“Nice place to stay...”

2. Reasonable prices
3. Great location (just a few meters from the bridge and square
4. Nice live music (piano) in the evening

Why not:
Too many noisy and drunk people on the street (all night long - till 6am). Don´t even think about 2 sleep with open windows...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank pamatu049

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
San Diego, California
Reviewed August 4, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for a few nights on a trip around eastern Europe. It's kind of a no-frills type of hotel. However, we found it to be very charming, have an adequate breakfast (included), and most importantly, clean. Our room had multiple levels, as did the rest of the hotel, so I wouldn't recommend this for people who have trouble moving/getting around. However, if you're a young and healthy person, it's a great place to stay. You can't beat the location, as it's just off the main square. I would highly recommend this hotel to the kind of traveler who's looking for a deal and isn't expecting a 5-star hotel, but who wants a clean and cozy place to relax at the end of the day.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
NSW
Reviewed August 27, 2008

My wife and I stayed in U Maleho Vitka (also known as Little Vitus Inn) for 3 nights. We booked it through, and on the recomendation of, a Czech booking agency. I have read the recent review of GromitVA and have to concur with many of the sentiments expressed.
Our room was no.8 (spider room) which was on the second floor at the front of the building and overlooked the street, and action, below. We had requested a double room and got two singles pushed together (what is it about Europe that they don't believe in real double beds!). Anyway, the bed(s) were not too bad, although my feet hung over the end. The main room in our accommodation was HUGE. It included the 'double' bed, three desks, and a small coffee table with two small chairs. Notwithstanding these inclusions, and our two pieces of luggage, there was still oodles of space. None of the furniture in the room could be regarded as quality, but each served its purpose. On one of the desks was a small TV, but the reception was poor and only local - couldn't really see the point of it being there. Running off the main room was a small hallway with built in wardrobe and cupboards along the sides, which led to the bathroom (shower and toilet - unlike with the previous reviewer our toilet didn't ring bells when flushed!). There was no tea/coffee in the room, no air conditioning, but there was a small electric fan to stir the air. No internet available in the inn. The room had a telephone. Our room, and the inn generally, were very clean.
Breakfast was included in the price. It was buffet style, comprising a cooked option (eg scrambled eggs), various cold meats and cheese (no salad), bread (toaster available), pastries, fruit, juice, cornflakes, and tea/coffee. It could have been good - but was generally poor. This was because the inn also offers breakfast to the general public in a separate part of the building, and the same 2 or 3 staff look after both the inn guests and the paying public. If you arrive early for breakfast you would have a good choice. But nothing seems to be replenished; so once it goes, bad luck - staff concentrate on the paying public rather than the inn guests. Come for breakfast after 8:30am and the pickings are likely to be slim, and you'll probably have to do your own table clearing and cleaning.
Finally, location. Right at the heart of things. But that brings its own problems, and I 'll just support the comments of GromitVA - it can be very noisy until the early hours of the morning, and just when you think 'quiet at last' the cleaning and delivery trucks start arriving. The noise is tolerable if you close the windows and use ear plugs.
Conclusion - great room, great location, mediocre breakfast, noisy, price reasonable. Stay again? - I wouldn't, but my wife would. I think she was influenced by the fantastic mojitos available at the inn.

• Liked — Room size, location (access)
  • Disliked — Location (noise)
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank aussie_bmh
Northern Virginia
Reviewed August 6, 2008

We stayed two days and one night at this hotel as a side trip from Prague to Cesky Krumlov.

I have mixed feelings about this hotel in all honesty I would give it 2.5 stars. Normally I am very generous with my reviews but this hotel left me wanting for more.

I really liked the interior decor with a very spartan but Austrian alps lodge influence. I also like the fact that they've got the Czech fairy tale theme to name the rooms. I viewed their web site carefully and looked at their web site photos closely when choosing a room. It looked simple, but warm and inviting.

That being said, the rooms are indeed VERY spartan. We stayed in Goat Agatha (which was a sizeable room) and charged as a more expensive suite. This room is #13 (my lucky number) and at the top of 3 flights of wooden stairs. There is no elevator in this hotel so don't bring a lot of luggage.

The hotel (and the Goat Agatha room) is located on the main drag to the castle and the street below was very noisy for about 18 hours of the day. After the crowds of the day subsided, inevitably you could hear drunken college students (or adults for that matter) making their way down the street and having fun (after all they're on vacay too!). We just put in the ear plugs and the noise was tolerable.

Goat Agatha has several windows that open up to the street below. The curtains are tiny and sheer and don't completely cover the windows. This wouldn't be a problem if there wasn't a hotel room directly across the alley facing into the room. So you have to position the curtains strategically or risk seeing your neighbors. I awoke the next morning and looked out the window only to see a man in his underwear. Talk about a mood killer.

The king bed in Goat Agatha is really two twins pushed together (not uncommon for Europe). The bathroom (with small shower) was clean but small (there's also a large tub in the corner of the bedroom). Our main beef was the fact that an alarm bell would sound about 60 seconds after you flushed the toilet. At first we couldn't figure out why the alarm would go off (it sounded like a school bell) but then we figured it out. We never asked the owner about -- so it will remain a mystery. Needless to say we didn't flush overnight. The shower was awkward in that there's no place to put your shampoo in the shower so you have to open the doors and reach around to get your toiletries. Good thing the bathroom was tiny otherwise this might have been a pain.

Goat Agatha also shares a common door with a room next door. Usually not a problem, except someone was chain smoking all night and the smoke kept seeping under the door. Since I have allergic asthma this made breathing more challenging than usual. And opening the window wasn't an option (because of the noise outside). Alas, a rolled up towel under the door helped.

We could lean out our window and see the castle tower and watch the people below.

The bar downstairs was nice and cozy but doesn't stay open very late. We got there around 10 pm (after walking around the town) and they were eager to close up by 11:00pm sharp and didn't look please when we sat down at 10:00pm. Bar staff didn't speak English (not that we expect this but it was common for staff throughout the Czech Republic working in restaurants and hotels to speak very good English) so we stumbled through with our limited Czech -- trying not to offend.

The location of the hotel is excellent in terms of walking distance to everything and we enjoyed wandering the town. However, get specific directions to this hotel in advance. This medieval town is full of narrow, pedestrian- filled, one way streets and it can be very frustrating getting to the town square near the hotel to drop off your luggage.

Once you drop off your luggage you have to park at Eggenberg Brewery which isn't very far as the crow flies, but because of the one way street system requires you to exit the town and drive all the way around the perimeter (approx 3 miles) to get to the parking lot. Then you have a 10-15 minute walk back to the hotel.

As far as amenities are concerned, make sure you bring your own soap and shampoo. They provide each bed with a towel, a tiny bar of soap and a tiny packet of shampoo -- I do not exaggerate when I say TINY. There are no cups or glasses in the room, but they do have a hair dryer.

The room has a small childrens table and chairs and a larger set of table and chairs. These are solid wood and very sturdy. There's also a wooden rack to hang clothes.

The bedding is also very spartan. There is a fitted sheet on the bed and a small twin duvet with duvet cover-- no top sheet as is the norm for this region. Beds are firm and sturdy.

The in-room guide book is helpful and thorough about providing information about hours of the area attractions as well as where one can find a nearby health club and pool. This is helpful for folks who are staying for several days. They also have a copy of the Czech Fairy Tale that inspired the name of the hotel. Kind of a nice touch. But I think some of the humor gets lost in translation to English.

The staff were kind and helpful. Very granola and laid back which was nice.

Please know that I lived in Germany and Switzerland growing up and am very familiar with this style of hotel. It is what it is and my review is an attempt to be extremely candid, not to deter but to inform. If you know what to expect in advance then I think someone staying at this small hotel will be happier if they are prepared and can adjust expectations accordingly.

Overall this hotel was spotlessly clean and affords a great location within Cesky Krumlov. Not sure if paying the extra money for the larger room was worth it or not. Would I stay there again? Maybe. Would I reccomend it to a family member or a friend ? Sure, but I'd hand them a bottle of shampoo, a blanket and some ear plugs for the overnight stay.

Overall a decent hotel for a very short stay in this interesting town.

• Liked — Location to Castle
  • Disliked — Noise from the street
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank GromitVA
Dallas, TX
Reviewed June 5, 2007

This is a nice old medival inn that is adequate for the money and in a good location. The breakfast is good too.

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank TXDon
Leeds
Reviewed September 25, 2005

We had a really good view of the castle tower from our room. The room was adequate, although the beds were a little hard. The beds were a typical twin/ double but unfortunately they were two singles on opposite sides of the room.

The bathroom was small and luckily we're both thin or we might have struggled to get to the toilet as it was squeezed into a corner between the shower and sink.

Otherwise it was clean and reasonably priced for a hotel with such a good location in Cesky Krumlov. The restaurant downstairs is well priced with good food, and cheap beer. I would stay again but I have seen pictures of some of the other rooms which may be worth upgrading to.

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank sarahdaly1976
pierson
Reviewed August 8, 2005

On the left side of Radnicni Street on the way from the main town square to the river/castle, the ground floor of this Hotel has a quaint bar and restaurant with open fireplace. There is a wide assortment of rooms with plain but adequate wooden furniture/floors (some ceilings have exposed beams). Recently they added an annex on Panska Street. I don't know about their current prices, but in 2004 they were one of the best values in town. Large breakfast buffet and smiling, helpful service that promotes repeat business.

• Stayed March 2004, traveled on business