“Poor Švejk”

Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Czech restaurants squeeze the life out of the literary character Švejk, with his name popping up everywhere. Unfortunately, the food offered at these restaurants often tends to be generic as well. The service at the Karlovy Vary one was poor, for receiving a menu, ordering and then paying. The food was unspectacular, which is a shame, because it would be nice to find a Švejk restaurant that lives up to the terrific novel, and with more than just a stuffed doll out the front for tourists to pose next to.

5  Thank brendanb76

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I visited this restaurant based on (good) reviews from Tripadvisor. The restaurant was full of turists who definitely came there to try typical Czech meals - dumplings, duck, pork, cabbage...I ordered beef fillet in cream sauce with dumplings. The meat with the sauce tasted very good indeed, but dumplings were a dissapointment for me as they were not home made. At the price level I did not suppose to get a ready-to-cook food.
The drinks are overpriced - a pint of beer costs over 3.20 EUR.
The staff - it depends. The first waiter we met was quite rude and unfriendly - we asked for a table for 4 and got reply we only could sit outside (it was 12 degrees Centigrate outside with showers). We just ignored him and walked inside - 5 minutes later we were introduced to a table for 4 by another waiter who was much more friendly and sympathic.
I won´t come back next time I´m in Karlovy Vary, because this restaurant offers nothing special.

1  Thank Voyager010
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Restaurant specialised in Czech cuisine, most of the customers are group of tourists that have been send to this restaurant by their tour operator. As I am Czech I can easily tell that their cuisine is rather average, staff rather slow ( as it usually is in restaurants getting their revenue from tourist - no need to serve well individual visitors), price for food ok, but drinks, including beer overpriced. No reason for second visit.

3  Thank HarveyDent79
Reviewed May 31, 2013

A traditional Czech restaurant and you get plenty of food, not the best in town though. The food is reasonably priced and certainly plentyful. Have half a liter of local beer and one of their traditional menus and you have also a bit of different atmosphere compared with all those fancy restaurants in town.
I recommend to try this place, if only to get a flair of real Czech kitchen.

4  Thank Christian S
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The restaurant is easy to be found and it has a nice decoration.The soup of the day was with sausage and paprika wich I didn't like very much.On the other hand the main course was delicious.I had deer with creamy sause with mushrooms.

1  Thank Maria K