“Chilli? You bet!”

Horse and Jockey
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Manton
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: The Horse and Jockey is an award winning privately owned freehouse located in the idyllic village of Manton on the south shore of Rutland Water.The recently refurbished Horse and Jockey offers all the charm and character of a traditional country inn.The open fires, stone floors and low beams along with good wholesome locally sourced home cooked food and a wide choice of fine wines and real ales will ensure that your visit will be a memorable occasion just waiting to be recaptured.
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

Lovely pub, beautiful setting. Watched the rabbits running across the field, as the waitress bought out a snail from the salad and deposited it on the flower bucket at the side of the door? Thanks for saving the poor little creature but surely you should have done it where people were not eating their salad?
Having being told they maybe out of chilli and nachos, they then served me a minuscule spoon of chilli, packed to the rafters with nachos! Took me ten minutes to wade down through the nachos and reassure myself a chilli was actually in there. Then we had to eat outside in the diminishing light and increasingly cold temperatures as the four empty tables which were reserved remained sad and empty. In the whole time we were there no one arrived for those tables?
If a enable is booked for 9pm surely you can use it up to 15/30 minutes before?
Otherwise not bad lol.

1  Thank Flowerpot2012
Jason A, Owner at Horse and Jockey, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Horse and Jockey. I can only apologise if on this occasion we did not meet your expectations. I would like to comment as follows in response. The chilli and nachos dish on the menu is intended as a snack item not a main course where 50p per dish is donated to the local Osprey project. This is a very popular item on our menu and frequently receives complimentary comments. Should you have raised your concerns and disappointment at the time I can assure you that we would have course dealt with them to a satisfactory conclusion. I am sorry to hear that we were unable to accommodate you inside the pub. As you will appreciate we are a small pub and only have limited seating internally. We will always accommodate and encourage customers to dine inside during evening service where ever possible so we can ensure the best possible service. If any tables were reserved at the time they would have been awaiting the arrival of customers who had make a reservation. Should you wish to discuss your visit further please do not hesitate to contact me. I hope we can welcome you back to The Horse and Jockey in the future.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

After posting a couple of disappointing reviews of pub/restaurants lately it is so nice to be able to praise an establishment again. My wife & I called in here(for the first time) whilst visiting Rutland Water. The weather was great, scenery fantastic, premises, service & food brilliant(Oh! that steak & ale pie).
This place is owner run & it shows - group owned & managed pubs can very rarely match the standards & quality of places like this as they nearly always get their priorities wrong. Well done, we will be calling again soon.

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Horse and Jockey. It is always rewarding for my staff and I to receive such comments particularly as they all work so hard to not only meet but to exceed our customers expectations. All comments are fed back to the staff accordingly. We look forward to welcoming you back to The Horse and Jockey in the future.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We stopped at this lovely country pub for lunch near to Rutland Water. We ordered 2 cheese and tomato crusty rolls and one brie and cranberry crusty roll with a portion of chips to share. With your roll comes a side salad and homemade coleslaw with is great. This cost about £20 for the three of us plus a round of drinks. The menu is small, but has enough choice horse/jockey theme to the courses offered.

It is quite a busy pub used by locals, passers by and people cycling/walking around Rutland. The pub is presented very well clean tidy with friendly staff who also all look smart in their uniforms.

The only problem encountered (not only by us, but also other customers) was the wasps, we managed to move to an alternative table and was not bothered buy them as much. Some of the other customers moved as well as sat inside as we had two dogs with us we had to stay outside. We didn't ask if they let dogs in but is was a beautiful late summers day and we wanted to make the most of it.

Would I recommend a visit - Yes and would I return -Yes

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your recent experience at The Horse and Jockey and your kind words. I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit with the exception of our little wasp friends. Unfortunately this is something that we have had to deal with all summer and it has not been for the lack of preventative measures we have tried. Locally and indeed nationally there has been an invasion of these little pests this year mainly due to the prolonged hot summer. Whilst we have not had a nest on our premises there have been at least 8 nests removed from private house holds in the village that I am aware. Unfortunately these little pests tend to be attracted to the sugary drinks and sweet food on our patio area. I trust these did not spoil your experience too much and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Horse and Jockey in the future.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Very busy, would order a table before visit just in case, Plenty of cycle racks outside and car parking. They have a curry night which is very popular and tasty

Thank you for taking the time to review The Horse and Jockey at Manton. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Horse and Jockey acted as an excellent pit stop for my wife and I when we spent the day cycling round Rutland Water and the surrounding countryside. We really appreciated the dedicated bike parking and the seats outside which allowed further chance to relax in the sun or shelter in the shade. The seated area is right beside part of the reservoir circular route so it was quite fun to sit and people watch as the variety of experienced and inexperienced riders heaved their way up the incline (it is not a hil - hills are only in your mind). Our thirst was quenched with a pint of Soda Water and Lime at £1.50 each which comes in a lttle on the steep side before buying a proper drink to sit and relax with after our labours. Beer selection was solid and service was unfussy and quick the day of our visit. As vegetarians (of the not eating meat variety) the menu as limited for us but that is the case for most places. We ordered tuna baguettes each and a side order of chunky chips to share. The food came quickly and was fine. Nothing to rave about but the Chunky Chips, apart from having quite a bit of left over fried bits in, were very tasty. As is always a problem in the country the wasp and fly attack when trying to eat outside was a problem for all eating thaat lunchtime but that is just something to deal with. I think we spent just over £20 for out late end of the ride day lunch/early tea including drinks which is ok value.
In summary, we will be back but we visited on a Friday and I imagine on a weekend this place will get pretty mobbed.