“Interesting”
Review of Fossil Falls

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I was in Ridgecrest and had a few hours to spare... decided to visit. Good to read the history and background before visiting the falls. Interesting formations & chips, but I didn't see any fossils. Careful climbing the formation - dangerous to get to the bottom - I stopped for safety and I have >20 years climbing experience. Rough terrain to dry falls formation... ok for kids >4 or so with some assistance... smaller will need carried much of the way.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

High ratings for this? Why not? It's ancient, unique, intriguing, and fun to photograph! And any rock formation from a glacial run-off is worth taking a look.

As we made the turn off Hwy 395, there were no cars to be found. But as we neared the parking lot, we were amazed to see it full....now what does that tell you about this place?

Good footwear helps on the uneven and slightly rocky path and it can't hurt to bring along water for the short .2 mile trek to the falls. View is down the deep crevasses of the fossil rocks where there are no railings, so careful near edge!

Some may see it as just rocks, but a closer look at the twisted formations and you'll wish you paid more attention in Geology 101. It's free and natural so go check it out!

Reviewed May 25, 2013

The only reason I didn't give it a five star is because it can't compare with the Grand Canyon or Yosemite. But if you have never been or just pass by saying maybe next time. Trust me stop and check it out. Besides you needed a rest stop anyway, right?

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

If you have 30 minutes to spare & don't mind a small easy walk this is a very cool place to see. At first you're surrounded by volcanic rock, but be patient you'll soon come upon an awesome sight. We were so happy we didn't turn around & I thought the scenery was awesome, & totally mind blowing that over centuries this could be made. A definite place to go if you want to see something off the beaten path that is sadly neglected by travelers on their way to their destinations.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

It takes some dirt driving and hiking, but the petroglyphs are amazing, as is the topography. Volcanic formations, rock art, and yes an occasional fossil.