“Excellent food in huge portions”
Review of O Fuso

O Fuso
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The restaurant has a full menu of choices but people go there for their two specialities: the grilled t-bone steak and the salt-dried codfish. The food is done in huge fireplaces around the two main sitting areas, using holm oak wood.

The steak was 35 euros but it's for two persons and it's delicious and melts in your mouth. I believe that the codfish has a similar price (and is also for two).

The dining rooms (there are two) are huge and reservation is usually only required for lunch on Sundays.

Reviewed July 6, 2013

Excellent grilled on charcoal cod and also excellent rib steak, very good meat indeed. The amount of the dishes (specially the cod) is massive but be aware that the prices are massive too, specially for Portuguese standards. All the rest of the restaurant menu, entrées, soups and deserts are bland and worthless because you are here to eat what you are going to eat; cod or meat, all the rest are unnecessary frills. Though I have never tryed the grilled chicken.

If you ask for a place to eat cod to a "Lisboeta" connoisseur you have some chances that he will recommend you this restaurant. And if you go 99% of the times you will be happy with the results. But if you ask me, honestly I think is not worth the 20 minutes highway drive from Lisbon to eat here and I can assure you that I don't mind to drive if the food is worth it. I have been several times and for sure I'll go more in the future but only if I'm in the area. IMO there are some restaurants in the very same Lisbon with similar cod quality, charcoal grilled and some of them even with half the price (for instance Cervejaria Valbom in Avenida Conde Valbom, Lisbon, I recommend to go only on lunch time during weekdays so you are sure they have plenty of stock and ask to choose by yourself the piece cod you would like to have, this restaurant is not half price but is nice, the half price one I have to keep it to myself till I leave finally Lisbon, sorry!).

1  Thank Stopford_LIS
Reviewed April 6, 2013

I ate cod and was really nice. We were 3 persons and it was little exaggerated but we finished our plates and I eat an apple for dessert and was really bad :(. But the main plate was ok. I recommend this place.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Run away from Lisbon's touristic spots if you wanna taste the cod fish of your life. "O Fuso" is a very local, in a small medieval town called "Quinta de Santa Maria D'Arruda", in the middle of the road between Sintra and Estoril. A huge wooden woven provides over 20 types of cod fish, in a very Portuguese environment, usually crowded on Saturday and Sunday (no worries, enjoy a genuine countryside wine while waiting for your table). Much cheaper than Lisbon's renowned restaurants and attended by Portuguese families, please be sure that you'll skip dinner.

Thank Oriovaldo Anton... T
Reviewed December 18, 2012

We stayed at the Quinta de Santa Maria D'Arruda and I wanted to go out for meal. A Portuguese friend of mine that I called for suggestions on the area said that a great restaurant nearby was just around the corner from where we were. O Fuso. Well apparently people drives from very far to go there. it is not cheap (for London Standard it is normal price). However it is worth it. The food is excellent, the wine is excellent the service is excellent and the interior is superb. Trust the waiter for suggestions and you can share food, the portions are very generous. Example my antie, uncle and my mum took bacalu (grilled) 1 portion for three and they could not finish it. Served on a tray with potatoes it was the biggest piece of fish I have ever seen. My dad and I took a stake to share, it was butter and again the stake hardly fitted on the wooden tray. Get local after dinner spirit if you can. you can see what they are making for the night when you walk in the grill is by the bar and you can chose what you want.