free hors d'oeuvres (stuffed tomato and paté). Everything was delicious down to the last veggie. The next evening, we tried a different restaurant and immediately regretted that we did not go to Promenada instead.

• Visited July 2013