“3 star resort at 5 star Philiipines price”

Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Sabang
Brisbane Australia
“3 star resort at 5 star Philiipines price”
Reviewed March 18, 2011

The resort is in a nice location and a relaxing beach. The rooms were clean and new and with a very comfortable bed for us. The resort is still under construction, but we were also warned of this so it was okay. The pool, gym, spa and restaurant are finished. The staff were reasonably pleasant, but seemed to lack the polish of a 5 star resort. We were there during the Japan tsunami and the hotel did not have international dialing from the room and the wireless internet was not consistent (actually it was terrible, even when they gave us a lan cable).

The frustrating thing on the first day was the food for lunch. It was cold and pasta did not seem fresh, but it tasted good. The problem was that it costs allot more than locally in the area and thus we did not eat there for the rest of the time for lunch or dinner. The restaurant at the Duyalon was much better and the staff more attentative. The breakfasts were okay, but of course my fried eggs came out cold on the first day, so we stuck with the pancakes which were actually quite nice.

The pool is excellent and nice to change from the ocean to the pool. We tried the massage in the spa, but after paying 3 times the price as the local beach massage, we were not prepared to go back as it was the same quality. We stuck with the simple beach massage with the local shops - it was good enough and no different from the hotel.

I think this will be a nice hotel in a great location, but they are charging way too much for what it provides currenty. The price was about half to stay at Duyalon and it looked just as nice (not as nice pool or rooms, but this would of been okay as it is only just up the beach.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rascalscat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Daly City
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Though the ride going to the resort was long, it was worth the trip since along the way you can see a lot of sights. The driver was very courteous and was giving us an idea of where were at along the way. Upon arrival we were greeted well and were given a thirst quenching buko juice. The Front office staffs were very courteous and the rooms were superb. It was perfect since we were placed in a poolview room. Our three nights were truly magical while at Sheridan. The foods at their South Sea restaurant were wonderfully done and we always had our fill. We went to the underground river and the mangrove trail and it was great. My wife and I would definitely go back someday. We thank the Sheridan for making our honeymoon the best so far. Again thank you.

Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Cebu Island, Philippines
Reviewed March 14, 2011

I booked through their cebu office and was amazed with the beauty that the scenery holds. The rooms were very comfy and I had no hard time getting a rest. The pool was the biggest I've seen and it was sparkling clean with wonderful and courteous staffs. I would really recommend this to my friends back home. Thanks Sheridan for making my vacation worthwhile.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
las vegas
Reviewed March 8, 2011

From the PP airport, its 1 1/2 van ride going to Sabang, where this hotel is. Nice scenery along the way, and part of the ride, was a rough road but not that bad. Since the hotel is only 98% finished, we got there with the front landscape still being done, but I heard it will be very lovely once everything is in place. I gather, it was just a soft opening then..The final opening they said will be this March. We were greeted by the very nice staff, wherever we went, approachable and happy faces surrounded the resort.. which actually counted a big percentage why our stay was just wonderful! I think the pool was the highlight of the place! The architecture was nice too!The breakfast buffet was filling..the true filipino buffet. Rooms were lovely, not too particular about the beds though, so I may be limited on this aspect, but I had a good night sleep , so I guess it was ok too...
We chose this resort, other than being our first choice was fully booked, but also because Sabang is the nearest place to the Puerto-Princesa Subterranean River National Park
, which is one tourist spot that is vying to be part of the 7 wonders of the world..so we have to check it out. We booked our tour through the resort, which unfortunately, there was a schedule/miscommunication mishap, we ended up waiting for our boat ride to the river for over 2 hrs. But they made up for it though, with a free night stay! ( thanks Rowe) - all else is forgotten :)
Food -- it could be pricey, both room service and restaurant, so we started being resourceful on the second night. We walked along the shoreline and found good places to eat as well..with an affordable price to match it.
Wifi is not that strong and there's just certain spots..but it'll do.
All in all, if you're looking for a peaceful place, that has both mountain and beach resort meet in one place, this is spot to go..I don't mind coming back here..just as long as they keep those happy faces!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lyks2travel
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights with my friend. As the hotel is not yet finished - it is dirty and LOUD - absolutely unable to relax with lawn mowers, angle grinders and banging going on all day. The hotel is isolated and there is nothing to do nearby so you're stuck in the hole. Staff were (mostly) cold and indifferent - terrible service. Spoke very good English when it was convenient for them, but, when being confronted, all of a sudden did not speak a word! Airport transfers were ridiculously priced, staff were not interested in recieving ANY feedback - just didn't care at all. Almost had to leave the island missing half of our laundry because they didn't get it done when they said they would. Not at all apologetic for our horrible experience. Will NEVER return.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank peppercow
Plainsboro, New Jersey
Reviewed February 12, 2011

Good-
• Very comfortable beds –the best I’ve slept on in years. I think they are that memory foam type.
• Architecturally, the rooms are stunning. The design details are many. In my bathroom there were six light switches.
• The pool is big and beautiful.
• Everything is new.
• The boats for the Underground River are only a few minutes away.
• There is stable electricity 24/7 here (diesel generators). The entire town only gets four hours of electricity a day.
• Skip eating dinner here, and instead head to Doluyon Beach Resort (five minute easy walk away). It has better food and selection, more personality, and much, much better service.

Bad-
• MAJOR ISSUE: The service is 3rd rate in this hotel (it’s not even 2nd rate). It’s supposed to be a five star establishment – no way! Yes, they currently have a “soft” opening. But the service is woefully inadequate. And literally every interaction is clearly lacking good service. They mean well, but the execution is awful. Given that they are tapping into the local (inexperienced) labor market, it’s not going to change for quite a while.
• MAJOR ISSUE: The WIFI is free, and there’s a saying “You get what you pay for.” The satellite signal and/or network goes out frequently. The front desk people don’t have a clue about their network. And there isn’t a lot of bandwidth. Forget about doing Skype most of the time.
• MAJOR ISSUE: They clean rooms up to 11P – midnight! One night when my room wasn’t cleaned by 10:30P, I marched to the front desk, expressed my unhappiness, and told them to skip by room because I wanted to sleep.
• The restaurant food is mediocre. The pizza I had for dinner was probably the worst I’ve EVER had in the world. That’s saying a lot because I’ve had lots of pizza throughout 90 some odd countries. For instance, their cheese (which is typically mozzarella) is cream-cheese – yuck. Even the free breakfast was just blah. Top bad service on top of this and it’s a sad experience.
• It’s an awful long drive from the airport to the hotel – two hours! Mostly paved roads thankfully.
• Their website says they answer e-mails / special requests within 24 hours. What a joke. Two days later and I was still waiting for a response so I ended up calling. Never did get a response.
• The hotel apparently offers free airport pickup, but you better confirm it – especially for last minute bookings. Their website doesn’t list the benefit, and the staff here don’t read their e-mails, so I had to keep calling them to confirm the pickup.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank GSTgst
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed February 4, 2011

the place is nice, in terms of the hotel facilities, but there is not much to do, as they still lack facilities , beware if you come in during december and january, because the sea is very rough. The worst thing about this hotel is the food. We stayed their january 1-3, and when we arrived they have minimal food in the hotel. In their menu, only 2-3 items are available. Buffet selection is very small, and the portions is very small also, and it takes a long time before these are replaced. It was very difficult for us especially during dinner time, especially if you have children with you, since the buffet menu is not child friendly and my son does not eat any of the food available. We ordered spaghetti, the first night, and it took a long time before it came out. They said that they have limited food because their of the numerous guest that the hotel have. They should have anticipated this, since they should have known that these guests are arriving. Anyway, we let it go since we were expecting that they will fix this the following day, since they can already buy supplies from the city. But on the 2nd stay , the food situation is worse, when we were ordering dinner time, even the pasta menu is not available, and we were even told that they will not accomodate ala carte order. To put this situation in context, please know that the resort is the stretch of the beach is dark, and if they cannot provide food, we have to go out and walk and look for place to eat. This made us mad, since we paid 5 star rates for this hotel, and at the very least we expect food. I have to talk to the manager of the resort, before our order for pasta was given (we have to order pasta, because it is the only thing available that my son can eat, and french fries). At the end the family had to go out and scout for food outside, to eat. You can buy fresh seafood in the mini market they have and have it cook at small eateries. Again , we have to resort to this as the mini eateries have limited selection also.
Upon inquiry, we learned that there are only about 2 or 3 cooks , for the whole hotel, because there were a lot of resignations.
My problem with this resort, started actually when checking in, because despite, my request, and my booked type of room, when we were checking in , we were told that our booked room configuration is not available. I showed the reception my confirmed booking. We needed a ground floor accomodation, because we have an 83 y/o in our party and we requested for a connecting rooms. We, finally got some of what we need, we were given a ground floor room, but not connecting, after insisting that i will not accept a second floor room.
The only saving grace of this trip was our trip to the underground river, which was wonderful, despite the rough seas going there.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank girl00
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sabang
Qi Palawan
Qi Palawan
#1 of 17 in El Nido
Princesa Garden Island Resort & Spa
Princesa Garden Island Resort & ...
#9 of 47 in Puerto Princesa
Daluyon Beach and Mountain Resort
El Nido Resorts Lagen Island
El Nido Resorts Pangulasian Island
Astoria Palawan
Astoria Palawan
#16 of 47 in Puerto Princesa

Been to Sheridan Beach Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!