“Sheridan RUIN my family vacation”

Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sabang
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I made my reservation at Sheridan since January of this year, informed them that my family of 4 will avail of the Underground River Tour. Last April 2012 when I heard on the news that people interested to go to the Underground River Tour should register on-line, I e-mailed Mr. John Sotero of Sheridan if I should make the registration, and he replied that they will be the one to arrange. When we arrived at the hotel on May 13, 2012, I was shocked to found out that only 2 of us was registered, unfortunately, it was Mr. Sotero's day-off, so I was assured by Mr. Vladimir that he will give me an update that night. At around 8pm, I follow-up on the status and was told that they are going to separate us on the tour. This vacation was supposed to relieve my stress not to add to my stress. The next day, we were informed that they indeed forwarded 4 of our names to the agency, but I do not know for what stupid reason that they did not check anymore if 4 names were confirmed. We were told that the 2 of us will be joining the 10am tour while my husband and my younger son will be on the 12noon tour which was delayed until 2pm and to make matters worse it was raining and my 11 year old son was already cold. BEAT THAT ON HOW TO RUIN A VACATION. That night my husband and I availed of the free spa services that we reserved on Sunday night for 8pm, to our surprise, the attendant said that our reservation was for 9pm, we were lucky enough, that the reservations of the foreigners was cancelled and so we were accommodated.
While I should admit that the staff of the hotel was really nice and courteous, I am just wondering why Mr. Sotero did not even bother to talk to us to explain what happen, maybe because I am not an important person to him. Thanks to Jobel and her husband at Tribal Restaurant for preparing our dinner on Monday night, it is better than the food at Sheirdan.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 12, 2012

If there is something to say about the resort it's a beautiful resort but the services you get will be a problem ! Only resort I have been in where they bring you to that place for Free but when you checkout you need to pay for the transfer to get back to Puerto Prinsesa! Promos are not even coordinated with their front desk staff so the customer have to show them your personal record of what you advanced paid for ! Price is expensive but it should have been at par with all the resorts or even hotels I stayed in !

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Wencerom
Reviewed May 5, 2012

The package trip can be a bit expensive but they will take care of meeting you at the airport and sending you back through their van. (1.5 hr from the airport) Rooms are comfortable and spacious but cleaning staff can be noisy at times - which means the door isn't sound proof. Restaurant food isn't that great but buffet breakfast is worth it and it opens early. Since the area has no power in the AM, only this hotel and Daluyon have 24/7 power, try going to other restos along the shore during dinner time for a change of taste. Beach is shallow and water is warm but very clear and clean. Sundeck chairs and towels are available in the beach area. Pool is open only from 9am to 9pm so early risers cannot use it.

Room Tip: Get a pool view room
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 4, 2012

The Trip
They offer free shuttle services from and to the airport (puerto princesa) to their resort, if you either book for 3 nights or get a special package. takes almost 2 hours 1 way, the road is decent.

We came from a different resort (Secret Paradise nature reserve) and took a 2hrs and 45min pump boat ride to sheridan, It was a fairly calm ride, but its summer here during those times so that probably helped tame the waves.

The Place
Well hands down its the best designed hotel there, and the most expensive too. The rooms and restrooms are clean and big enough. Service is ok. I communicated with them and reserved a room on the ground floor beside the pool months before going. When we checked in they said its not available, so I showed them the email and suddenly had one room. So I guess you have to try and reason with them first. The pool is huge and it has a bar, the lobby? well i forgot how it looked like its opposite from the beach and the BEACH is why we went there. They have plenty of activities for the beach like Surfing, kayaking, body boarding, hell, if you feel the child in you coming out there are toy shovels, rakes and drums for you to make a sand castle. The water is clean and the sand, sugary fine. Its a pretty long beach with other hotels beside each other. At the back is a stunning view of the mountains.
We also went to the underground river, its better to let the hotel arrange it for you and its still about an hour wait. if you wanna do it yourself, you'll have to line up and wait some more. after the waiting we took a 20min pump boat ride to the river and another 45min wait for the kayak to take us inside the cave. But I can say that if you appreciate nature you'd love what you see inside, its a grand place. and while waiting for the kayak we saw wild monitor lizards and monkeys hanging from the trees.

The Food
There's free breakfast for guests and there's nothing really special about it. They offer buffet lunch and dinner and once again nothing special about it. So we tried walking around and there are a lot of other options nearby, cheaper and same menu and if you really want something cheaper, go to the bus terminal about 5min walk, they have small restaurants where the locals eat.

All in All the resort is comfortable and relaxing. For a hotel who claims to be 5 star, they have to at least give me that.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 27, 2012

The main reason why we chose this resort was it's proximity to the Puerto Princesa Underground River (tour included in the package). It was just a 20-minute boat ride to PPUR! We took the tour on our 2nd day w/c was arranged by the resort (including permits & registration) and we were even accompanied by a tour guide. Another reason we opted for this resort was it having electricity 24 hrs a day powered by 3 large generators unlike other accommodations in Sabang. The resort and facilities are really nice & we enjoyed using the long pool & jacuzzis after being in the beach the whole day. It surprised me that Sabang Beach has fine powdery (although not white) sand like Boracay! (No need to use aqua shoes/socks) The waters are very calm at this time of the year. Go to the deeper end & you'll get a glimpse of the lush forest and mountains facing the resort. What a view!

Food was ok, prices were very reasonable considering the rating of the resort. Imagine having an all-you-can-eat Grill Buffet at P198++...Pizzas were also great! If you're into exotic food, buy fresh Tamilok (taste better than fresh oysters) from the roaming vendors & eat it while dining at their South Sea Restaurant.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay in Sheridan!

P.S. Pls check your bill when checking out. There were things included in mine that we didn't use.

Room Tip: Get the corner pool view facing the beach. You'll have the best views of both!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Passion4Leisure
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Resort and facilities are nice the pool is long and 4 ft only. Food was very ordinary and the service was terrible. Staff needs to be retrained. The chefs kept telling us to wait for everything. The buffet area is very dirty and there's a lot of flies, ants on the cover of the chaffing dish. I couldn't understand why like this.

Food in the restaurant was good if you don't eat from the daily buffet. We did once, it was cold as people just leave the lids open, and ran out and wasn't replenished. We ate from the a la cart the rest of the time but its always take a long time to wait, i dint know if the chef or general manager has a proper standard cooking time.

Trained your staff (front office, service) on proper handling of customer service.

Overall I am mot happy with the hotel only names is good but inside its terrible.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Kramzky
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We were checked in last April of 2012. Going there was a tough 1 1/2 or 2hour drive away from puerto princesa and a bit scary to travel at night. All those zigzags,uphills and downhills, road constructions ahead i was nauseated when we got to the hotel. I suggest not to travel at night. Place looks so inviting specially the wide stretch of pool and the clean beach upfront. Not the boracay type of sand though. Fascilities specially the pool bar was awesome, our reserved bed was just perfect for 2 adults and a child. Going within Sabang, Underground river and zipline was near the hotel, hunda bay is far. The bathroom was just ok not too shabby. Internet at night is poor. Random brownouts at night too but it gets right back on. This resort is using big generators for electricity fyi. Airconditioning was bad. Its a 2hp split type aircon but with a low electricity it made sound as if its pumping out air and it was a little filthy.The staff were just ok they were trained what to do but not trained to be friendly with guests. They dont greet you when you pass by them. The food, bad news.. Its terrible! For a hotel that rating? You guys should do food tasting or better if you invest to a much expert chef.. Talk about frozen seafood on the grill? People wont travel to palawan to eat grilled frozen seafood! How much do it cost to get fresh and live ones there? :( the rest of the buffet was dissapointing.. That includes our free breakfast. My son wasnt able to finish his soup when my husband tasted it, it was super salty! The rest of the food.. Does not fit what the criteria of this resort pledge. Too much dissapoinment with food because you have no choice to go around and look for a decent local resto not unless you want to eat in a canteen outside the hotel.. Please guys change your menu and train more of your staffs.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank 1wishderi
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sabang
Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & ...
#9 of 50 in Puerto Princesa
Astoria Palawan
Astoria Palawan
#12 of 50 in Puerto Princesa
Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princesa
Microtel by Wyndham Puerto Princ...
#5 of 50 in Puerto Princesa

Been to Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!