“Perfect country pub accomodation” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Coach and Horses
Ranked #1 of 10 Restaurants in Brixworth
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Perfect country pub accomodation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed for 3 nights. The room was lovely and clean, I normally prefer a double bed even when on my own, but the bed was lovely and comfortable and big enough to sleep in. It was finished to a high level and perfectly clean.

The tea and coffee allowance was excellent, not just a sachet of coffee but a reasonable number and topped up each day. It did take me a while to understand the kettle though!!!!

The bathroom was pretty compact, but had enough space for toiletries etc.

The room faced the beer garden, and as it had no air conditionning I risked leaving the window open. I was very pleasently supprised that the pub was quiet and there was no noice issues to affect my nights sleep.

Les and Anthea even checked what time we wanted breakfast to make sure that our needs would be catered for. Fantastic service from the pair of them.

Breakfast was excellant and reasonable portions. with choice of juices and coffee and cerials as well as the cooked breakfast.

The stay here has certainly rivalled some of the 4 and 5 star hotels I have stayed in for service from both the owners as well as the staff.

• Visited May 2012

Wellingborough, England, United Kingdom
“One of our best meals for a long time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2012

We turned up without booking and the pub was really busy...a good sign. We were told to wait a few minutes and the we were led to our table with doors held open for us. The meal and service was superb, the value was excellent and I can say that this was one of the best meals out for a long time. We are going to book this venue for my daughters birthday and will bring quite a few diners. Well done The Coach and Horses.

• Visited April 2012
West Midlands
“Delicious and good value as always!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2012

Having eaten and stayed here many times before, myself and a friend dropped in for a bite to eat at lunch time.

The Coach and Horses continues to offer lovely pub meals, with choices ranging from sandwiches to local game casserole there is definitely something on the menu to please everyone.

This is a traditional village pub, with a welcoming atmosphere, friendly service and offers good value for money. There's a lovely open fire in the bar too.

Well worth a visit.

• Visited February 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Warm, welcoming and cosy.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2011

We were continuing our journey around Northamptonshire, sampling as many pub lunches as we could in our given time, when The Coach and Horses caught our eye as we drove through Brixworth. It was a cold, blustery day, and the welcome we received was warm as was the open fire in the dining area. Sure, the decor was a little tired, but that was one of the charms of the place as the walls and ceilings hung with various rural items, hunting horns, old fishing rods, wagon wheels etc. The pub is small, so the tables were a little crowded but no overly so. We started with drinks, 2 glasses of pinot grigio, a little pricey, but not overly so. The menu was of the standard "pub lunch" type, a reasonable selection at average prices, plus there were various blackboards with other offerings, dotted around the place that were a little difficult to read. We opted for the lunch special, two courses for six pound 95. The starter was a home made soup, broccoli and stilton, an interesting combination that presented and tasted well. For mains, the ratatouille pancake roll certainly was different, but very tasty and served with salad. The other main, pork fillets with an apple gravy served with mash, and a side dish of mixed vegetables, was plentiful, though the pork was a little dry. There were sweets and coffee on offer, but we didn't sample them.
All in all, a cosy, average to good, wholesome pub lunch.

• Visited December 2011
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
UK
“Not my first choice”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

The village of Brixworth has three pubs – The George, the Red Lion and the Coach and Horses. Our favourite of the three is the George but it doesn't open on Mondays so we went to the Coach and Horses in the summer. I've always thought of it as dull but cheap and dependable.

I've probably not been in during the last two years and I was quite surprised that the prices are just as high as the George but the surroundings are decidedly shabby. My parents like the Coach and Horses but it wouldn't be my first choice because it's just a bit too old-fashioned. The pub is built of the local stone - Moulton Ironstone – which comes from a quarry in a nearby village and it dates back to around 1700. It has a thatched roof which is well overdue for replacement as the thatch is green in places from moss growth. Inside the décor looks to my eyes to be old and tired – textured wall paper with emulsion paint, old-fashioned wooden tables and chairs and a tiny bar with stools which always seem to be occupied.

The restaurant was almost empty when we arrived and they told us we could sit where we liked. The tables are varnished wood without table cloths and we sat side by side on an upholstered bench. Cutlery was delivered wrapped in paper napkins that had been 'stuck' at the ends – hopefully with water but something always makes me irrationally fearful that it's 'spit'.

We arrived at about quarter past seven and discovered they have a two course early-diner offer for £9.50. That sounds like quite good value but I don't eat meat and didn't fancy fish and chips, especially as the starter I DID fancy was whitebait and fried fish followed by fried fish goes beyond even my determination to eat a lot of fish. My husband went off the early diner menu and had a mozzarella salad and the fish and chips whilst I skipped a starter and ordered the king prawn linguini off a blackboard which also cost £9.50. The menu was quite complicated with wall mounted boards, portable blackboards and printed sheets. I really had the feeling I didn't entirely understand what was on offer.

The fish and chips looked to me to be over cooked and rather too brown. My linguini was served in an attractive asymmetric bowl and the portion was large. I have a hearty appetite but I struggled with the quantity, mostly because there was no sauce. The linquini was well cooked, the ingredients were tasty but something wasn't quite right – perhaps the balance of the ingredients was tipped too much towards the pasta and not enough of everything else.

I was surprised that our bill came to more than £30. My husband had drunk two pints and my disappointing glass of wine was nearly £5 which seemed disproportionate given the quality. We would regularly spend similar amounts on a meal at the George but the surroundings and the food quality at the Coach and Horses made me feel this was overpriced.

Our experience hasn't changed my belief that the Coach and Horses should be kept only for occasions when the George is closed.

• Visited July 2011