“Mostly Harmless”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Marks Tey
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Mostly Harmless”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Stayed for business, room was perfectly adequate. Clean, good size, comfortable bed and a good shower.I was ill when I stayed, so did not try the food, however the staff taking and deliver drinks via room service were fine.Nothing stood out as being wrong here, but it didn't blow me away either. £58 represented excellent value.

Darren H, General Manager at Best Western Marks Tey Hotel, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear Dave,
Thank you for your review and hope that you had a good journey home.
We look forward to seeing you again when business brings you this way.
Yours sincerely,
Darren.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Polish first
Driffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Stayed here on a 2 night DBB rate which included a gourmet night on the 1 st evening and then a meal in the American bar the 2nd, the package also inc free entrance into Warwick Castle Excellent value

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Nick,
Thank you for your review, however we may well be the undeserving recipients of your praise as we are no located anywhere near Warwick Castle.
But do come and stay with us next time for a package including a trip to Colchester Zoo.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I stayed at Best Western Marks Tey for two nights while visiting relatives nearby.

My room was on the ground floor and was quiet enough apart from the occasional trundling past of what sounded like a drinks trolley! However, the room itself was very, very tired. The carpet was threadbare in many places, there were cup marks and stains all over the top of the bureau where the kettle tray was. The curtains were fraying too.

The flatscreen television was mounted in the most odd place, right over next to the window and you can’t adjust the angle to watch it from the bed. Not that this would have helped me as the tv itself didn’t work! And despite reporting it to reception it never got fixed during my stay. There is free wifi access however during the evenings, when I assume most people are using it, the signal was non-existent and persistently dropped out making it unusuable.

The shower was nice and hot and powerful, however the drain didn’t work properly, I put my hand down to check the plug wasn’t in and came across gunge and goodness knows what else in the plughole – yuck!

There is a very, very basic gym and pool next to the hotel however again, these are really tired and various bits of equipment were in states of disrepair. The pool had two groups in doing various swim activities so there was no space for others to use it. The steam room was absolutely boiling which I mentioned to the staff member on duty.

I had been looking forward to my stay and using the fitness facilities however it wasn’t really the nice relaxing hotel that I’d been hoping for.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Darren H, General Manager at Best Western Marks Tey Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear MintTea,
I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations and will be reviewing your points to make improvements where we can. I am unaware of any gym equipment that is not working, however I will check this again on my daily review. Our Gym and Pool are very popular with members and guests and we have a very dedicated team.
Thank you for your comments.
Swindon
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Such a lovely hotel, decor slightly dated, Art Deco feel, but I loved it!
Room was very clean, the bed very comfortable, The shower was lovely and powerful.
Gym and swimming pool available if required. Breakfast was included, and there was a lot to choose from.
Staff were really friendly, overall very impressed.
Only issue I has was doors slamming behind people, but that's the customers, not the hotels fault.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Hippychick,
I am delighted with your review and thank you for your kind comments.
We strive to provide great hospitality and I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to seeing you on your next stay.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed for one night, arriving on Saturday 9th November 2013 as part of a Groupon deal that I had purchased. Hotel was very busy as 2 weddings were being held so lots of guests everywhere but it didn't detract from our enjoyment. We had booked our afternoon tea for 3pm and that was lovely. It was due to be in the restaurant but as a wedding party were in there, they had planned for us to ahve another room. We were the only ones in the room for an hour until the next group came in so was very relaxing and enjoyable.
Amouze-bouche-mixture of prawn cocktail with some egg mixed in (very tasty)
Sandwiches-egg mayo, smoked salmon, ham and cheese and pickle
Cakes/tarts-chocolate eclair, banoffee pie, strawberry tart and mille-fouille
Followed by strawberry trifle
Were also able to choose from a selection of flavoured teas as well as the traditional ones

I had an indian head massage booked for 4.30pm-that was great, ladies in the salon were all very friendly and made me feel very comfortable, massage was great and much needed!!

Didn't use the pool or leisure facilities so can't comment on those.

Breakfast was great the next morning, big array of fresh fruits, yogurts, chesse and meats, pastries, fresh bread for toast etc, muffins, constant top ups of tea and coffee if needed, cooked breakfast consisted of scrambled eggs (but could ask for fried or poached if preferred), bacon, mushrooms, bakes beans, sausages, tomatoes, hash browns, nice and hot and constantly refilled.

Rooms-bit dated but very clean and comfortable, we both had a great night's sleep, shower over bath but very powerful,

All in all we really enjoyed our stay and if we go back, will have to try the pool and leisure facilities

Room Tip: We stayed in room 121 and didn't hear any traffic
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Darren H, General Manager at Best Western Marks Tey Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear Marie,
Thank you for your review - I am delighted that you enjoyed our popular Afternoon Teas and your stay at the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Yours sincerely,
Amsterdam
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We struggled with the shower plumbing, as the drizzle from the head was unbelievably low. Even after a "repair" the flow was still marginal at best. All plumbing is at least 30 years young, but the beds were quite all right indeed. Breakast and dinner were well provided for.

Room Tip: Try the plumbing before you accept a room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Cornelis,
Thank you for your review. We will look into the plumbing problem in this room as the pressure is normally very good with the excellent power of the showers often being commented on.
I am sorry that you did not experience this but I am pleased that you enjoyed the other parts of your stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marks Tey
Wivenhoe House
Wivenhoe House
#1 of 1 in Wivenhoe
Travelodge Colchester Feering

Been to Best Western Marks Tey Hotel? Share your experiences!