“Great Hotel & Golf Course”

The Heritage Killenard
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Killenard
New York
“Great Hotel & Golf Course”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We spent the last two nights of our Ireland trip here. If you are flying out of Dublin, plan for at least a 90 minute drive to the airport. We had morning traffic. The facilities are great. I played one round of golf at this Seve Ballesteros designed course. The course was outstanding, even though my golf game was not. Ask at the check in counter if they have an coupons for golf. I saved 35E with a coupon. This was the nicest place we stayed in Ireland of the four locations we stayed. This resort gets a lot of weekend visitors from Dublin, so the weekend will be busy. A hot Irish breakfast is included.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Douglas B, Guest Relations Manager at The Heritage Killenard, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear luv2travel076,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Heritage Golf & Spa Resort.

I was delighted to see you enjoyed your stay and got to fit in a round of golf on our Championship Course,

We hope you had an enjoyable journey home and if in Ireland again will come and visit us.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Spent two relaxing day and nights. Staff excellent . will return again.
Good value especially for the spa and the treatments we booked.

Really enjoyed the afternoon in the SPA.

Had excellent walk around the retreat on the trail.

Dinner reservation needs to be made prior to arrival to get desired time in either of there restaurants
Breakfast best taken early as was very busy as indicated by hotel.

Rooms big with good bathrooms , separate roll top bath and shower could have stayed in shower all day.

Excellent destination resort, check in , leave the car no reason to leave hotel grounds.

Good WIFI especially in the room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view some rooms have no view , but you wont spend any time looking out the win...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AodhanOMaolain,

I was delighted to see you so thoughoraly enjoyed your mini break and got to visit our Spa and use many of our facilities.

We hope you come and visit us again soon and thank you for your kind recommendation.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

What a fantastic stay. I can't recommend this hotel enough. The facilities are excellent but coupled with its greatest asset the staff, this hotel stands out above the rest.
I booked an overnight stay for myself and my 5yr old to coincide with Halloween. I wasn't quite sure what the hotel would have on to keep the younger guests entertained but I took the chance and I wasn't disappointed.
I arrived early to put my daughter into the kids club. I had spoken to Maria the night before to confirm this would be ok. Maria gave me all the details and told me to contact her at reception the next morning when I arrived. I checked in with reception after I dropped my daughter to the kids club.
The kids club ran from approx 9.00 - 14.00 which is great for adults travelling with children. The club was held in a big conference hall and on this date the staff were in fancy dress. The club was free to the hotel guests. I paid a small fee for my daughter to have lunch there but she could have brought her own and that would have been no problem. There were a significant number of activities on for the kids including Zumba, bouncy castles and most importantly face painting for Halloween.
When I returned to reception Maria had organised a room for me. I was impressed that Maria had remembered me from our conversation over the phone the night before, given that this is a busy hotel,
I was particularly impressed to get a room as I had presumed I would be using a changing room to make use of the spa experience. I realise this was due to availability & may not necessarily be the norm but knowing the hotel makes use of this flexibility when availability allows really shows they are customer focused. Having the room early allowed me to bring in luggage etc while my daughter was in the Kids Club. I was also given a trick or treat bag with some goodies in it for my daughter.
My room had a great aspect overlooking the golf course and was spotless with a lovely decor. This room also had a double shower and a bath. This was ideal.
I made use of the Spa & Thermal suite. Once again the staff were excellent as too were the facilities. I spent an 1.5hrs here and the only reason I left was to be in time to collect my daughter from the kids club.
Another highlight of our stay was the fancy dress trick & treat that was led by "Captain Morgan" the pirate. He did a fantastic job and entertained the adults as much as the kids.
The only constructive advice I would give is if doing this activity again a different route might be considered to accommodate younger children or better again two groups divided into younger & older children. That said my daughter loved it and each child was provided with a significant plunder. There was also an organised photo opportunity of the group.
After the trick or treat it was off to the cinema to eat the goodies and watch a film.
During our stay we ate twice in the bar. There were other dining options open to us but using the bar gave us a more flexible option. During one of these meals my daughter got a booklet of puzzles and some crayons to entertain her. Both times the meals were lovely and it was great to see a focus on healthy meals for kids.
Breakfast was the highlight as this was a buffet with all the usual items you would expect plus some, pancakes, waffles and omelettes to name a few. The staff once again were excellent and engaged with my younger travelling companion as much as with me.
We also got to use the swimming pool before we checked out and my daughter was impressed that she had a bathrobe as well. Younger kids will love using the underground tunnel that connects the main hotel to the leisure centre & Spa.
This has been my 4th time staying in this hotel, on previous occasions I have used it for getaways with friends & adult family members. I have always been impressed but this was a new experience staying with my daughter and I will be back sooner rather than later. Well done in providing an excellent experience for two guests with contrasting expectations!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Oriana W
Dear Orianna W,

Thank you for posting such a wonderful and comprehensive review from your stay at The Heritage Golf & Spa Resort.

I was delighted both you and your daughter had such a great time over the Halloween break with us. I shall pass on your lovely comments to both Maria and "Captain Morgan".

We look forward to your return visit in the near future and once again thank you for your glowing review.

Dublin
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My friend got married at this lovely hotel recently and I was really impressed. The hotel itself has many fab pieces of furniture & paintings along with fab decor. They had the fire lit in one of the areas which was real cosey. The staff were very welcoming and friendly both on reception and waiting staff. The rooms are really spacious and the bathroom is big with a lovely big bath. The room facilities are kettle, tea, trouser press an iron. Wifi is also free. Bathrobe and slippers are provided with the option of purchasing the robe for €60. The wedding food was really nice and it's a pitty I couldn't finish the desert I was so stuffed. Staff were prompt in bringing out the courses and topped up our glasses without even asking. Bring your wallet though as drinks are pretty pricey, I had a large glass of wine cost just over €10. We spent €18 on 2 glasses of wine. I took 1 star off because there was a very strong sewerage smell from our en suite. Hasn't been there when we checked in but later that night and was quite bad. We didn't use the golf course or spa as we were only there for one night. But saying that the hotel is lovely and our food was really good. Definatly worth a visit.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear dublingal29,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to The Heriatge Golf & Spa Resort.

I was delighted to see you enjoyed your friends wedding and I have passed along your complements to the staff.

My apologies regarding the smell emitting from your en-suite. This would have been the result of the water trap drying up and I have passed this concern on to our maintanence department to rectify.

Once again thank you for your lovely recommendation and we hope to see you again in the not too distant future.

Boston
Reviewed October 28, 2013

The Heritage was a wonderful start to our Ireland vacation. The rooms were spacious and clean, and the grounds were lovely. We especially enjoyed walking the trail around the golf course. If I had to cite one area for improvement, for some reason there was a vent in our shower that pumped in cold air, leading to a frigid showering experience. As there's also a soaking tub, though, this could be easily remedied. The staff is warm and hospitable, quick with a recommendation or offer of assistance at every turn. Overall a very pleasant experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SarahP118,

I was delighted you enjoyed your break and thank you for your lovely recommendation.

Austin, Texas
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

The room was clean and well appointed. The staff was so incredibly friendly and helpful. We arrived early due to an overnight flight, and they got our room ready early for us so we could get some much needed rest. Would visit them again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Douglas B, Guest Relations Manager at The Heritage Killenard, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Steve H,

We were delighted to see you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your lovely recommendation.

dublin
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My review of this hotel was removed and I dont know why as it was 100% factual and a genuine family stay. It referred to an electrical fault outside my room which kept me awake all night, unhelpful staff and lack of atmosphere. While food is bar was fine what was really disappointing was the reply by management on here suggesting my review was not genuine and factually incorrect. If that is how you address customer feedback you need to seriously revisit your standards. I would rate it a 2 star rather than 5 star experience.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank irishguy2009
Douglas B, Guest Relations Manager at The Heritage Killenard, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear irishguy2009,

I was disappointed yourself and your mother did not enjoy your visit. Unfortunately Sunday nights in October do tend to be slightly less upbeat than peak season but as most people visit at that time to relax and unwind this is not usually a concern.

Had you reported any irregularities regarding noise in your room we would have dealt with it immediately. I have reported this ticking noise to our Maintenance Manager for further investigation.

I was slightly surprised you found our staff to be unhelpful, the feedback from comment cards, Trip Advisor and guest observations is that this is by far our greatest asset.

Once again thank you for your feedback and valued custom.

Guest Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killenard
The Killeshin Hotel
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#3 of 4 in Portlaoise

Been to The Heritage Killenard? Share your experiences!