“Excellent resort”

Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
Reviewed October 2, 2012 via mobile

My husband and I stayed her for two nights and I did not want to leave
We had a beautiful room quirky garden it was superb, clean and very cosy
The restaurant and breakfast were great value and the meals fantastic
The staff are very friendly and helpful thank you Made Rare for your assistance with our booking etc
The resort is located in a very nice area and the views back to Bali and mt agung are beautiful especially at sunset , try this while sipping a nice cocktail around the pool ...
If you travel to Lombok I would highly recommend Puri Mas for your stay ..

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Dlwal
LovelyLombok, General Manager at Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear DlWal

Thank you very much for writing a precise, helpful and positive review about your stay in our resort. I hope that the readers of your review feel confident in what you have said, and make Puri Mas their preferred choice of resort when coming to Lombok.

From all of us in Puri Mas thank you so much for staying, and we hope to meet you again.

Best wishes

Sara and all staff of Puri Mas

There are newer reviews for Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa

Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed twice here... Once was May last year with my group of girlfriends and the second time was this year's July with my partner... Both times, I transferred from Bali and stayed for 4D3N... Even though Lombok is much quieter than Bali, I would not mind staying longer here...

Location - Puri Mas is in the middle of the stretch of Sengigi Beach... There are no shops nearby so you must engage a driver (thru the hotel or on your own) to bring you out... Good thing is Puri Mas is a beachfront hotel... So if you are just looking for a vacation to relax and chill by the beach/pool, this place is perfect for you... We only spent a day out for spa and seafood dinner, which was about 30mins ride away from the hotel... Puri Mas has an in-house spa but the rate was rather expensive...

Staff and Service - We are quite conversant in Bahasa Indonesia... So we had no problems communicating but my partner told me that their staff often misunderstood his message... However, I did not hear how exactly he spoke to them so I assumed that my partner's Bahasa Indonesia is not as good as mine... Haha... I could say that their service were excellent and prompt, especially the F&B staffs.... All of them were super friendly, efficient and the breakfast spread was excellent... We had dinner at their restaurant all 3 nights on their beachfront verandah... It was total heaven - all their food were delicious and the ambience was windy and comfortable... We sat there for hours and even fell asleep a few times...

During both stays, I engaged their in-house dive operator to go for snorkeling trips in Gili isands... Their diving staffs were equally as good in terms of service... It was not an easy task to monitor 3 girls snorkeling at one time but Darwin (one of the dive master) was really attentive of our safety... He made sure that we were nearby and at the same time, had the chance of exploring the corals and fishes.. He recognised me when I went there for the second time but we did not have the chance to snorkel together as my partner himself is a dive master and underwater photographer... We just engaged Darwin to bring us to Gili Meno...

Ok now for the room... Both times, I stayed in their Deluxe King Sea view and I got the same room... The room is very Balinese style, with comfortable king bed and outdoor toilet... It also has a queen-sized day bed on the terrace outside... Everything was perfect in this room until we had a scary experience during my first stay... At night, I saw something sat on the tree while I was brushing my teeth... It was dark outside and as I looked into the mirror, I noticed a pair of red eyes staring at me... I turned my back and looked at the tree... There was nothing except for a yellow flower... I then used that yellow flower as a "landmark" and looked back into the mirror... The pair of red eyes was exactly next to the yellow flower! I went into the room and told my girlfriends... One of them followed me into the toilet, pretending to wash our hands... She also experienced the same thing - she did not see it when she entered the toilet but when we were talking while washing our hands, she looked into the mirror and saw that red eyes next to the yellow flower... The next morning, all we saw was the yellow flower and nothing else on the tree (except for leaves, of course)... We did not report this to the hotel management and we were glad that was the last night of our stay... I got the same room during the second time and there were no other equivalent rooms when I asked for change... But I was lucky that my partner was a brave person who stayed by my side 24/7... Fortunately, I did not experience anything scary on my second stay... I would give a 5-star if this scary experience did not occur...

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear RoseAmethyst

Thank you very much first of all for choosing our resort not only once, but twice, this is fantastic, so a big thank you from us all.

Thank you also for your positive comments you have made that I am sure will be interesting for Puri Mas review readers.

Regarding the incident you mentioned that happened in your garden bathroom - this is something perhaps unusual, although occasionally not unexpected given we are a tropical country.
Our resort is surrounded by hills, trees and flora - which of course sometimes lends itself as a habitat for fauna!
I am sure that the red eyes you and your friend saw were the eyes of a very scared gecko or possum like animal, both of which are completely harmless.
It is very rare nowadays for us to enjoy seeing any wildlife except within the jungle, as Lombok gives way to more development, and it is important that we do our best to protect all species.

Therefore I can only say to readers who may be concerned about what you have described in your review - that to see any wildlife here in our resort outside of our zoo in the Spa Resort area, would be an exception rather than an every day occurrence, and in fact highly unlikely except for as I have written a gecko or some small rodent type of creature.

We are glad that whatever it was you saw decided it wasn't happy being spied on by humans and chose to move on, as quickly as it came, and wasn't there on your second visit!!

Thank you again for your explanation, and for our review readers - if you were to ever experience anything that might make you feel uncomfortable, we do suggest you contact our staff immediately who will do the right thing to make you feel happy in your environment.

Warm regards

Sara

Reviewed October 1, 2012

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at Puri Mas Beach Resort Lombok in the middle of our Bali holiday. Not knowing how to actually get to the hotel from either the fast boat harbour or the airport, we opted for the fast boat. There was a lot of conflicting information about how far the airport was from the resort, and also because it seemed easier to be picked up from our Nusa Dua hotel and taken to the departure harbour, we opted for fast boat. We had quite rough weather on the way over, so after an hour all windows had to be closed to stop the waves coming in, which then made us sit in the diesel smelling cabin for the remaining 1.5 hours. Not pleasant. The trip back was much calmer, but I would recommend flying!! The airport is about 1 hour from Puri Mas.
The resort was lovely. Clean, very 'Indonesian' with such a beautiful tropical garden! Every pathway was lined with bouganvillia, frangepani and others plants.
The staff, so wonderfully led by Manager Sarah, were all so attentive, polite and friendly.
I agree with other reviewers that the restaurant wasnt 5 star, but it was adequate. We tried several restuarants, but came to the conclusion that the food and the prices were as good as,if not better than going out. It was lovely to sit outside the restaurant after dinner, which was open on two sides anyway, hearing the ocean, listening to the entertainment and just enjoying the tropical evening away from all cares and worries.
We stayed in a Classic Queen garden view room (no 3) with a semi outdoor bathroom. Loved it! The bed in the room along with the day bed on the deck was delicately draped with netting to ensure comfort away from any stray mozzies. We had no problem inside, but when we actually used the outside bed for our night bed, dropped the netting. A hairdryer was supplied, along with a sarong and slippers and usual toiletries.
We didnt swim in the ocean, but it did look inviting, preferring the infinity pool, with its water fountains at one end and plenty of sun lounges.
Puri Mas is surprising in the number of different styles of accommodation it offers. As mentioned ours was a garden room, there were also villas with their own pools.
We did have a massage and a look around the twin property a couple of kms away the Puri Mas Spa Resort. That was a good experience, but I am glad we chose the beach resort!
Tip: I read before we arrived that the trip to town to the restaurants was a 5 minute taxi ride away. To me that meant it was probably a 10 - 15 minute walk! Dont be misled. The road is very winding, no footpath and parts are along a cliff. Definately take a taxi!!

Room Tip: We like to see and chat with fellow travellers so our choice of room was perfect. A villa with its o...

Dear ElizabethM22

Thank you for your wonderful review and intelligent information to other readers. It is great for prospective clients to be offered realistic and helpful advise to assist them to choose the right place for their holiday.

We are very happy that your time with us was enjoyable. I would like to say thank you to you both for being great guests and a pleasure to host.

We hope you had success in your search for purchases in Bali, and that your furniture arrives safe and sound.

We look forward to meeting you again in Puri Mas.

Warm regards
Sara and all staff!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

Stay at Puri Mas for 4 days, the beach and area is great and the hotel tries but let itself down. We were in a nice enough room but having the toilet downstairs (quite steep stairs) is not great when you want to go in the middle of the night. There might only be one or two rooms like this but get rid of them. The staff were friendly and keen to assist, but lack the ability to read customers needs therefore there was a long wait between drinks (which must affect hotel profits) maybe some time and effort put into staff training would improve their ability to be able to help customers without being to in there face. Prices were fair. The menu could do with some improvement, again only fair. I don't think I would stay there again as there are better options on the same beach and also close by. Competition is a great thing if you respond.

Room Tip: Ensure that you have toilet on same floor or you have a bladder that doesn't need emptying in th...
2  Thank Martyn B
LovelyLombok, General Manager at Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Martyn B

Thank you for taking the time to make a review of your experience in our resort during your stay in September.

I see that you stayed in room 4. For those readers interested in your review, I would like to inform them that this room is actually one of our most popular rooms categorised as "Cosy Budget Lumbung House.
The reason it is incredibly popular with our clients is because is is a completely traditional Sasak House known as a lumbung. (The Sasak people are the indigenous people of Lombok Island, and they have their own style of houses, as well as many other cultural items making them a unique people in Indonesia).
Also to help the readers - we only have one room of this type at our Beach Resort, and one at our Spa Resort.

The house is two story and as you correctly inform the guests the bathroom facilities are on the lower level adjacent to the sitting area.
There is a spiral staircase leading to the bedroom - again something the majority of our clients love because it is unique and interesting - but if you are not into a typically traditional Lombok style of room - then we suggest you choose another option of which we have many and at different budgets.

Noted your information regarding the staff being slightly slow to check your drinks, this is something we do impress upon our staff during their training, however, if readers check other reviews, they will also read that our staff check too often - sometimes it can be difficult for the staff to gauge the needs of clients, especially between cultures, and I am sorry that in your experience you felt we were a little slow!

Thank you again for your comments which have been very helpful.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

We stayed for two nights as a stop over on our way to Gili Trawangan and actually enjoyed it more! We booked a standard room, which was a gorgeous little bungalow with rattan walls and thatched roof. The bed was huge and comfortable, surrounded by a curtain of mosquito netting and covered in fresh flowers when we arrived. We checked late (after midnight) and hotel pickup from the airport was easy to arrange and Dafy the driver was friendly and chatted with us the 90 minute drive to the hotel, telling us about Lombok. Waking the next morning was a lovely surprise, wandering the 20 minutes to the restaurant to find that it is on the beach with the waves crashing us against a rock wall and a view over the Bali Strait to Mt Ugung in the distance. We did however have one incident during our stay... My daughter (15) and I had taken a stroll along the beach and to my extreme surprise, were called to by a man standing beside a nearby tree calling to us, undertaking a VERY inappropriate act. We quickly left the beach , but returned later for a swim to be confronted by him again, crouched between the fishing boats, still doing what he was doing before. I rushed by daughter back to the hotel and informed staff, who casually called security. I was quite disappointed when a security guard arrived and stood well with in the hotel grounds, next to the pool, not making any attempt to investigate the beach. He asked me a few questions, but left it up to the beach sellers to look along the beach. I inadvertently snapped a (albeit blurry) picture of the man in the back ground of a picture I took, so can prove his existence, and there was NO questioning what he was up to... Any how, a small blemish in an otherwise perfect experience.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Dear Reneelouise27

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review of our resort, and thank you also for your kind words you have said about our staff, service and hotel.

Just one sentence I would like to comment on directly is that you say in your review that the restaurant was a 20 minute walk from your room - and in case readers are thinking that they will have to make a marathon journey to our restaurant - it is in fact just seconds from most rooms and the most 2 minutes!! I hope that nobody has been mislead by this small detail.

With regards to the unhappy incident on the beach. First of all I would like to say how sorry we are that you and your daughter had to experience such a thing. It is the first time anyone has ever mentioned such an act to me, and I have been here for many years both as a guest and manager. If you were able to send the picture you have taken to me, or to the hotel attention to Sara Sanders General Manager, then I will most definitely look into the matter further.

Actually, we do not have any jurisdiction on the beach but for such an incident that you have reported, our security should have immediately called the Tourist Police who are always driving around this area.
Unfortunately our security are not totally conversant in the English language, therefore I am not totally clear that they understood exactly the complaint, but we will definitely ensure that should anything like this ever be reported again - that they immediately notify the correct authorities.

We are very happy that the incident didn't mar your holiday with us, and we hope to see you back here again in the not too distant future.

With best wishes

Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed 5 nights in this tranquil oasis - gardens lush and full of sculptures-infinity pool lovely with plenty of sunlounges for everyone. Staff friendly, though I find it annoying being asked how your food or drink was all the time. The food was more homestyle than restaurant fare and was overpriced for what you got. Breakfast was a bit ho-hum and for a resort of this calibre, I would expect REAL fruit juice, not cordial style juice to be served. The coffee was so strong, I only had it once. The bed was super comfortable, as were the huge pillows. Our 2 outside doors had centimetre cracks in them, once closed, and I was concerned about insects entering the room, especially at night - but we had mozzie coils provided and they seemed to do the trick.We spent an afternoon up at the spa resort, swimming in their deserted pool and looking around the grounds - very tranquil. I felt their spa treatments were overpriced, and we waited till we returned to our Bali hotel to indulge in one at less than half the price. If you arrive at Lombok by boat, make sure you have organised to be picked up by the resort or a taxi, as the cowboys running the show at Telek Kode will rip you off, providing transport for the half hour drive at 3 times the actual fare. Overall, it was a very relaxing spot and the "no children" policy was much appreciated, to create the perfect ambience for a restful holiday.

Room Tip: We had the Royal Suite which was up a long flight of stairs, so bare this in mind when booking. Bein...

Dear Jiffs

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us in Puri Mas and thank you for the high ranking, even though there were a couple of things you feel we could improve upon.

As we want to do the best for our clients, your comments are very well received, both positive and negative.

Regarding the orange juice - actually it is fresh juice - but not freshly squeezed. We import this juice from Bali, it is not made a la minute as we do our local juices such as pineapple, water melon and so on. I agree with you that the orange juice could be better and we are working on trying to find an alternative supplier for this item.

Our coffee is Lombok Coffee - but perhaps our staff were a little heavy handed as the Sasak people do enjoy a very dark thick blend! It is a Robusta coffee - therefore if any guests reading this are worried they may not be able to enjoy a great coffee for your information the coffee at breakfast coffee is Lombok Coffee, however should you wish to enjoy a cappuccino or espresso we also have machine coffee available for purchase.

The Spa treatments you commented were over priced, however we do research how other hotels are pricing and in Lombok are more than comparable. We feel we do need to point out that Puri Mas has the only totally dedicated spa resort on the island with very highly trained staff and high quality products. Our relaxing and most popular massage is well priced at Rp. 245,000 net. and our in house clients receive a 10% discount on all treatments.
We believe we offer excellent value in our Spa, given the venue and quality of service and products we offer - it is a pity you missed out on the wonderful experience so many of our guests enjoy.

Thank you also for the useful information you have offered to readers regarding drivers waiting at the different harbours.

TRANSFERS - In order to help our guests Puri Mas arranges airport and harbour transfers for the majority of our clients. It is often the easiest and cheapest way unless you are very experienced in bargaining and are already aware of the going rates. Just ask us to do this for you when you confirm your reservation.

Again our sincere thanks for your helpful comments. We hope to enjoy your company again in Puri Mas.

Best wishes

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We arranged this little holiday for our brother and his new wife as a treat to the end of their Bali honeymoon, but we joined them! And No they did not mind at all :)

Well this little gem is worth the hour travel from the airport as just the journey to the hotel makes you feel you have escaped the real world and on your way to relaxation! Advise you have the hotel pick you up!

We opted for one of the garden villas which were lovely and quaint with a garden bathroom! Felt very close to nature having a shower I can tell you! Bit strange using the loo but no one could see over the wall.....maybe hear you hahaha

The rooms are simple but adequate! Our first night was not great because of the aircon was real noisy, however the next morning they asked how we slept and we just mentioned not that good, they asked why? Well rest is history as within a couple of hours a new aircon was in place and we had peaceful sleeps from there on in!

The setting is perfect for this boutique hotel! My hubby and I are well travelled in Asia and I can honestly say the best so far! We all loved it! The staff are very friendly even the gardners have a 'good morning' for you.

The gardens are lovely and colourful and kept so tidy. The pool is nice and quiet! But the beach is just gorgeous and uncommercial, just hope it stays that way and the big resorts keep away.

All four of us only had one criticism and that was the breakfast and snacks! Honestly the brekki is a little poor and could show abit of imagination with some homemade touches! Like fresh musili with nuts and dried fruits to sprinkle on! With the different cultures that visit here more variety would be good. Like cheese & hams nice fresh breads to slice up, another choice of yogurt & more variety of eggs. With all the lovely fruits could have a juicer on board too. We were advised from other friends who had stayed here before not to really bother with dining in so we didn't although we did do lunch one day and we have had better! It's almost there just needs a little more attention.

So overall though we all loved the surroundings, the peacefulness and the beauty! The peddlers on the beach are actually not a nuisance really as when you say no there is no pressure like in Europe, they just smile and move on! And in fact we were happy to sit and chat to them sometimes as they were harmless and nice people just making a living! We brought a various selection of sarongs and pearls, .just haggle with them and you can always get a good price!

Shall we come back? Oh yes I am planning it already, even if the brekki is not that great I can live with it! The cocktails are great by the way :)

Room Tip: Being couples we had a one bed garden villa each! If a family I would opt for the private villas wit...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
Qunci Villas Hotel
#10 of 29 in Senggigi
The Oberoi, Lombok
The Oberoi, Lombok
#2 of 3 in Tanjung

Been to Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!