“Nice location, quiet stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of U Tri sedlaku

U Tri sedlaku
Brno, Czech Republic
“Nice location, quiet stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Located at exact centre of the old city part. All the check in is done fast and friendly. People do not communicate too much, but do what is expected professionally. They service also the restaurant on the ground floor. Room was clean, fast internet, old style furniture was OK for our short stay. Breakfast simple, but OK, covers needs. You can park your car at the hotel, staff will give you permition on arrival, hotel is in walking zone.
City is well known by brewery Budweiser, but do not expect having this beer on any corner. plenty of even small Czech breweries are presented in small pubs or bars. Especially this hotel is serving original Pilsener. Take some beers for fun and jump next door to well known pub Masne Kramy serving original Budweiser in varieties, you can have black too. Make a choice of some typical Czech foodstuff (far from diet) and enjoy fast service.
Even on Saturday, location was unexpectingly quiet. So we made some jogging at the river side too, very nice run and walks, safe. Chateau Hluboka is 15 mins by car, do not miss it next day!
Pleasant stay, good services, fast internet, satellite TV. Enjoy !

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Czech first
Hoorn, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

Room (we stayed in room number 2)
* Fast internet service (for free). You have access to all internet services (ftp, outlook mail, http, etc)
* The room is very clean!
* Very old furniture that does not always work properly
* No desk and just one chair
* No fridge and no glasses in the room except for two in the bathroom
* Small TV
* Astra satellite having access to mostly Czech and German channels (some French and English)
* Curtains that do not entirely close, but do cover the windows sufficiently
* The room has a blow dryer
* Spacious bathroom
* No elevator and a bit of dangerous stairways
* Very basic breakfast not having a whole lot of variety in it

Comments: The room is ok. The pension claims to be a 3-star accommodation. I found that a little overrated. I do need excellent internet services and that is actually what I had. The room has very outdated and old furniture which is broken left and right. In a few words I would say: it's an ok place to sleep

* Staff does not speak German or English at all
* Staff staffing the restaurant is also responsible for checking in guests
* Staff does not listen very carefully, probably because of the work pressure
* Communication in other language than Czech is extremely difficult and frustrating

Comments: The service is extremely questionable. The staff running the restaurant downstairs is also responsible for signing in the guests and show them the room. Arriving at lunchtime or dinner time would definitely under staff the restaurant, which means things will be in a rush. The staff in the restaurant do NOT speak any western language such as English or German. I found that extremely frustrating and difficult, even though I speak fairly good Czech. They don't listen carefully and they are afraid to tell you that something you said was not (entirely) clear to them. The staff even did not fully appreciate the fact that I learned a bit of Czech and took that for granted. Knowing some Czech was a life-saver for me.

Honestly the staff do try everything in their power to make things work for you. They try their best, but the lack of communication keeps being in the way to give the right service that I asked for. This should have been a vacation trip, but when being in the room/pension/restaurant of this facility, I constantly felt like I had to work hard to get the service that I wanted.

Miscellaneous
* If you want your room cleaned, you have to leave the key on the reception bar on the first floor. The staff does not have an extra key, so if you bring your key with you, your room cannot be cleaned. Personally I find leaving the key on the reception bar ridiculous, because the reception and rooms are accessible from the restaurant and there is no oversight. As a solution, the staff asked me to give the key to them and they would return the key to me after cleaning the room.
* We had enough electrical sockets in our room to connect our devices to
* The room does not have air conditioning. I assume the room will be hot in the summer
* The pension is an old building. You do hear noises from both within the pension as well as from the street.
* The restaurant of the pension is ok. We ate there once, but because of ongoing miscommunication I took that business elsewhere.
* I was going to pay for the room with credit card. When trying to pay the room upfront, the staff claimed that the device was broken and said it would take 14 days to get it fixed. They directed me to an ATM to get cash money and pay that way. I had to threaten to leave to get that changed. Strangely enough it was just then that the device would be fixed the Monday after the weekend (we arrived on a Friday).
* When running into the credit card problem the staff had to call management. You would expect a/the manager to get onsite to get things worked out. They did not and that added to my annoyance.

In closing: I appreciate to be in control of situations. In this I was not and with that I frequently had an urge to check-out early, to leave and to take my business elsewhere. It's because of the price, the great internet and the good location that I rated this location 'average'.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple