“Best place to stay in St Thomas”

Secret Harbour Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Benner
Reviewed February 25, 2009

Apartment-style hotel room was clean, spacious and beautiful. The beach is by far the best snorkeling beach on the island and was never overcrowded during our stay. While beaches at other hotels were closed to swimming due to rough surf while we were there, the beach at Secret Harbour never needed to close because it was in a protected cove. The restaurant, like apparently all others on the island, was overpriced but had the best food by a long shot compared to everywhere else we ate, and is situated on the beach so dinner and sunset was a winning combo. And we saved tons of $$ by staying at Secret Harbour because we could use the kitchen in the hotel room to cook some of our meals. Staff was very pleasant and responsive. Happy hour for the guests Tuesday evening was nice and low-key, with food for the kids too. None of the rooms were truly handicapped-accessible, although I had requested a room with no steps, so if you have a disability involving stairs, this may not be the place to stay. Rent a car if you go to St Thomas, as taxis are very expensive (it would have been $50 each way to/from the airport for my family of 3 to get to the hotel, and other trips are comparably priced around the island)! Hotel is 2 minutes from Red Hook so it's easy to get to town.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Sha03
SHBR, General Manager at Secret Harbour Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2009

Thank you for the positive response. I did want to clarify the comment on handicap accessable rooms. We do have four standard king rooms which are accessable next to the lobby. We also have several studio suites which do not have stairs. All one and two bedroom suites do require the use of a stairs to be entered.

Reviewed February 18, 2009

This is a nice Condo/Hotel. We stayed in Romm 733 and it was extra large for the two of us. We had two bathrooms, one bedroom condo. There was an extra pul down bed that sleeps to and the couch opens into a bed that can sleep another two. The balcony was hughe witha table chairs and lounge chairs. We had a full size fridge, oven, microwave and toaster over. There is a coffee maker, two AC and a TV in the livining room. We did not have any issues with the room. The issue is that ST Thomas is built on mountains and its hard to climb up the hills to get to your room. The most exercise I usually do is chase after an ice cream truck and in St Thomas I had to take breaks to climb the stairs to my room. At one point I drove from my room to the beach instead of climbing up the stairs. BTW taxis are expensive and I would recommend renting a car on the island if you plan on doing sightseeing. Back to the hotel, the rooms are clean and the beach is usually quiet. The beach gets busy when the cruise ships dock in St Thomas since Secret harbour is a beautiful place. The beach is a nice place to snorkel and you will see fish, stingrays and turtles. The best place on the island to snorkel is Coki Beach. The resturant is good and food fine.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank markofbklyn
Reviewed January 30, 2009

Very weak beach. Beach is long but very narrow. Overcrowded. Snorkeling is decent over the reefs. Food is ok, but over priced. Made the right choice and moved to the Wyndham.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank dukes94
Reviewed January 29, 2009

My husband, and two sons, ages 14 and 5 spent 6 days at the Secret Harbour Resort. I found them in a travel guidebook, and then read online reviews, and ended up selecting this place. I'm so glad we did. This is a beautiful, well kept, secluded resort. We had a oceanfront one bedroom unit, the room was clean and attractive, plenty large enough with a balcony overlooking the beautiful beach and ocean. The staff was friendly and helpful, and my husband and son took scuba diving lessons from the dive shop there and really enjoyed that. The dive shop has lots of beach gear for sale or rent, snacks, small assortment of drugstore type items and an ATM, which came in handy! I used the fitness room one day, small, but adequate.

The beach was lovely and the water perfect for small kids, very calm, shallow and warm. There is a platform you can swim out to for diving, and you can see the colorful fish hanging around the platform. The snorkeling was fabulous there, we saw lots of colorful fish, turtles, rays, barracuda right there near our beach!
I loved the beach there, it was gorgeous. Relaxing on a beach loungechair, sipping a mai tai, reading and watching my little one playing in the water, priceless!!

There is a pool and hot tub there, which were basically the same temperature. The hot tub jets weren't working while we were there, but no big deal to us really. The pool was very warm, and not very refreshing, but it really didn't bother us. The iguanas seemed to like hanging around the pool too. My younger son loved the pool and preferred that to the beach, go figure! I must warn, the resort is on a hill, and we were on the bottom, so to reach the pool, we had to cross a little street and walk uphill a little ways. People staying in the upper units would have to walk uphill to reach their condo after using the restaurant or beach, so if you stay in a oceanfront room, be forewarned, you may have to do a little uphill walking around the resort. The oceanfront rooms are a little cheaper than the beachfront rooms, but they probably have a more spectacular view.

The resort has a restaurant and bar right on the beach, which gets mixed reviews from us. The bar was terrific, nice vibe and mostly friendly bartenders. Every day they would make a chocolate milk for my 5 year old which he loved. They had wonderful burgers and fries and it was fun to sit on the outdoor patio and feed the iguanas our lettuce and tomatoes from the burgers. Yes, lots of iguanas, all different colors and sizes, they don't bother you at all. At least they didn't bother us. But we were not impressed with the breakfast or dinner at the restaurant, and the prices are expensive. But we had a kitchen and mostly ate breakfast in our unit anyway. And we planned to try out different restaurants in the area for dinner, so again, no big deal.

The only other negative item I would warn about are the taxis, they are very expensive. They charge per person, and a five minute round trip to a nearby restaurant for dinner one night ran us $40 ($5 each one way). We were concerned about renting a car and having to navigate the narrow roads and driving on the left, but my advice would be to rent a car and drive carefully. Otherwise you'll spend hundreds just on taxis getting around the island.

We traveled in August and the weather was very hot and very very humid. We are from the San Francisco Bay Area and are not used to that kind of weather. I really did not enjoy the humidity at all, but I guess you have to expect it that time of year. It took us a few days to acclimate.

The island of St Thomas is beautiful. We found a wonderful friendly taxi driver our second day who was a bit more reasonable with his prices and we hired him to drive us up to Mountain Top one day and around to some of the beaches another day. Mountain Top is supposedly where the banana daiquiri was invented, its a small shopping center at the top of a mountain with a gorgeous view of Magens Bay. I did a little souvenir shopping and had a banana daiquiri, it was delicious.

We didn't have enough time to spend in Charlotte Amalie or the main downtown area, we did a little shopping one day there, so can't say too much about that. But its a pretty area and will have to spend a day there on our next trip.

I also want to mention, I had read some negative reviews about crime and people feeling unsafe on St Thomas. We did not encounter any problems and the vast majority of people were very friendly and helpful. I did not feel unsafe at all. Of course, we didn't spend a lot of time out at night and spent most of our time in touristy areas. I think just have common sense and be aware of your surroundings at all times, no matter where you are.

So overall, big thumbs up to St Thomas and the Secret Harbour Beach Resort. Definitely recommend this hotel to anyone, including families!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank fourtraveldogs
Reviewed December 9, 2008

We stayed at Secret Harbour Beach Oct. 22-31 2008 and we had a great time.
Our ocean view room - or apartment rather - was very spacious with a large living room with two sofas, a dinner table and kitchen, and a balcony with a great sunset view. There was an excellent air con system working the bedroom and living room simultaneously plus fans in every room including the bathroom.
The beach is nice and sandy, but it's quite rocky in the water, however with sandy bits in between. The sea is calm, clear and great for swimming and snorkeling. And very safe for kids.
There's one restaurant, which is decent. And, what seems to be a pretty good beachside bar. We have an infant so we didn't hang out there in the evening, but it looked great and it was quite popular among the other guests.
The hotel is a bit isolated, however. Which is both good and bad, I suppose. But you need a car to go anywhere. Red Hook is within walking distance, but annoyingly there are no sidewalks on the way, so it's a pretty dangerous walk.

We did rent a car at Budget.com in Red Hook and boy was that a mistake. Above the charge for the one day rental they charged 300 dollars on my Visa. I only found out when I checked my bank account after coming back home two weeks later. I guess at worst they're plainly ripping me off in broad daylight, at best they've just made a mistake. In any case, now almost a month later, they still haven't reversed the charges, or even acknowledged that they deducted the 300 dollars from my account. Although I've contacted them several times. Anyway, enough whining from me, bottom line, I have certainly not had a good experience with Budget.com at Red Hook.
Back to the resort. It also features a small but adequate fitness center that we used quite a lot.
Also, on a final note, before we left we did quite a lot of research about where to stay. In the end we narrowed it down to Secret Harbour Beach, Sapphire Beach Resort or Best Western Emerald Beach Resort. I don't know about Emerald beach, we only passed that driving. But I did check out Sapphire, where I had a walk around. Nice beach, but the hotel sure looks run down. The on site restaurant is shut down, so is what looks like it was once a bar or lounge or something. It all looked kind of deserted if it wasn't for a few guests on the beach. So definitely stay at Secret Harbour if you are two choose between the two.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank Finndk
Reviewed December 5, 2008

We have stayed at Secret Harbour 2 times, returning for our 3rd on Christmas Day 2008. Absolutely love it. We stay in a house on St John every year and have decided the past few years to start our trip early with a 3 -4 night stay at Secret Harbour (would recommend a week too). The rooms are very clean, the beach is wonderful and the water is ALWAYS calm - great for snorkeling and swimming, our boys now 13 and 10 love to Kayak there too.
The resturant - Blue Moon Cafe- is one of the best on the Island.
We have noticed that each room is always different, don't expect what you see on the web site however you can count on the rooms being very clean, every day. Beach bar is great too. We love it here - please don't tell too many people, it is a great little secret.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank realtor97
Reviewed November 21, 2008

We stayed at the Secret Harbour from Nov. 8th to Nov. 15th. We had an absolutely wonderful time. We couldn't have asked for a better time. We had our wedding right on the beach there with 29 of our closest friends and family and our reception at the Blue Moon Cafe which is also on the property. What a fantastic time. The food was incredible and the fish was so fresh. Definately an open air fine dining restaurant. You eat and listen to the small waves crashing on the beach.
We also enjoyed snorkeling there as well. We saw some amazing fish out on the right side of the beach if you are looking at the water ( in front of the dive shop). We say stingrays, an octupus, a couple turtles, a puffer fish, rainbow fish among many others. My 11 yr old son and my 2 nephews ages 9 and 5 also did a lot of snorkeling with us and loved it as well.
Our room was nice. We stayed in room 236. The bedroom had a beautiful king size sleigh bed. The living room area had 2 couches ( one that pulls out to a bed) and a love seat. A dining table for 4 people and a nice kitchen with everything you need. Coffee maker, blender, toaster, toaster oven microwave, full size fridge and stove. The patio had a patio set and also 2 lounge chairs. I loved sitting out there at night reading a book and listening to the surf.
I would recommend bringing some deep woods bug spray. The no-see-ums come out right around sunset on the beach. If you don't have bug spray you will get chewed. After applying bug spray we were fine.
Thank you Secret Harbour for a fantastic stay. We will definately be back.

Stayed: November 2008
4  Thank berkleychic
Also consider these accommodations in or near Benner
Lindbergh Bay Hotel and Villas
The Ritz-Carlton, St. Thomas
Sapphire Beach Resort
Sapphire Beach Resort
#4 of 5 in East End

Been to Secret Harbour Beach Resort? Share your experiences!