“Great Staff and Fun Place to Stay on Way to See Whales”

Keleti International Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Ha'ateiho
Saline, Michigan
“Great Staff and Fun Place to Stay on Way to See Whales”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

I stayed at this resort for a night before heading up to Ha'apai to swim with the whales. The staff was tremendously helpful - they set me up with RT transfer to the airport (not close) and served me whatever I wanted from the "bar" or "restaurant" whenever I wanted.

My fale was also awesome and large - though the DVD player and TV did not work. Not a big deal since I didn't spend any time in it- the surrounding beach and walkways were too beautiful not to explore. The ocean crashes against the very cool lava-formed rocks and shakes the ground you walk on. There is a nice beach to swim on.

One thing to note - you will need to coordinate trips with the staff to bring you into town (or on a Keleti staff guided tour, as my sister did!). The town leaves something to be desired, but I had some good fish curry at an internet cafe.

I would definitely stay here again for the beach alone.

Room Tip: Get a fale. Worth the extra.
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tauranga, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

Firstly I should say that we are frequent travelers to the islands,we know what to expect and what not to.
We stayed two nights at Keleti.
The staff are great and only too happy to please, the location next to the blowholes is superb.
However the rooms are extremely run down,the shower was virtualy unuseable, there were gaping holes in the mosquito nets,one night it rained and guess what the roof leaked.
The grounds were poorly kept with rubbish clearly visible all around the resort,it fits with the very tired nature of the whole place from the fales to the restaurant,reception,and bar area.
The final straw was having my board shorts stolen which were left outside our fale to dry,In short there are far better resorts for the same money available on Nukialofa.

1 Thank topzy
Glendale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2011

We stayed one night here on our way home. It was at the very end of November - so off season. I think we were the only guests. The resort is quite some way from town, however the taxi was no problem and reasonably priced. Our bungalow looked like it was in the middle of being remodeled and I was glad to see the couple we were traveling with had a more completely decorated bungalow. Nails to hold the curtains, double sided tape waiting for the tapa decor was not going to ruin my stay! The bungalow was clean, the bed comfortable, the hot water heater loud :) and the towels a bit rough. It is a beautiful area and the staff are wonderful. The food was "ok" at the resort, however, I must say that due to the supplies available, I probably could not have done as well cooking anyway (it is Tonga).

I would stay here again, one partial day was not enough.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Puyallup, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

We stayed in the family bungalow for 5 nights. The location was beautiful and the staff was friendly and attentive to our needs. My husband ordered the banana pancake with ice cream every morning for breakfast and even for dinner a couple of times. Their prices were very affordable. We traveled from Seattle WA and it was nice to go somewhere that hasn't been commercialized and still traditional. Keleti is a family owned business and we will definately return.

Room Tip: The family bungalow has 1 room with a queen bed and another room with 2 twin beds.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

GOOD:
· The bungalow was clean and with hot shower, refrigerator. A bit dated.
· Staff is very friendly.
· Price/value ratio was very good.
· The landscape with the blowholes are fascinating.
NORMAL:
· The transport is organised.
· The beaches are very small! Not too good for swimming.
BAD:
· Rather slow internet connection.
· There are no groceries, restaurants aso. next to the resort.
CONCLUSIONS:
· A quiet place. Coming back? TONGATAPU: MAYBE; RESORT: MAYBE.

1 Thank coralkong502
Batemans Bay, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

We stayed here for 2 one night stays for transfers to and from Vava'u.

When rating Tongan accommodation, I always keep in mind my very first trip to Tonga and our experience at the Fua'amoto Transit Lodge - the standard of which was pretty bad. In contrast Keleti is really comfortable and was perfect for our needs...we're not all that fussy so a dodgy hot water system and broken drain cover in the bathroom were not a big deal - that's Tonga! The bed was comfortable and the bedding clean.

The accommodation overall is clean but basic, which is all we required. The staff are great, so friendly and helpful and this is what makes Keleti stand out for me.

The view from the restaurant area is fantastic and the amazing rock formations and blowholes were fascinating to watch as the sun set over the pacific. A well stocked bar and generous meal servings made for a really pleasant last night in Tonga before flying home to Australia.
Highly recommended.

Cayenne, French Guiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

I came first to Keleti in March 2010.... I have just been back in October 2011... This is the best service and the most beautifu people you can get.... and the sea view make you forget about some little drawbacks...
Now I am in NZ....I am recommending to any Kiwi who d like to go Tonga to go Keleti... They would love it...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank FG97355
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ha'ateiho
Tanoa International Dateline Hotel
White Sands Beach Resort
Liku'alofa Beach Resort
Liku'alofa Beach Resort
#1 of 1 in Kanokupolu

Been to Keleti International Resort? Share your experiences!