“Awesome vibe!”

Riverlodge Backpackers
“Awesome vibe!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A must if you are in Cape Town! Great atmosphere and cool place! The service was incredible, they went out of their way to ensure we had the best time possible, could not have had a better time and will definitely be returning while I'm in South Africa!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Amy B
Riverlodge C, Manager at Riverlodge Backpackers, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Riverlodge thanks you for your kind review and we look forward to welcoming you back whenever you are nect back in Cape Town.

We wish you safe and fun travels.

Warm Regards
The Riverlodge Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

First impression did not last longest! Because first we thought, small, not too clean looking rooms with a sweaty smell. But eventually we slept really good! The people are really helpfull and friendly. The kitchen is good. Nice open fire! And the next morning the manager gave us a shuttle rise to the airport. No waiting, she just dropped her work to give us service. Lovely girl!! They really care about guests and give great advices about how to travel through SA. So; shabby, but great!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank aStoryForTomorrow
Riverlodge C, Manager at Riverlodge Backpackers, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Greetings

We thank you for your feedback and honesty.

We apologize for your first impression of our rooms. Riverlodge prides itself on maintaining high standards of cleanliness and hygiene and we have acted immediately thanks to your feedback. The room in question has been stripped and deep cleaned to solve this issue and this should no longer be a problem in the future.

We are happy to hear that you received great service and we hope we can welcome you back soon and hopefully turn that frown upside down from a room perspective.

Warm Regards
Management
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I only stayed one night here, as a frequent traveler backpacking around many countries, I am used to traveling as cheap as possible. I was leaving very early the next morning to the airport, and wanted the cheapest backpackers around. Because I was leaving -very- early and had a suitcase, I decided to take my own room so I did not disturb anyone in the dorms, as well as I needed to go to bed very early and did not want to be disturbed myself.
The upside was the price and location. Incredibly cheap for a double room, and the location was a 10 minute drive from the airport. It's set in an area monitored by security gaurds, right across from Pinelands station, and a 15 minute walk from the local quik spar.
The staff were friendly and gave me any directions I needed, and let me use their phone to call a taxi for the next morning

There are one or two downsides. The room was one, although I was on a budget so it was what I could expect. So tiny I could barely even turn around! The bed was probably the worst part. The bunk was one of the noisiest ones I had stayed in! I could not move an inch without it making an incredible amount of noise! Also, the bottom bunk had no headspace. The top bunk was half a metre above so could not even sit up.

If you are staying for a short period of time and want a budget backpackers in a good location, which is also very secure - this is a great one.
Overall I did enjoy my stay here, and would definitely be back if I needed another night or two in the area.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Riverlodge C, Manager at Riverlodge Backpackers, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Greetings,

We thank you for your valuable feedback. We will look in to getting the beds fixed for noise and apologize you did not have as much room in your bed as you required. We have a variety of dorm beds, some with more space than others.

When you next visit Riverlodge, please make us aware at check in and we will do our best to accommodate you.

We wish you many more fun and safe travels and look forward to seeing you again.

Thankyou,
Riverlodge Management
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I had a good hospitality in the Riverlodge Back packers. I like cooking and I am gratefull I got all I needed to cook food I longed to eat. I will always choose Riverlodge when I am in Cape Town. I have already recommended the place to many people, clubs, schools, relatives etc. I also like Pinelands because they is enough transport (access to beautiful areas) in Cape Town. I also like Riverlodge because is quiter for people who are preparing for test/examinations. I also like to use showers to bath....... You can as well make reservation. People I met in the Lodge are easy to make friends with. I would only advise that one television is not enough for the residence. I sometimes want to watch sport wheres my colleagues want something else...especially on weekends, tuesdays wednesdays etc....

Room Tip: I cant complain. (I needed internet I got it, study lamp/light I got it so why should I worry
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Tshimologo K
Krugersdorp, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We needed accommodation for the Easter Weekend (2013) and I found Riverlodge on the internet and did a booking. Upon arrival, we were greeted by a very friendly staff member at Reception and were shown to our room. Seeing that we were a family of 4, the room was a bit small, but very clean. The kitchen area (which is shared) could have done with a bit more cleaning, but all in all not too bad. The shower areas were also clean, but I would have preferred a bit more privacy, like, perhaps an outer door that can close, so that you are not observed by any and all. Riverlodge is situated centrally, and is only a few minutes drive from Newlands stadium, Cape Town CBD and the train station is just across the road. Even though it wasn't exactly what we expected, we had quite an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Was very refreshing to have such a great welcome from Stacey after not getting much customer service from other hostels. Not only is the location convenient - 6 stops away from Cape Town and the station is a stone's throw away, but the kitchen facilites and rest areas are well kept and clean. The 2 Stacey's are always ready to help you with whatever you need (and always with a smile even though they are busy with whatever else) and can offer good deals for tours etc...I spent New Year's at Riverlodge and was very happy to start 2013 here...even if it meant falling in the pond drunk lol Well done Stacey and keep up the good work!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Minty c
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 26, 2013

Me and a friend stayed in a twin dorm for five nights in the middle of Feb. The room was rather small but as we spent most of the time we were there sitting in the common areas and in the garden with other guests, it didn't bother us. Everyone here was super friendly, especially the two Stacey's and the rest of the staff. Even though it isn't in the centre of town, we didn't feel isolated because it was in walking distance to the supermarket, a park and steers (a cheaper, nicer version of MacDonalds - their chips are AMAZING.), and the train station was also just over the road. They also organised two of our trips (shark cage diving and a peninsular tour - would reccommend both especially the diving) and we could not fault them in the slightest. Had such an amazing stay and cannot wait to visit again when I next get to go to Cape Town!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank teresa_norton
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinelands
City Lodge Hotel Pinelands
#7 of 125 in Cape Town Central
Atlantic Point Backpackers
Atlantic Point Backpackers
#3 of 125 in Cape Town Central

Been to Riverlodge Backpackers? Share your experiences!