“Great Stay Overshadowed by Pool Problems”

Hotel U Kralovny Elisky
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Hradec Kralove
Quebec
“Great Stay Overshadowed by Pool Problems”
Reviewed April 27, 2007

I lived in Hradec Kralove for 1 year and I highly recommend this town to visit. HK is lovely and affordable. I had my parents visiting for 2 weeks and booked them into this hotel. It is the best one in town, trust me I looked, talked to locals and visited other places so I know what I am talking about. First they put my parents into a small room at the top of the building with the slanting roof cutting through the ceiling. It was very low and uncomfortable. I was annoyed because this was a 2 week stay and they were making a nice chunk of money with us. It was out of season, so I am not sure why they did this.
My advice to travelers in the Czech republic is to be very vocal and not shy and you will get good service. Otherwise the people seemed oblivious and good customer service is a weak point outside Prague.
Anyhow, I asked for a better room and got it. The hotel is lovely inside with a beautiful inner courtyard that is encircled by the rooms. So you go out your room and look down all the way to the courtyard of the first floor. The resto was great, we ate there a lot and enjoyed it. Table service varied, some days great, some days strange. My husband got a drink poured on him and nothing really was done about this, no free drink or anything. We did get a good laugh about it though....
The biggest problem about my parents stay was the pool, or lack there of. I booked them there because I was teachimg during the day and they could spend some nice time at the pool. Well, the pool is closed during the day because it is rented out to a local daycare. I think this is not right because we pay for that service and here they are making more money and taking ours too and not letting us into the pool. My parents actually got kicked out from the poool by the daycare workers. So no pool during the day.
Then when they went back at night there were a bunch naked people in the pool! So they didn't feel comfortable then either, so basically there was no pool ever. We complained because we know that it is not normal just to go nude swimming anytime. In Hradec Kralove public pool you can but at clearly scheduled times.This is not a norm in Czech society according to my Czech friend who really laughed when I told them about this. This is a small hotel pool with tourists from all over the world. Many people feel it is culturally unacceptable to nude swim and a touristic hotel should know this. They certainly enforced the rules about wearing shower shoes at the pool , as my mom was told firmly by the lifeguard at the pool but it was okay to have no swim suit. So if you go to this hotel, you can expect spotty service, when it's good, it's great but when it is off it is really off and you cant really do anything about it.
I was glad I was there to stand up for my parents and it is so key not to be embarrassed to ask for the good service you expect.

• Liked — location and cleanliness
  • Disliked — unpleasant pool situations
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank Cles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Laval, France
Reviewed April 10, 2007

This may be an example of what a perfect hotel shoul be : one of the nicest location available in a pretty old town, a lovely renovation and superb maintenance, a quiet and comfortable room, a sparkling pool, a great breakfast with that staff that obviously is wishing to please. It does deserve its 4 stars.

• Liked — Everything !
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank toutoute
Murren, Switzerland
Reviewed November 14, 2006

We arrived in this small town not knowing what we would find. We discovered a delightful traditional square and on one side was our Hotel. Access was a little tricky at they were relaying the setts in the square but we managed. Whilst the room was simple it had all the necessary features and a very good bathroom although the bath was only half length. The beds looked inappropriate for the style of hotel but turned out to be very comfortable. Good breakfast and friendly staff. A small pool was trialled and found adequate. The basement has a bar cum night club which was very quiet for a friday night . Perhaps the locals start partying after midnight?
Some good restaurants in the immediate vicinity.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
1 Thank weemacs
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 29, 2006

Only stayed one night at this "quaint" hotel but enjoyed the stay very much. The restaurant was very good and the bar in the lower level was very lively.

This hotel even has a T-Mobile Hotspot for those who need internet access.

My only complaint would be that our room did not have a shower, only a tub with a hand-held attachment. The water pressure was quite low so it made for a difficult shower/bath.

Other than that, the room was large, the bed very comfortable and the surroundings very nice.

• Stayed March 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed November 21, 2005

This small historic town 100km. from Prague is worth a visit if you are in the area, and this Hotel is the place to stay. A refurbishment of some ancient town houses, it is extremely comfortable, well equipped, and atmospheric.

There is a good dining room and very good service.

And bring your swimming costumes - there is a wonderful pool, sauna and jacuzzi too!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member