“Instant coffee ??”

The Heritage Killenard
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Killenard
“Instant coffee ??”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Myself and a girlfriend stayed here in December 2012. The hotel was beautifully decorated for Christmas and felt very festive. The Receptionist was very friendly and efficient.
Our Deluxe twin room was comfortable, though not the largest I have stayed in. The air conditioning was very loud and the room was very warm on arrival.

We had a look at the bar menu while having drinks and decided it was rather bland and unimaginative. We decided to eat in Sol Oriens and as it was raining heavily, we took advantage of the lift there from the concierge (David - a most affable chap !!). The meal in the almost empty restaurant was superb - very well presented and tasty. The staff were attentive without being intrusive. After a leisurely meal, David arrived to take us back to the Hotel.

We finished off the evening with a few drinks in the bar, which is large and, for the most part, almost empty. The bar staff were cheery, efficient and friendly. We teamed up with another couple over dinner and had a most enjoyable evening with them and another group who had also been in the Sol Oriens restaurant. Eventually we made our way to our room - the beds had been turned down and a bottle of water and a chocolate left on the side tables. The beds were very comfortable and we had a great nights sleep.

We opted for breakfast in our room the next morning. It was served on time, was well presented and was hot. The breakfast was tasty and we enjoyed it while we discussed the previous night.
All in all a most pleasant stay.

My only complaints were - no mini bar or fridge in the room. More importantly, the hospitality tray contained tea bags and sachets of INSTANT coffee. Being a coffee drinker - I would expect an espresso machine in the room as standard in a 5-star (or even a good 4-star) hotel.

Room Tip: We were in Room 310. It was comfortable, though not over-large. The bathroom is nice with good pro...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
ciaranguestrelations, Guest Relations Manager at The Heritage Killenard, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear mysteriousmims_123,

Thank you for taking the time to review the resort following your most recent stay.

I am delighted to hear you found the hotel beautifully decorated and very festive as we put in a lot of effort dressing it for Christmas. It is also great to hear you found the staff friendly and efficient.

I do note your disappointment regarding the instant coffee in the bedroom hospitality tray but would like to bring to your attention we offer 24 hour room service so hot or cold drinks can be delivered to your room. Also we can on request have a portable mini fridge put into your bedroom.

I do hope you return to stay on the resort sometime in the near future and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Guest Relations Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Ireland
Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Good:
Friendly staff, good facilities, luxurious surroundings, good food, clean rooms, free Wi-Fi in rooms.

The Bad:
The service while friendly is not 5 star caliber. Loud air conditioning in room. Compound gates locking guests out. Average quality afternoon tea.

Overall:
Five star facilities, with 4 star service. Staff are friendly but don’t go above and beyond and at times seemed to be understaffed also. On par with staff in many 4 star hotels. Would not be surprised if 5 star was lost as staff are really what set 4 star from 5 star.
-------------------------
Getting there:
Just off the M7 this hotel is very easy to get to and is well signposted all the way from the motorway exit (no need for GPS!). You’ll likely drive straight into the resort and then straight into the Golf Clubhouse as anyone could be forgiven to think it was the hotel, it is gigantic for a clubhouse. The hotel is actually to the right once you pass through the gates.

Arrival:
No concierge/doorman on arrival. I believe for 5 star hotels this is a must have, so disappointing. Ladies on reception were lovely and swiftly checked us in. The foyer is very impressive, with a large stairway which stretches high above you and straight away there is a very luxurious feel from the beautiful furniture. The lifts are key card activated and I rarely had to wait any time for one.

Room:
We stayed in a standard deluxe guestroom. We did not request a golf course view, and as you might expect, we didn’t get one either. The room furniture itself is finished to a very high standard, and was immaculately clean. Free Wi-Fi in the room (although any hotel without this these days I seriously wonder). TV worked OK, some channels missing. No mini bar. Air conditioning unit was unacceptably loud; we had to turn it off during the night because of this. The noise was not unlike having a boiler in the room. Particularly liked the wardrobes built into the walls. The bathroom was very nice, separate large tub, large walk-in shower and a hot towel rail. Robes were supplied. Overall the rooms are well dampened for noise. I did not hear anything during the night.

Lunch:
We had afternoon tea in the Slieve Bloom bar. We waited over 15mins before anyone checked to see if we would like to order. Others in the bar were the same. The bar was wholly understaffed for lunch. When we did get to order, the afternoon tea arrived. I was surprised that it did not come with a glass of champagne (which made the €35 price per person even steeper). Unfortunately the food was average at best and I would not be in a rush to re-order. Paying the bill was not as easy an affair as you would hope either, staff were run off their feet.

Spa:
We booked in for the Spa Experience. The lifts bring you from your floor to the basement level, where you walk through a cold and drab tunnel (still in refub after 2 years according to my partner and very out of character with the rest of the resort) and get another lift up to the Spa centre. Getting in was trouble-free and we were quickly left to our own devises. The Hydro Pool was my favourite. Staff were light on the ground again I found.

Dinner:
I tried to book The Arlington Room in the hotel for dinner, but was told by reception it was fully booked. I think this may have been a lie, as the hotel was also catering for a small wedding and maybe didn’t have the staff numbers to manage. I ended up booking the Sol Oriens Steakhouse & Italian restaurant which is about 5 mins walk from the hotel near the edge of the resort. My partner was in high heels so we took the courtesy lift. Even she felt guilty of this! We decided we would walk back. This was a lovely restaurant, and to be honest, having had breakfast in The Arlington Room it has a much nicer atmosphere/surroundings. The food was satisfying. I would recommend the Gamberoni e Cappsante (Prawns & Scallops) for starter. The staff were very obliging. We both had starters, mains, one desert and a bottle of wine. The bill came to just shy of €100 for two. Most of the people I saw later in the bar and for breakfast the next morning also dined in Sol Oriens, which reinforced my assumptions about The Arlington Room just not being opened.

Bars:
We walked around from Sol Oriens to the The Thatch Pub, which is joined to Sol Oriens but is right on the edge of the resort, next to the village road. This pub I would guess sees quite a few regulars from the area, and is cosy. It is also better priced than the hotel bar. We stayed for one drink and then headed back to the hotel. Walking back to the hotel, we found the gates locked at 10.30pm. We spent 10 mins standing in the cold, buzzing the intercom for them to open, but had to return to Sol Oriens to ask them to phone the hotel to open the gates. Thankfully it wasn’t raining. There should really be a pedestrian entrance if you have a restaurant and bar outside of the main compound. We eventually got back to the Slieve Bloom bar. It wasn’t busy at all. Ordered a few drinks before bed, but again I wasn’t blown away by the service, waiting at least 10 mins on one occasion for a Guinness to be sent down as I watched it wait on the bar. Surroundings were very comfortable however and some of the hotels Art Deco stylings really became evident at night.

Breakfast:
Breakfast was served until 10.30am in The Arlington Room and was the usual cooked/continental items you would expect from a hotel. The tea wasn’t my taste however. Definitely not Barry’s or Lyons. Overall very acceptable. I did spot some very fine wines on leaving The Arlington Room, so if that’s your thing you may want to try and book The Arlington Room on reservation. Otherwise Sol Oriens is more than adequate.

Checkout:
Checkout is around 12 noon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TheTypicalExplorer
Dear LovSpicyFood,

Thank you for taking the time to review the resort following your recent stay.

I am pleased to hear you found the staff friendly, facilities and food good in luxurious surroundings and overall enjoyed your stay.

I do note your other feedback and will discuss with the relevant departments to ensure it is addressed.

I do hope you return to stay on the resort sometime in the near future and find we have addressed the issues raised. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

We had the pleasure of attending a wedding reception in the hotel last weekend.
The day was most enjoyable and the food and service together with the good company
made for a great occasion.
We took the opportunity to stay the night in the Emo suite and the accomodation was first class.
The views from the balconies over the beautiful golf course were magnificent.
We could not have asked for more in the way of facilities and we enjoyed a most comfortable stay.
The breakfast the following morning was excellent with plenty of choices.
On this occasion we did not make use of the Spa but we are already looking forward to our
next visit which will be in the near future.
All in all a first class hotel with friendly and professional staff.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JohnFerriter
ciaranguestrelations, Guest Relations Manager at The Heritage Killenard, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Mr. Ferriter,

Thank you for taking the time to review the resort following your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay while you attended a wedding reception on the resort.

It is also great to hear you found the staff professional, enjoyed the views of the Seve Ballesteros golf course from you balcony and found everything first class.

We look forward to your next visit.

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just returned from a really enjoyable stay in the Heritage..had read a few reviews on here that had me a little worried but for what we paid we got great value for money!We paid €99 pp..B&B+1D!!
From the start. Beautiful foyer with fab Christmas tree and pristine clean floors. From a 5 star perspective...there was no concierge and my hands were full so a bit of help with door would have been great but i wouldnt get in a huff about it...Staff at reception very friendly.
Our room was d standard one and whilst i have stayed in bigger, plusher bedrooms in 4 star hotels it was lovely served all our needs...really comfy bed and lovely bathroom with power shower.Some reviewers said it was cold..we were nice and snug i can assure you!
After a bit of a stroll around hotel and grounds we headed to Thatch Pub...this is like a local pub but on hotel grounds..quite cosy and we had great banter with the locals.
We had dinner booked in Sol Oriens italian and steakhouse for 8. There are a few options to dine on the resort..hotel rest, the bar; golf club house and here..i would highly recommend Sol Oriens. Fab steaks n great service from staff!Its on its own on d resort so u can walk the 4 min walk or get a complimentary lift.
Drinks back in Slieve Bloom bar...nice..a little tired..the reception area is in better condition definitely.
Breakfast next morning was pretty good..vast selection and very frienfly staff..but honestly i have had nicer in 4 stars such as Farnham Estate,Cavan, Maryborough Hotel and Spa Cork and the Maritime Bantry.nonetheless i really enjoyed it.
Pool and health club..this is where i feel the most obvious improvement is needed. Pool is only 15 m and it didnt stand out as anything above a good 3 or 4 star..
I would highly recommend the Heritage overall but bare in mind your price...i was delighted to pay what we did but prob wouldnt pay much more!! It is very relaxing and the staff amongst the nicest i have come across. There is a 10% kildare village card you can get from reception. I cant comment on golf course but clubhouse is impressive and the health walk is lovely..didnt go to spa but will definitely next time.
Thank you to all the team at The Heritage!!

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Dessiesgirl,

Thank you for taking the time to review the resort following your recent stay.

I am delighted to hear that overall you had a wonderful stay and enjoyed the facilities the resort has to offer.

I will discuss your feedback with the relevant departments to ensure we are continuously striving to exceed expectations and provide the 5 star service we set ourselves.

We look forward to getting the opportunity to welcome you back to the resort in the near future.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

I’m writing this review in the dark as there’s no desk lamp in our superior suite. (I’ve also tugged out the bulky writing desk to plug in my computer, as there are no points available at desk level!)

Admittedly the trip started badly. We drove from Dublin to the Heritage Hotel in Portlaoise in the drizzling rain, and the heavens opened just as we arrived. “It’s the wrong hotel,” my wife exclaimed.

“Is there another Heritage Hotel in Portlaoise,” I asked the friendly receptionist after a mad dash through the downpour. “Back the way you came, about 20 minutes’ drive,” she informed me, with a sympathetic smile.

We arrived at the Heritage Golf and Spa Resort Hotel after a 20-minute drive, parked 100 yards from the door, carried the bags up two flights of steps through the rain – only to be told we were in the clubhouse. The hotel was two buildings down.

We carried the bags back to the car, followed the minuscule signs through the teeming rain and I parked under the canopy while my wife got out. I drove to the nearest car parking space 100 yards away and squelched back through the rain.

The room was warm, quiet and comfortable – though a few things were less than five star. The TV didn’t work. The concierge came to our room, took a look, shook his head and then went back downstairs and fiddled with the computerised system; voilà, we had functional TV. But if you wanted information about the TV or internet, it wasn’t available in the tatty, torn, disarranged guest information booklet.

There was no minibar and no fridge. The mirror had been cracked while being installed and had just been left, presumably in the hope that no guest would be tall enough to notice the fault.

We went for a drink and snack in the bar. We busied ourselves reading the Christmas party leaflet while waiting for the sloooooow service. (You’d imagine that a five star hotel would know that the words ‘nights’ and ‘gifts’ don’t have apostrophes...)

I asked for a Campari and soda. “A what?” asked the bewildered bar girl. My wife explained. The girl went off and reappeared after five minutes with a bottle of Club soda. “We only have Club soda,” she said plaintively. My wife explained that a Campari and soda was a drink of Campari with a soda, not a brand of soda. “Oh,” said the relieved barmaid.

My wife went for the vegetarian option of the Caesar salad, without chicken. It was OK for vegetarians who like pigs, as it came with bacon (but not the promised garlic croutons). The bill for a sandwich, salad, Irish coffee and my drink came to €38.20. Even when we took off the €2 we’d been overcharged for the salad, it was still overpriced.

Following an afternoon, snooze, a courtesy car took us for our evening meal to the nearby Italian restaurant, Sol Oriens. (The Arlington Room restaurant in the hotel is open only five days a week...)

Ignoring the “spakling” water and the “sparking water” choices on the menu, we went for the prawns and the mozzarella followed by the lamb and the salmon. Excellent – and the service was great too. A bottle of French Sauvignon (with a “wooderful” flavour) complemented the first class food.

After a restful night’s sleep, a pre-breakfast shower – only to find myself standing in three inches of dirty water as the drain appeared to be blocked. Still, at least it was my own filth – or so I hoped. But breakfast was pretty good anyway, with cheerful service and a wide choice of hot and cold dishes. And when we left, the rain had stopped.

The overall bill for one day’s stay was €266.75. Five star prices, but not always five star standards.

Room Tip: We stayed in 433. Nice balcony and good views of the golf course.
2 Thank KieronWood
Dear Mr. Wood,

Thank you for taking the time to review the resort following your recent stay.

I am sorry to hear you had a bad start to your trip before you arrived to the resort. It also disappoints me to hear that you encountered some issues during your stay.

I can assure you that we take our service standards very seriously and provide training on a continuous basis but I will be the first to admit we don’t always get thing right. I will discuss your comments with the relevant departments to ensure they are addressed.

I do note your praise of the Arlington for breakfast and Sol Oriens for your evening meal albeit with spelling mistakes on the menu, which will be rectified as soon as we can get the menu reprinted.

I do hope you return to the resort some time in the near future to find we have addressed the issues raised.

Kilkenny
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Have stayed in this hotel on three occaions, and each visit has been excellent.
From the moment you enter the grounds you know you are somewhere special, the lobby area is
exceptional with wonderful furniture throughout and super staircase. Staff always professional and friendly, and nothing is too much trouble for them.
The bedrooms are very spacious with every need catered for. Breakfast is excellent and the
Italian restaurant well worth a visit.
The location is ideal if you wish to take in some shopping as KIildare village is only 10 minutes drive away.
I could not recommend this hotel enough., deserves its 5 star rating, take a trip.

1 Thank Maireadnewlands
ciaranguestrelations, Guest Relations Manager at The Heritage Killenard, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear Maireadnewlands,

I appreciate you taking the time to review the resort.

I am delighted to hear you found all 3 visits to the resort excellent.

It is also great to hear you enjoyed your dining experiences, found the staff professional and friendly and enjoyed some of the attractions in the local area.

Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to your next visit.

Dublin
Reviewed December 14, 2012

Stayed on 8th December, my 2nd stay in last 2 months and it was equally wonderful 2nd time around! It is a beautiful hotel with really friendly, professional staff. The rooms are exceptionally comfortable, the bathrooms are super spacious, the food (both breakfast and dinner) in the Arlington restaurant is delicious and the cocktails are the best. I can't wait to go again, it is such a treat.

Room Tip: I have stayed in the standard double and the superior twin and have seen the family room, all are lo...
Dear Luvmyholidays1212,

Thank you for taking the time to review the resort as per your recent stay.

It was a pleasure to welcome you back to the resort once again and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, found the staff friendly and professional and enjoyed your dining experiences.

Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to your next visit.

Guest Relations Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Killenard
The Killeshin Hotel
Killashee  - Hotel Spa Leisure
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
Maldron Hotel Portlaoise
#3 of 4 in Portlaoise

Been to The Heritage Killenard? Share your experiences!