“Little to fault at la Garangeoire!”
Review of La Garangeoire

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saint-Julien-des-Landes
La Garangeoire
Letterkenny, Ireland
“Little to fault at la Garangeoire!”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We stayed at la Garangeoire mid-July. It was our first holiday on a campsite and something very new to us! To be concise, hubby and kids loved it, while I missed the comforts of a nice hotel with air con! We had looked forward to a nice climate in the Vendee, but arrived just as the heatwave struck, and I found the confines of our chalet a little difficult to bear. The kids didn't mind, so that was the main thing.
All in all, the campsite is wonderful. It seems to be a tightly-run ship, where law and order rule the day! All areas are clean, tidy and well-maintained. The pool area is spotless, although on one particular day, for some unknown reason, the pool was teeming with dead flies and the lifeguard just sat looking on. I asked him, very politely and en francais, if he could do something about it. He was very pleasant and proceeded to clean the pool, although why he didn't do it earlier is beyond me as the flies were piling up on the surface and everybody was wincing at them!
My greatest 'treat' at la Garangeoire was being able to ship off my two darlings to kids' camp every morning! I am effectively a single mum at home as hubby works abroad for weeks at a time, so kids' camp was a godsend. They loved it, although other parents told me the Eurocamp clubs are better... I am not really in a position to comment any more on that as I did not have first-hand knowledge of the latter.
Lastly, I feels I should mention the restaurant. For our second week, hubby and I ate there every night and loved it! I have read other reviews of the restaurant and have been surprised by some rather lackluster comments. We found the food delicious and fairly priced in comparison to home. A demi carafe of house wine, which was quite acceptable, was €5.50, and other extras were not extortionate. The waiters were very pleasant and helpful, and the little bonus of dining in peace was bliss!!
Hubby is set on returning to La Garangeoire next year. For what we paid for the whole holiday, we could have enjoyed 5 star all-inclusive in the Canaries, but, let's face it, the kids loved it, I was able to brush up on my French, and hubby felt he could relax without the stuffiness of a 5 star resort....looks like we WILL be back next year!

2 Thank SuzieBrookDL

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Biggleswade
Reviewed August 20, 2013

This is a beautiful campsite, in gorgeous setting.
We stayed in a Castels own mobile home (closer to reception area and huge pitches)
Our girls (aged 13, 10 and 20 months) loved it and made lots of new friends.
We swam, walked, rode bikes, pony trekked and took part in some of the excellent site activities like the crepe parties, the evening entertainment (a good Queen tribute) night swimming, garden games, the fantastic park etc. etc.
We were lucky with the weather. It was beautiful. We found the day would often start a bit overcast and dark, but by lunchtime bright sunshine arrived, and the best sunlight was from 3-9, when nothing nicer than sitting on our deck with a large glass of the local grape juice, aka vin rouge!
The onsite restaurant is fantastic and good prices. I had a 'trois poisson' dish, which was gorgeous, beautifully presented and tasty. The takeaway is very handy, and the shop too.
Staff were all so friendly, absolutely lovely. Nothing too much trouble. In the bar, the shop, restaurant etc, the bike hire shop (my husband said he was very helpful)
An artist visited one day and we got beautiful drawings of our girls for only 9 euros each!
We visited St. Gilles (great market, seafood, ice cream and my daughter got a hair braid)
St. Jean De Monts (on the only day it rained for us, gorgeous wide expanse of beach though)
Apremont (very pretty town with interesting chateau and pedalo rides on the river)
Puy Du Fou historic theme park (husband took girls and said it was brilliant- long day, but worth it)
All the bbq's on the site are gas, so quick, clean and easy to use. (which we did, lots!)
My husband recommends the guided walk the owner of La Garangeoire does. He said it was fascinating, full of local information and history, which the owner is clearly passionate about.
We loved it so much we're returning for two weeks next summer and have booked already!

1 Thank Meld37
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stayed for ten days in August, had great time, perfect for children with lots of activities. Horse riding, lakes for fishing and boating, learn to ride a bike, crepe parties etc.... Most at no or minimal cost. Booked with key camp and arrangements were efficient and service friendly. Highly recommend the site and the facilities. We will be going back next year.

2 Thank Dave l
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed in a Eurocamp caravan for the first two weeks in July with our 8 and 11 year old children. The caravan was better laid out than any other one we have stayed in, with a deceptively large open plan area that was perfect and the bonus of a small ensuite. The Rep told us that the Vendee had just suffered from the wettest Spring/early Summer for years but - apparently the sun came out the day before we arrived and we enjoyed temperatures of around 30 for our entire stay.

Everyone we encountered from Eurocamp/Keycamp (they are now one company), were friendly, helpful and courteous at all times. The kids club staff deserve particular praise for their continual enthusiasm - our children grew very fond of them.

As others have stated the activities are second to none. Our family particularly enjoyed the archery, pony treking and night canoe (I was less enthusiastic about the latter as my husband failed to inform me that it was almost an hours canoe each way to St Gilles de Croix!).

The onsite restaurant was lovely, the beautiful presentation of the food tempted my children to eat all sorts of things they wouldn't usually touch! The bar, with it's safe, enclosed garden is a wonderful way to relax at the end of your day while still keeping an eye on the children.

All in all, the campsite is almost faultless. Most pitches give you a good degree of privacy, everything is clean, well maintained and designed. I can certainly understand why so many people return each year. However, it is a very flat, agricultural area and lacks the scenic drama of other French regions. Nevertheless, if you just want to spend the vast majority of you time in a campsite, you won't do better than La Garangeoire.

3 Thank LesleyEM22
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We stayed here for a week in August and had a fantastic stay. It more than met our expectations - beautiful woodland, great facilities and plenty to keep both adults and children happy.
We went with Keycamp, whose welcome staff were very helpful. Our caravan was clean and ideally located for the facilities and it was very quiet at night. The only negative was the Keycamp kids clubs - the staff seemed to have very little enthusiasm and did not seem to understand that a one year old does not always want to join in with everyone else - the coordinator got a bit shirty when my son tried to play with other toys in the tent. My five year old also came back disappointed when she was the only one who had not been face painted and we walked out of the 'disco' which was just awful. Luckily there was so much to do it didn't matter. The entertainment offered by the campsite was good fun, with decent kids discos, bouncy castles, quiz nights and a massive high walled garden behind the bar where the kids could run around whilst the parents relaxed. The pools were brilliant and kept immaculately clean.
The site has plenty of great places to visit all around it, including the lovely sandy Vendee beaches. Les Sable D'Olonne was lovely and Apremont had a castle and a fantastic lakeside beach with a kids play area.
Overall I can see why families keep returning here - its own website does not do it justice. We were sad to leave.

2 Thank JuJo73
Dub in Down
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is by far the best campsite we have ever visited. From the moment we arrived and checked in with reception the service and atmosphere were outstanding. It is set in a woodland and the beaches of Vendee are only a 20 min drive away. This campsite is all about families and it really feels as if you have entered a big family. I know the owners are actively involved in the day to day running of the site and it shows.
There was so much to do we found it difficult to keep up with our children aged 4 and 7. We booked with Keycamp and the mobile home a villa delux was very tired and dated and not the best we have stayed in but this is no reflection on this campsite. The kids clubs with Keycamp were as good as ever and the child care workers are wonderful and really make sure the children have fun. My daughter learned to ride her bike with no stablisers thanks Terri!!
There were crepe parties, garden parties, bubble workshops, balloon workshops, basketball demos, bands playing the list is endless. Plus a kids club in the evening so that parents can have a meal or a few glasses of wine in peace.
If you have children and you want a holiday that everyone will enjoy book here you will love it.

2 Thank DubinDownSecret
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

In June 13 we stayed in La Garangeoire for 10 days with our two boys aged 5 and 2. The campsite is located in rural Vendee amongst some beautiful scenic countryside. This was our first stay at La Garangeoire.
Functional facilities in the campsite are excellent with a well stocked shop, ample laundry services and a very helpful and knowledgeable reception area and staff - a special mention to Jean Luc who always showed how first class customer service should be conducted.
Entertainment facilities that we use on the campsite included; fishing on the lakes, tennis, the swimming pool complex, cycling, walks in the forest, table tennis, trampolines, mini golf, playground, football and go karts (at additional cost).
For evening entertainment the site has 2 bars (although the cosy bar beside reception was not used in the evening) a restaurant and a take away. We ate in the restaurant on two occasions and found the staff and food to be pleasant. The take away served lovely pizzas at reasonable price. The main bar backs onto a large walled garden which was beautiful on fine evenings to sit outside and enjoy a drink while the kids played on the bouncy castle and ran about making friends. There was also a crepe night here which was good fun and well worth doing.
We booked through Key Camp but ended up using the on site kids club. Aisling was very enthusiastic and attentive an deserves a special mention. The accommodation itself was well equipped though the grass area around the mobile should have been maintained/cut more regularly.
My wife really enjoyed the yoga classes (€7) which was on three times per week. My outlets were fishing on the site and cycling to Lac de Jaunay. The lakes on site had lots of small course fish (roach and hybrids) and also plenty of perch. While we were there Dave (fishing guru) stocked 10 carp in the main lake. My 5 year old caught his first fish on La Garangeoire which he is still talking about!
An absolute must for everyone why stays on La Garangeoire is the walk with Anne. She conveys the story and history of the house and lands with great passion and it is really really interesting. Erics talk at the 'welcome drink' is also worth a visit. Credit to them both for running such a wonderful site.
I'd also recommend 'getting out' and visiting other areas of the Vendee. Places we found interesting were Apremont, the Aquarium at La Rochelle, the Vendee history museum and the beach at Bretignolles sur Mer.
Previous reviews have covered supermarkets etc, so I won't go into that.
Overall, and even though the weather was far from ideal while we were there, we would highly recommend this site. These holidays are what you make of them, so get out there and enjoy yourselves!

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank DHDublin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Julien-des-Landes
Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa les Sables d'Olonne MGallery Collection
Cote Ouest Hotel Thalasso & Spa ...
#2 of 29 in Les Sables-d'Olonne
#1 of 29 in Les Sables-d'Olonne
Brit Hotel Vendee Mer
Brit Hotel Vendee Mer
#2 of 2 in La Mothe Achard

Been to La Garangeoire? Share your experiences!