“quaint villas with jaw dropping sea views”

Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“quaint villas with jaw dropping sea views”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

The villas are smallee than others in lombok, with not enough table space. The outside bathroom is a nice idea, but there is insufficient lighting, and no escape from the mozzies! The hotel also ruined three of my tops I put in for cleaning which was disappointing. Meals were ok, youre bettrr off heading into mangsit. However, the infinity swimming pool and access to the great beach were amazing. Best way to experience the lombok sunset was with a beer in one hand whilst in the pool.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Deena C
Sara S, General Manager at Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Deena C

I would like to thank you for your comments regarding your stay and I would like to respond to some of your comments which I have copied directly from you below.

Deena C:
The villas are smallee than others in lombok, with not enough table space.

Puri Mas
I would like to point out to our readers that the room you stayed in was not one of our villas - which are some of the largest villas on the island with private pools of 25m2.
The room you stayed in was a Cosy Budget room which are often chosen by people wanting to enjoy our resort, and its beautiful facilities but are looking for a more economical room type. These rooms are clearly described in our blurb as smaller so as not to mislead any guest prior to arrival. These rooms are still beautifully appointed and decorated.

Deena C

Puri Mas:
One of the most amazing things for most visitors to Indonesia, and especially to our resort is the fact that they are able to enjoy the experience of an outside bathroom.
Weekly fogging keeps any mosquitoes very much at bay, and we are very happy to say that we hear very little comments from our many guests regarding issues with mosquitoes.

Deena C

Puri Mas:
I am very concerned to hear that you say you had three tops ruined - our staff in the housekeeping have never mentioned any complaint from a guest regarding such an incident, and I have not had any information at all about this.

I cannot imagine why you did not inform to us directly if there was such a problem so that we could have solved this issue during your stay. I know that the Puri Mas Staff would have informed me about such a complaint immediately had they known.

Our laundry staff are amazing, with all our laundry done on site and we take great care and pride in our guests personal items given to us for laundering.

It seems that overall your stay could have been improved had you chosen to inform us earlier on in your stay - for example regarding the open bathroom - we do have closed alternatives for those guests who really don't wish to bathe under the stars, and definitely we could have looked into the issue with your laundry.

I am very sorry if we did not live up to your expectations, but it seems you did have a good experience in our infinity pool facility which is great to hear.

Thank you for giving us a try, and we do have to acknowledge we are never going to keep 100% of our guests smiling all of the time.

Sara

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Really don't know where to start as from start to finish everything was excellent, the owner Marcel must be very happy with what his achieved and the staff he has employed as they were all very friendly and helpful. We stayed in room one mid September, but it is more like a small villa with really great personal touches like frangipanis everywhere from the beautiful gardens, incense and the shower with the statue was so authentic and really fitted the accommodation. The infinity pool was amazing as were the views, the ballroom restaurant and just the overall service was second to none! We took a visit to Puri Mas spa and got to see the truly amazing gardens the rescued animals including monkeys and deers (they were all treated so nicely) and we even had a spa in the healing chi water. The guide at the Spa was so informative and kind to us so I would like to specially thank Dewa. Puri Mas is highly recommended and I can't wait to revisit. Thank you to all the staff for creating a little slice of Paradise.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank walshee
Sara S, General Manager at Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear walshee

We thank you so much for taking the time after your holiday to write such a glowing review. It means so much to us all when guests have a great stay - after all that is what you come for and what we strive for.

The animals in the Spa Resort and of course the lovely Mutiara Hitam and Bomber - our so called guard dogs at the gate in the beach resort are all very much part of our family here loved by the staff and guests alike - so we are glad you enjoyed their company too.

We hope you will return, and in the not too distant future!!

Best wishes and enormous thanks from us all.

Sara and the Puri Mas Staff
Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

What a brilliant place to stay. I asked my husband to sum the place up in one word and he said "quiet' for me the word is "relaxed". We have stayed at many resorts in Asia and this has been one of the most rejuvenating.
We wanted a rest and somewhere romantic to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary and haven't been disappointed. Mangsit is a mostly untouched part of Lombok paradise and Puri Mas Beach Resort is luxury accommodation with every possible convenience you need right in the resort. We have found most of the guests appear to be either young just married couples or like us more mature. The no children policy adds an extra relaxing dimension.
The resort offers enough opportunity for privacy but also lovely public spaces. The beautiful gardens are well maintained, there is an abundance of delightful art, sculpture and Indonesian treasures all around. These surroundings appear busy at first but with time each corner of the resort offers more visual appeal. The beach just to the side of the resort is a glorious, peaceful walk along soft black sand! You can swim in the warm ocean, snorkel around the rocks or snooze by the infinity pool. You could also indulge in a massage by the poolside.
The restaurant offers delicious, well priced food and the breakfasts are more than adequate. You never really need to leave the resort. There are lots of eating places available in Senggigi but we have found the convenience of eating in the open air restaurant with a cool, ocean breeze more inviting than a cab ride into town and back. The prices at the resort are comparable with the restaurants in town and offer cosmopolitan and Indonesian selections. We are looking forward to the special banquet tomorrow night to celebrate our anniversary after attending guest cocktails in the amazing looking Presidential Villa/Palace.
If shopping is your thing this is not the place for you but then we have not ventured far and have not explored the shopping that's apparently available at the shopping centre in the capitol. The beach hawkers push lots of various trinkets but do disturb the peaceful atmosphere.
A day trip to the Gil's is a must and we would highly recommend the tour company offered through the resort, "Bagus Divers". We had a brilliant time snorkelling on the reef and a lovely, relaxing lunch "Balinese style" in an open air pavilion on soft, reclining cushions overlooking the big island's beach.
We are staying in a Jacuzzi suite which is large, private and although we would have loved an outdoor shower the jacuzzi is a winner. From what we can see there are a variety of different rooms all with their own special features. If we come again we'll book a Villa Suite which wasn't available this time as they appear even more luxurious and spacious.
I found it a little hard to understand the TripAdvisor search as there are actually two resorts owned by the one owner. There is the beach resort right on the beach and the Spa resort which is 2 kilometres down the road by the resort shuttle service. Here you'll find a magnificent garden, semi zoo, even more quiet accommodation and the Spa.
The staff are welcoming, friendly and helpful. We have found their English excellent and they have served us at all times with a smile and have been very accommodating.
Overall, we'd definitely stay here again if we ever get another opportunity to visit this paradise.

Room Tip: All the rooms offer their own unique features. We had suite 20 which is a jacuzzi suite. Jacuzzi is...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bronwyn D
Sara S, General Manager at Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Hello Bronwyn D

Again I would like to wish you a very Happy 30th Wedding Anniversary. I remember your evening of very romantic celebration, which I hope was even more special as you were staying with us in Puri Mas.

You are correct in your description of the majority of our clients. Yes either baby boomers or young honeymoon couples. We also have a great atmosphere for single travellers because of our small and intimate resort - it means that nobody really feels alone but more a part of something special going on.
Our child policy of no children under 12 years obviously disappoints some parents who are unable to stay with us, however, the majority of people understand it, and there is no doubt more and more of our clients really enjoy the peace and tranquility the policy brings to our resort.

Thank you for mentioning that we have two resorts - but to avoid confusion to our readers, it is important to know that we have two locations - rather than two resorts. All guests whether they are staying in land 2km from the beach at our amazing Spa Resort, or directly on the beach in Mangsit Bay, they are welcome at any time to move freely between each location enjoying the contrasting vistas of beach and jungle.

It also means that if you are feeling you should go somewhere to sightsee in Lombok but a bit lazy to travel too far - a quick 2 minute drive inland to Puri Mas Spa Resort is a sight for sore eyes to be sure!!
The drive also takes in the local village life passing through Hindu and Muslim houses temples and mosques, children, chickens, dogs and cows, small markets and stalls selling different household daily necessities - its all there to see and experience.
Once you reach the oasis of Puri Mas Spa Resort which is located behind enormous wooden gates - peace, tranquility and relaxation awaits you.

We are happy you appreciate the English Language from our staff. It is challenging for some as it is not their first language - however Puri Mas does provide weekly English lessons for our staff, and it is slowly but surely paying off for our English speaking guests.

Hopefully you will be able to celebrate your 31st Wedding Anniversary with us - you were lucky that the 30th is the Pearl Anniversary - what better place than Lombok to celebrate as it is the home of amazing South Sea Pearls - some of the highest quality in the world - I think I saw a very nice necklace if I am not wrong!!

Congratulations and very best wishes to you both.

Sara and all the staff here in Puri Mas.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

Perfect is all I can say. I really cannot recommend this place enough. The service, rooms, and environment are all spot on but the added factor is the whole feel of the place - it sounds cheesy and like I'm paid to advertise the place but you really do feel like guests who are welcome rather than customers. I think we were in one of the cheaper rooms but it was amazing and I would not think twice about staying there again. I still dream about sitting by their swimming pool (and the pool side waiter was excellent). The owner is a professional dancer and you always feel the essence of that with really beautiful and nostalgic pictures around the place. I was really disappointed about leaving the day before their 'guest night' where they had drinks in the presidential room (which was very presidential!!) and dance lessons - I don't usually like hotel/hostel/resort activities but this was the rare occasion where I wanted to get involved. The hotel manager introduced herself like we were personal guests and I can honestly say I've never been more reluctant to leave a hotel!! Also - if you do stay there its essential that you have at least one meal there because the food is second to none.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Caroline B
Dear Caroline B

I can feel a song coming on - and thank you very much for the title of your review, it is immensely flattering and I hope we can live up to the expectations of other visitors to Puri Mas once they have read your marvellous review!!

Our Guest Night is every Tuesday - and we hope next time you visit we can enjoy a nice drink together. Our meet n greet cocktail evening is always great fun before we begin the dancing and cultural evening of entertainment arranged by our owner Marcel and his students of dance that are all part of our "Friendship Through Dance"social program funded by our guests who stay with us in Puri Mas.

Thank you again for your amazing review.

Best wishes from us all.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

We went to Lombok on our honeymoon and upon the recommendations listed in TripAdvisor. Never regretted going to this - in fact, Puri Mas is the best resort I've been to thus far.

We tried the ocean-view villa (Ratu), cozy budget (7), and another villa (6) throughout our 4D4N trip because of conflicting room availability. Nevertheless, we didn't mind shifting around and enjoying the different rooms. Each had its own charm and limitations. The thing about the rooms is that a cheaper option doesn't mean its worst. For example, the cozy budget (cheapest) option had an outdoor shower area which we loved so much, whereas the ocean view room didn't have that. I suppose the variety makes it enticing for revisits!

We went for the jungle trekking but it was a disappointment not to be able to see the waterfall as it was not the rainy season. The hike took longer than expected though so we didn't manage to complete it. We also went to the Puri Mas Spa for a massage and had a good time with the animals there - almost like a mini-zoo in there!

Breakfast was great! There was a good variety and it was a delight to see Eggs Benedict one morning for breakfast compared to the usual hotel fare of scrambled eggs/omelette. Also, you can ask for their locally made butter to have with your bread. It's much more fragrant than the regular ones in small packs.

We also tried the Rijisstafel option 1 - the chicken was the clear winner! The coconut dessert was fantastic. The best part was having a feast of local delights next to the setting sun and beach. The setting was Indonesian style - ie: low table and chair in an airy pavilion which means that we could laze around there post-dinner and just listen to the crashing waves. Bliss!

There's no perfect place and Puri Mas have its own issues which I think is only fair to include -
The polish on the floor had an oily (?) sheen to it and we didn't like the feeling of it. Felt like walking on a oily kitchen floor. Thankfully they provide slippers to wear. Also, the Ocean villa (Ratu) view of the ocean wasn't as good as expected because our view was blocked by an adjacent building. Additionally, the bathroom had a weird smell which we tried ignoring. Oh, and if you're into watching movies you can borrow them from the Art Gallery. However, not all movies are working. The Jack and the Beanstalk movie couldn't play :(

One thing which was a bugbear for us was the close proximity to the local hawkers. I know they're making a living but when I'm on holiday in a private resort I appreciate the peace and quiet. Picture this - you're having a nice breakfast by the beach when the a local hawker (only 2m away) keeps pestering you to buy his wares. Or you're lazing on the sundeck and a local tout (only 2m away) calls you out to take his boat to Gili. Gosh, what a bummer!

Room Tip: Make sure you use the mosquito netting if you don't want to get bitten at night! The cozy budget...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bryanetiq
Dear bryanetiq

Thank you so much for writing a review regarding your stay with us. Your honest and helpful comments I am sure will help to guide prospective readers to our resort as they will be very sure what to expect. I quote your phrase " Puri Mas is the best resort I've been to thus far." - that is a very special remark - thank you from us all.

Thank you for explaining to our readers that one of the unique and interesting things about Puri Mas is that no two rooms are exactly the same. You are correct that this can make for a very interesting stay, and most definitely an interesting return visit as so many of our guests do.

I am sorry that nobody explained to you that there may not be much water at the waterfall. Actually this is quite unusual - especially as we had such a late ending rainy season this year. Not to worry as the raining season will begin again soon so for those who are visiting now, there will be more water in the fall for sure.

It is good to hear you enjoyed visiting the Spa Resort and the many animals in care there. It is quite the mini zoo as you say, and our new puppies are such a wonderful addition to the Puri Mas family. "We have named the puppies Mona and Lisa!! People can see their pictures together with more of our animals on our Puri Mas Facebook page.

I will pass on your positive comments regarding the eggs benedict to our new pastry chef Mr. Kanam - he is amazing!!

Noted your comments regarding the feel on the polished floor and I have checked with our Operation Manager to see what the product is they are using and source something less greasy - thank you for the information about this.

You are absolutely correct that having beach sellers trying to entice you to purchase their products whilst you are relaxing can be very annoying. It depends upon the beach seller, most of whom we have to say are very polite, and if you asked them to leave you alone, are happy to let you relax. Sometimes we encounter a seller who is new to the area, and are not quite up with the rules of the other beach sellers who are very understanding and very friendly with our guests - we can only apologise for this, and assure our guests that the old hands on the beach will do their best to sort out any newcomers who might be spoiling the situation.

Yes we do advise that all guests make use of the beautiful, and very practical mosquito nets. Not all resorts offer this service, and we are in a tropical region. Although we must say mosquitoes are not much of a problem in our resort as we do spray regularly. It is always sensible to take precautions, and the mosquito nets are the best way to do this.

Thank you again for your very supportive, positive and helpful review - and of course for enjoying your time with us in Puri Mas.

We hope to meet again.

KL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

I don't work for this place and you may think that way because I have nothing bad to say about it.
In truth Puri Mas exceeded our expectations for the second time. Our first encounter with Puri Mas was after a disastrous trip to Gili Trawangan. Puri Mas turned out to be just the place we were looking for and we vowed to return and so we did.
Let me say that this is the ideal place for a couple to be together. The accomodations and service were absolutely amazing. The warmth of the Lombok people and staff was so touching we connected with so many people while at Puri Mas. Unfortunately we did not get to see Marcel (owner) this time around because he was away but during our first trip he was an amazing host and such a cool guy to hang out with.
There is not enough space in this textarea for me to write all about our trip so I will break it down to the important bits. The Ristaffel menu was so excellent and superbly presented that we actually had it twice. The pool and sunset views were awesome. Our day trips to lombok with Iskandar (driver/guide) was fantastic and he possessed great knowledge of those getaways not many people are privileged to know about. The room service and front desk was 5-star and I say this confidently because we moved not less than twice around the resort because of booking conflicts - our fault because we did not book early enough. That said the staff made this process super comfortable and painless for us. Puri Mas Spa was on another level and we would just go and hang out there because Marcel has the best collection of exotic birds and landscaping on the island.
Lastly I must say that as non-drinkers my wife and I enjoyed this place just as much as the other guests and we would gladly go back there. The vibe was so good and respectful to all.
For romantic getaways you don't need to look further than Puri Mas.

Room Tip: The quirky garden room is great value but so are the small villas. Rooms closer to the pool and rest...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Zayedi

I would like to offer a personal thank you for the words you have written regarding your stays with us.

It seems you tried almost everything here, and I am so pleased that the resort, staff and services did exceed your expectations.

Puri Mas seems to have touched your soul as it does for so many people, who return year after year, and we hope that you will have time to return again, especially to enjoy the wonderful Spa Resort, the delightful animals, plants and birds living their with Marcel and some of his staff.

Looking forward to meeting you again.

Warm regards from us all here in Puri Mas.

Tromso, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed here for 3 days and fell in love with our room !
We got private pool and jacuzzi and the food quite good :)
The staff also friendly and helpful and they will help to call taxi for you if you needed :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear BlaqkOrchid

Thank you very much for writing your to the point positive review.

We are very glad that you enjoyed your time with us, and for the positive comments on our staff service. I will pass them on to the staff whom I know will be very pleased that their hard work is being recognised by our visitors to Puri Mas.

Thank you again for visiting us, and we hope to see you back in Puri Mas in the future.

Sara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
Qunci Villas Hotel
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
#11 of 30 in Senggigi
The Chandi Boutique Resort & Spa

Been to Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!