“Outstanding customer service and food”

Knightor Winery and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Trethurgy
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: We are an exciting Venue, Bar and Winey in the St Austell area, just outside Trethurgy - a stones throw from Eden. Knightor is open for all for teas, coffees, drinks, cream teas, lunch and nibbles. Pop in and see what we do. Relax in our pleasant surroundings. Learn more about wines with one of our wine tours and tasting. Knightor is Cornwall's newest winery housed within a collection of recently renovated old granite barns situated around a sunny courtyard. Our setting and flexible accommodation makes us a perfect venue for Weddings, celebrations, business workshops and events. Our menus specialise in fresh seasonal dishes made with locally sourced food. Our winemaker produces crisp, whites and rose with complex delicate flavours.
Reviewed February 17, 2014

We went on Saturday night, following Valentines night and all the storms, and were really cheered up. Victoria the waitress and only one looking after the place, was an extremely exceptional example of wonderful customer service. So attentive and friendly without being in your face, knowledgable about the entire place, food, and wines. We had a totally relaxing evening and felt it was quite special. Food was excellent, beautifully presented and tasted great. Wines very reasonable - the Knightor own wines are stunning. Good selection of alternatives to theirs if you so wish.We are moving down and this will certainly be one of our regular places to go for a lovely meal and experience.

4  Thank Amandafrog

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Visited the Knightor on Vallentines night. Nice touches on the table and really pleasant waitresses.
The food was good, not fine dining, but tasty. Too long a gap between starters and main and G was still hungry at the end. Puddings were yummy and wines very good, I would definately eat here again- all of the courses made me smile:-)

AdrianDerx, Owner at Knightor Winery and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you very much for your nice review. We were not at our best on Valentine's as I lost our head chef for the night. Despite getting two other chefs in to cover we were still too slow on getting the food out to customers. I am glad that it did not spoil your enjoyment of the evening and please tell G we will try to fill him up next time.
Adrian Derx

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I went with a Christmas works do just before Christmas 2013 and the restaurant appears to be under new management. Not for the better. The lovely atmosphere we've enjoyed on previous visits was completely missing and that's before we come down to the crux of the matter: the food. My first course should have been a goats cheese tartlet. There was an impressively thin piece of something flat that may have been pastry of some description on the plate which was topped with a slice of cold goats cheese. Not a great start. I held out hope for the main, which should have been vegetable wellington. I say should have because what arrived was a solid piece of pastry which was cold, hard, burnt down the sealed side (evidently an end piece that looked like it may have been left over from lunch...or maybe the night before) and on the open side there was sight of the filling - a solitary piece of broccoli... I ummed and aahed as you do on such an occasion, but in the end the boss looked over and said I couldn't eat that and to send it back. By the time they brought out a replacement, nearly everyone else had finished eating. The replacement was also a small heap of vegetables with a piece of pastry that had been cooked separately placed on top so definitely not what was advertised. The sticky toffee pudding dessert was like dry sponge with the toffee part forgotten and was also cold, although was still probably the nicest part of the meal. This used to be such a nice place, but has gone dramatically downhill. I had to make a sandwich when I got home from an evening where the most exciting part wasn't the food, it was watching the action out through the window when one of the waitresses was stuck in the ladies toilets outside in the courtyard because the lock broke on her and there were other staff members attacking the door with, among other tools, a hammer in an effort to get her out.

Sorry for the delay in responding to your review and also for giving you such a bad experience that you took us from a 5 star "excellent" to a 2 star "won't..visit". Neither the chefs nor the management changed between your visits as you had thought. Most of the Christmas parties went well and our food quality is normally excellent as you can see from the reviews. On service I have made a couple of changes,but I will ask the chefs and one of the front of house people what happened that night and try to get in touch with your party organiser. Please feel free to contact me
on 07815 196199 or by email at info@knightor.com.
Adrian Derx

Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Excellent customer service with very friendly staff who are very knowledgeable about the food and wine. It was my husbands birthday and we were made very welcome and the food was delicious-he was even given a special dessert with happy birthday on! Will definitely go again and will recommend to friends and family.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

Went here for the first time having heard about it by word of mouth. In looking for somewhere different to eat, few locals seem to know about it. The restaurant is in a converted barn and is spacious. The food is good but not exceptional, but then again it doesn't set itself into that bracket.
One disadvantage seemed to be that the loos were outside in another building, which may be a disadvantage if it's raining, but altogether a pleasant experience.

Dear Gastronome,
Thank you for your review and I would hope we can go from good to exceptional. In answer to your question I do some advertising but we dont find it works and word of mouth is king with most people coming by friends recommendations.
By the way our main toilets are upstairs inside the restaurant and in the Winter we dont normally use the outside toilets, so I am surprised they were open and you werent told about the indoor ones.
Adrian