“Excellent Value”

Riverlodge Backpackers
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My son and I enjoyed our stay here. Initially, I was a little concerned about the premise, but with the security and the knowledge of the people there, my stay turned out much better than expected. Cape Town is expensive so Riverlodge is a bargain. It's somewhat far from central Cape Town, but if you rent a car, it's really easy to get around and to city center. The rooms are clean and cheap. It's quiet at night but the kitchen is lively if you want to talk to people. Easy to get to supermarket by walking. You can take the train into the city during the day, avoid at night for safety. You won't find better value than Riverlodge.

Room Tip: Camping is best saved for the summer. Winter is cold and it does rain a lot.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Robbiec1964

Reviewed August 16, 2012

Pleasantly surprised:-)

Lovely backpackers, great location ( close to Cape Town International Airport and Pinelands Train Station for easy access to the city and other suburbs )

A wonderful place with Friendly, helpful and accommodating staff !

Highly recommended *****

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank kingburm
Reviewed August 14, 2012

I orginially booked this place for a couple of nights and then decided o stay for another. Here are the reasons why:

1) Great location, easy to get to from the city centre (15 minutes on the train which is really cheap especially if you buy a weekly ticket);
2) Great mix of people both staff and residents, both long term and short term;
3) Great facilities (especially the kitchen and the showers);
4) Quiet (as in no noise from the street. This is difficult to find right inthe city centre;
5) Price: Well I think that speaks for itself;

I would go back there in a flash having been to other bakcpacckers in the city centre. Great staff, great facilites. Well run.

Room Tip: Read reviews but try and understand why people have written what they have writeen.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Carlosherbane
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I wanted to stay at the Riverlodge Backpacker for 2 days because it´s near the airport and easy to reach...but finally I didn´t leave for 4 weeks. There are many reasons..
The stuff is so nice and friendly. They all want that you have a great time in Cape Town and help you with all your problems. They all were a big family for me and at the end I had many new really nice friends..thank you all :-)
The backpacker is really cheap and a good way to safe money. The rooms and the sanitary facilities are simple and always clean.
They have a nice garden where you can stay in a tent or only relax during the day...there is also a place where you can make a braai in the evening.
The kitchen is spaciously and there is everything you need.
The only disadvantage is that it´s a little bit far away from the city but it´s only a 2 minutes walk to the train station where you can get easily into the city. So it´s no problem at all!!
I can recommand that backpacker to everybody who wants to have a great time in Cape Town :-)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Britta S
Reviewed January 16, 2012

I spent three nights in this hostel. I do not speak English so it complicates communication. but they were very welcoming, caring with me. My first meetings of my trip. I thank Stacy for her kindness and patience because it helped me tremendously in organizing my trip. the beginning, I really needed. I would not forget this hostel if that is very family friendly.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank virginie c
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed at Riverlodge twice, storing my scuba gear there while I traveled around the country. The airport pickup and drop-off were right on time. The room was small and basic, but at least I didn't have to share. The facilities were fine: comfy sitting areas, fully stocked kitchen and really hot water showers. A special thanks to PJ, Greg and Wendy for making me feel like I was part of the family. They were particularly friendly, helpful and patient.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank wandersnoop
Reviewed December 2, 2011

relaxed, laid back place. cool atmosphere.
very recommandable for backpackers.
good public connection to the city (15 mins by train).
always a bunch of cool people around.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dani M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pinelands
Protea Hotel Cape Town Durbanville
#2 of 11 in Observatory
The Backpackers in Green Point
The Backpackers in Green Point
#1 of 129 in Cape Town Central

Been to Riverlodge Backpackers? Share your experiences!