When you think of going to a small island in the Caribbean, many people, including us, picture a hidden jewel, a clean, well-equipped, nice resort with A/C, large rooms, a sheltered harbour dedicated to just this one resort, an immaculate beach, a walk-out patio that borders the beach, and plenty of umbrella chairs where a friendly waiter comes by and brings you drinks. It would be a place where a real coconut falls during the night for you to find in the morning, where snorkeling starts 50 feet from the beach and fish come right up to you, and where the surf is mild enough that your 3-year old can play at the break without worry.
And Secret Harbour even exceeded those dreams. Even the iguanas behaved themselves and provided some morning entertainment each day. The next place I stay is going to have a hard time keeping up.
Red Hook is only a mile away, the ferry to St. John is recommended - the beaches in the national park are incredible.
If it weren't for the bar/restaurant being under noisy construction, it would have been five stars. The restaurant was open and served good food (not that you would go there for the food). The resort looks condo-ized, with owner-locks on some of the cabinets in our room. But they must all be sold because it operates like a hotel. This may mean some rooms could vary in quality. 214 was very well done if you like those island-color greens and corals. This is not the fanciest hotel in the world, but it seemed like everything you needed was there and more. There is a pool not far away from the beach, but with that beach in front of us, we never saw it.
I also think our off-season timing right after hurricane Irene kept it from being crowded -- seems like it was not full.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secret Harbour is a boutique all-beachfront condominium resort on the Caribbean US Virgin Island of St. Thomas. The resort is situated on the island's Southeast shore on a palm-tree shaded swimming/snorkeling beach with pristine Caribbean blue water and sugary sand offering tranquil and water sport vacations with superb amenities. The all-beachfront property features 48 uniquely furnished condominiums on the ocean that are individually owned and resort managed. Each condominium is a spacious studio, 1- or 2-bedroom beachfront suite with fully equipped kitchen and private patio/balcony. Amenities include: 2 restaurants; PADI dive center with scuba diving, excursion boats, sailing and watersport rentals; freshwater pool; tennis courts; fitness center; gift shop; ATM & spa services. The intimate resort is ideal for families, couples, watersport & diving enthusiasts, visiting executives, and those seeking a tropical destination wedding, honeymoon or event. Bonus amenities include free Wi-Fi, onsite concierge, and wedding/event coordinator. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Kognitiv US Corp, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Secret Harbour Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secret Harbour Beach Hotel Benner
- Hotel Secret Harbour Beach
- Secret Harbour Beach Resort St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands