“After reading positive reviews here, we gave it a try - service extremely unfriendly - stay away!”

Restaurace U Svejka
Ranked #19 of 148 Restaurants in Karlovy Vary
Cuisines: Eastern European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 31, 2013

After reading the positive (and a few not so positive) reviews here on TripAdvisor, we decided to give the place a try last night after arriving late in Karlovy Vary.

It was shortly before 23:00 and I asked the waiter in German where we could eat something at that time of night - he rather uninterested and grumpily said that everything closes at 23:00. I asked if we could have a couple of beers at least - he said that we could but they'd be closing soon. Anyway, the unfriendly service made a bad atmosphere and we didn't feel so welcome... we put it down to maybe the waiter having a bad day, or because it was late and he wanted to finish work and go home...

The next day, we decided to give the place another chance, this time for something to eat... The smoked pork in plum sauce was very delicious, and we enjoyed the beer. During the whole time, we had three waiters, one of whom was young and pretty friendly, the other two (one the same as the day before) were extremely unfriendly!

"The straw that broke the camel's back" was when we came to pay... I asked one waiter if they accepted EC cards - he said "I don't know, maybe" and that was it. His colleague later came over with the card machine and handed me to enter my PIN... I told him that I needed to see the amount before entering my PIN - he understood quite well what I meant but didn't offer to do anything, so I simply removed the card from the machine to cancel the transaction and he was then extremely annoyed and more unfriendly. He then re-entered the amount, showed me, and let me enter my PIN.

I will NEVER go there again, which is a shame, as the food was okay, not expensive, and beer was good. I recommend staying well away and spending your money elsewhere where you are more appreciated!

4  Thank SmokinMedia_com
There are newer reviews for Restaurace U Svejka

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Good equipped restaurant located close to the theatre in the main "spa street" of Karlovy Vary. We were there just for a drink and that was the problem.
As soon as we got the menu we said we are only for drink and all the politeness finished and we felt invisible by asking for one more drink and the bill.
For 5 euro tip to the bill o 2 thsd. CZK the kowtoued to russian turist for ages.
The menu looked quite good (allthough prices seems to be high, drinks are expensive) and so did the food we saw by the next table.

5  Thank Daniel K
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Very good restaurant typical food the waiter are polite and friendly, the duck and the pork are really good its better to book the table because it depend on the time it's difficult to find a table.

1  Thank trajano29
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Trip advisor brought me here. I might have set my expectations up too high but objectively speaking I didn't get an overall good impression of this place. The food didn't taste good, the service was poor (our waiter was a guy who acted as if he was in such a hurry even when he wasn't).

2  Thank Famil M
Reviewed December 25, 2012

This restaurant is really easy to find, as every time we walked past the small alley leading to the restaurant, there were small groups of people either entering or leaving. Firstly, we ate here on Christmas day at 4pm - and were very surprised that they were even open.
The restaurant has a lovely cosy, warm feel, which is very casual - perfect for devouring our pork knuckle (which was perfectly cooked to fall off the bone) whilst downing two pints of dark beer. The pork knuckle was really cheap (about 10Euros), whilst each beer was about (3 Euros). Service is fast and efficient (perhaps a tiny bit abrupt), but hey...it WAS Christmas day and they were working!
Would definitely recommend this restaurant if you want a great meal at a bargain price.

1  Thank nleow