“Great but could be greater.”

Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
melbourne australia
“Great but could be greater.”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed 5 nights in this tranquil oasis - gardens lush and full of sculptures-infinity pool lovely with plenty of sunlounges for everyone. Staff friendly, though I find it annoying being asked how your food or drink was all the time. The food was more homestyle than restaurant fare and was overpriced for what you got. Breakfast was a bit ho-hum and for a resort of this calibre, I would expect REAL fruit juice, not cordial style juice to be served. The coffee was so strong, I only had it once. The bed was super comfortable, as were the huge pillows. Our 2 outside doors had centimetre cracks in them, once closed, and I was concerned about insects entering the room, especially at night - but we had mozzie coils provided and they seemed to do the trick.We spent an afternoon up at the spa resort, swimming in their deserted pool and looking around the grounds - very tranquil. I felt their spa treatments were overpriced, and we waited till we returned to our Bali hotel to indulge in one at less than half the price. If you arrive at Lombok by boat, make sure you have organised to be picked up by the resort or a taxi, as the cowboys running the show at Telek Kode will rip you off, providing transport for the half hour drive at 3 times the actual fare. Overall, it was a very relaxing spot and the "no children" policy was much appreciated, to create the perfect ambience for a restful holiday.

Room Tip: We had the Royal Suite which was up a long flight of stairs, so bare this in mind when booking. Bein...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LovelyLombok, General Manager at Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Jiffs

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us in Puri Mas and thank you for the high ranking, even though there were a couple of things you feel we could improve upon.

As we want to do the best for our clients, your comments are very well received, both positive and negative.

Regarding the orange juice - actually it is fresh juice - but not freshly squeezed. We import this juice from Bali, it is not made a la minute as we do our local juices such as pineapple, water melon and so on. I agree with you that the orange juice could be better and we are working on trying to find an alternative supplier for this item.

Our coffee is Lombok Coffee - but perhaps our staff were a little heavy handed as the Sasak people do enjoy a very dark thick blend! It is a Robusta coffee - therefore if any guests reading this are worried they may not be able to enjoy a great coffee for your information the coffee at breakfast coffee is Lombok Coffee, however should you wish to enjoy a cappuccino or espresso we also have machine coffee available for purchase.

The Spa treatments you commented were over priced, however we do research how other hotels are pricing and in Lombok are more than comparable. We feel we do need to point out that Puri Mas has the only totally dedicated spa resort on the island with very highly trained staff and high quality products. Our relaxing and most popular massage is well priced at Rp. 245,000 net. and our in house clients receive a 10% discount on all treatments.
We believe we offer excellent value in our Spa, given the venue and quality of service and products we offer - it is a pity you missed out on the wonderful experience so many of our guests enjoy.

Thank you also for the useful information you have offered to readers regarding drivers waiting at the different harbours.

TRANSFERS - In order to help our guests Puri Mas arranges airport and harbour transfers for the majority of our clients. It is often the easiest and cheapest way unless you are very experienced in bargaining and are already aware of the going rates. Just ask us to do this for you when you confirm your reservation.

Again our sincere thanks for your helpful comments. We hope to enjoy your company again in Puri Mas.

Best wishes

Sara Sanders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Asia, Peru
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We arranged this little holiday for our brother and his new wife as a treat to the end of their Bali honeymoon, but we joined them! And No they did not mind at all :)

Well this little gem is worth the hour travel from the airport as just the journey to the hotel makes you feel you have escaped the real world and on your way to relaxation! Advise you have the hotel pick you up!

We opted for one of the garden villas which were lovely and quaint with a garden bathroom! Felt very close to nature having a shower I can tell you! Bit strange using the loo but no one could see over the wall.....maybe hear you hahaha

The rooms are simple but adequate! Our first night was not great because of the aircon was real noisy, however the next morning they asked how we slept and we just mentioned not that good, they asked why? Well rest is history as within a couple of hours a new aircon was in place and we had peaceful sleeps from there on in!

The setting is perfect for this boutique hotel! My hubby and I are well travelled in Asia and I can honestly say the best so far! We all loved it! The staff are very friendly even the gardners have a 'good morning' for you.

The gardens are lovely and colourful and kept so tidy. The pool is nice and quiet! But the beach is just gorgeous and uncommercial, just hope it stays that way and the big resorts keep away.

All four of us only had one criticism and that was the breakfast and snacks! Honestly the brekki is a little poor and could show abit of imagination with some homemade touches! Like fresh musili with nuts and dried fruits to sprinkle on! With the different cultures that visit here more variety would be good. Like cheese & hams nice fresh breads to slice up, another choice of yogurt & more variety of eggs. With all the lovely fruits could have a juicer on board too. We were advised from other friends who had stayed here before not to really bother with dining in so we didn't although we did do lunch one day and we have had better! It's almost there just needs a little more attention.

So overall though we all loved the surroundings, the peacefulness and the beauty! The peddlers on the beach are actually not a nuisance really as when you say no there is no pressure like in Europe, they just smile and move on! And in fact we were happy to sit and chat to them sometimes as they were harmless and nice people just making a living! We brought a various selection of sarongs and pearls, .just haggle with them and you can always get a good price!

Shall we come back? Oh yes I am planning it already, even if the brekki is not that great I can live with it! The cocktails are great by the way :)

Room Tip: Being couples we had a one bed garden villa each! If a family I would opt for the private villas wit...
Houston, Texas, USA
Reviewed September 22, 2012

This IS how other high class hotel should look up to. The level of service and staff attitude should be a hallmark for a 4-star hotel other international hotels should emulate. Hotel is apparently opulence as a palace fit for a sultan in the 1800. No one in this 348 review had ever mentioned that the resort had an Art Gallery that offers souvenir Indonesian items such as from wayan puppets, southsea Lombok pearls, sarongs, carvings, and special artifacts from Indonesia. A person staying in the Royal king suite said it is the best in the whole world whereas another stay in the tiny dingy cozy budget say it is not worth to stay in the hotel. So the end result is that this lead to the virtual tourist reader confused thinking that all rooms are of the same quality.

Most of the reviews here did not mention what type of room they are staying and give their opinions and threfore gave confusions to the readers as to the quality of the stay.

I stayed in room #1 which is the Queen bed sea view. It is the closet cottage to the beach and in front of this room #1 is the dinning/breakfast place. Be prepare to ware eyeplug (Alas, I did not bring any) because you definitely would not get ANY sleep at all at night. The insect that sound like cricket were noisy all night long until 5 am in the morning. For two nights of 13 Sept and 14 Sept 2012 I was kept awake. The criket sound was much louder than the ocean wave (no kidding). I did not mention this to the management fear of this eco political correctness of “killing” insect by spraying with insecticide…… some people might enjoy the loud cricket lullaby adding charm singing them to sleep. Other than this, everything was almost perfect in this resort.

The front reception staff will call a taxi to Sengiggi (minimum payment Rp15,000). Plenty (2 to 5) of Bluebird brand blue metered taxis on the main street to return to the resort even at 1am.

I had the misfortune of booking a tour from the Lombok international airport exit gate where they charged me $200 to the Gili island. They dumped me at the popular beach side Gili Trawangan - dead center west of the island. Yes there were some tropical coral fishes but all the coral were dead... whitish in color. Before the driver of this tour agency leave the hotel gate, 3 security guard of the Purimas hotel demanded that the driver produce his driver license to make a photocopy. This is so that the hotel will know who take the hotel guest out. I was amazed by this gesture for the safety of the hotel guests and like what they are doing. They also have two dogs at the front entrances whom my wife like.

The staffs were trained to say hi or hello whenever they see you. However, the sweepers with the garden broom on three occasions (3 different people) did not do so, smile or make eye contact. They have not been trained yet (in time they will).

I met the owner Marcel at the spa resort and he is very friendly. Asking me how was my stay and have genuine concern if my need is attended to. Again, not many hotels in this world you will find this kind of warm and attentiveness from an owner.

Taxi ride to Sengiggi varies from Rp120,000 to Rp180,000 depending where you stop along the main street of Senggigi. One great shopping place for cheap and quality Lombok handicraft is the store just in front of the “Square” restaurant. You can spent at least half hour browsing in the store. You can get Sasak tripe handmade cloth 2 to 3 times cheaper than going to the Sukarara weaving village here in the store..... diverge from this review, I do not recommend to go to the traditional house (Rumah Adat) for the tourist attraction site... there is no attraction what so ever (that is why it is not even listed on Tripadvisor as a tourist attraction).... in fact, it is of the opposite.. distraction.... a waste of time and energy to travel 2 hours to see some place you wish you have not gone there.

I read all 348 reviews here (I have more time than normal people). An old posting saying that “if you stay longer than 3 days a ride to the airport is included” This is no longer true.. Also, another old postings saying rental of snookling mask, fins were free. This is also not true any more.

Westeners valued orange juice at breakfast time and those come in the carton box imported from Australia or South Africa may suffice in this part of the world. However, Indonesian notion of orange juice is that from a bottle of orange syrup diluted with water. So, you will find un-acceptable "orange juice" during your breakfast buffet - so be forewarn. The guests in PuriMas are almost 99% foreigner and so I hope the manager will consider what is best for business.

Since I make reservation directly thru the hotel website homepage, I had to pay the first night stay in full at the time of booking, ir-regardless whether I arrived or not. You may get a refund if you cancel the reservation following the hotels regulation (very reasonable). At checkout, the front desk staff insisted that I pay for the two nights stay. I told him the PuriMas hotel policy is that the first night is pre-paid and is accounted for. I had to take my laptop out and logon to my email and show the receipt acknowledgement email from PuriMas to convice him. He later apologized. Obviously, not every staff knows the rules.

I stayed on the night of 11 and 12 Sept booking thru Agoda staying at room #4. The Agoda experience is something else and you will read it on the Agoda.com review page.

Room Tip: Cozy budget is a small room that barely enough room for you to walk. So, pay a little bit more and...
2 Thank baketown89
Jakarta, Jakarta Raya, Indonesia
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My wife and I went to a honeymoon trip on Puri Mas from Sept. 18 to Sept 21. Long story short, the stay far exceeded our expectations as the hotel staffs seemed to really strive to make our stay as pleasant as possible.

Upon our arrival on Tuesday, we were greeted by none other than the hotel's general manager herself, Ibu Sara Sanders. All the staffs in the hotel were very friendly and really go that extra mile in trying to make Puri Mas your home away from home.

We stayed in the Jacuzzi Studio and it was perfect. The staffs scattered some flowers on our bed and in the bathtub and my wife was all smiles when she saw them.

The hotel itself was nothing short of majestic, even if it's not exactly a huge hotel. It was very clean, well-maintained, and there were just trees and plants everywhere.

Staying in Puri Mas will truly make you fall head over heels in love with nature, with Lombok, and with Indonesia.

On Tuesday evening, the hotel opened its presidential villa for a small cocktail party where guests can hang out with each other and get to know the hotel staffs a little bit better. Then, at night, there was a BBQ party on the restaurant right on the beach, and it was just beautiful.

There were two traditional dance shows and a stick fighting performed by the hotel staffs during the BBQ party, and then the hotel owner himself, Pak Marcel de Rijk, invited us all to join him at the dance floor. It was really a good time.

The hotel also provided various tour packages around Lombok. As it was our first time to the island, this was very helpful. We booked a tour to the Monkey Forrest and also a snorkeling trips to the Gilis, and the hotel pretty much makes sure that the tours was hassle-free for us. We can just sit back and really enjoy sightseeing around Lombok.

Special thanks for our driver Pak Amin, massage lady Mbak Mei, receptionist Mas Made, and just everyone at Puri Mas for making our honeymoon trip a truly unforgettable experience.

We are really looking forward to stay in Lombok again sometime in the near future.

Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 18, 2012

It seems that more and more people seek the intimacy of boutique bungalow accommodation to the large edifices of the traditional hotel which has resulted in the rapid growth of such establishments especially in Asia.
Puri Mas is a fine example: wonderful landscaping, small scale, infinity pool, emphasis on personal staff, and uniquely, perhaps, an almost duplicated sister facility a kilometer away with pool, bar, dining and wonderful grounds with exotic wildlife but in addition a sophisticated spa set-up. If I have any note of disappointment, it is that the self-service breakfast on offer is below par for such an establishment. In addition it should be pointed out that there are no restaurants nor bars nearby, thus necessitating a (cheap) taxi ride into Senggigi town. Sand on the attached beach is volcanic in colour, rather than powder yellow.
Note also children under 12 not accepted for safety reasons, a plus of course for some guests.

1 Thank jeremyburtonReading
toronto
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I came to this beautiful resort after a week of stifling humidity and huge crowds in Ubud (Bali). Puri Mas was a dream: quiet, full or flowers, beautiful cottages, wonderful staff, and good food. The beach resort has a great infinity pool and you can have a massage in a curtained-off space just beside the pool when you're in the mood. You can have a drink and watch the sunset from the pool or from a table near the restaurant. The view is extraordinary. Normally you can't see Bali during the day. As the sun goes down, however, the volcano that is the highest point in Bali rises up like a spectre from the sea. It's an amazing sight.

I went over to the spa part of the resort one day, just for a change. It's inland rather than being on the beach, but it's almost as cool and equally beautifully laid out. Because there are only three cottages on the spa property, it's even quieter than the beach hotel, so I moved on the spur of the moment. It was wonderul. I opted for a bigger cottage with an outdoor shower, which was fabulous and I'd never experienced before, and the beautiful pool was right at my front door.

I really loved my stay. The accommodation was very comfortable and the staff was terrific. The only small thing for me was that as a vegan I was hard-pressed to find many options on the menu. However, the gado gado that I ate most days was superb.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We were here earlier this year and my apology that this review came a little late. But despite time, this is one resort which my friends still talk about. It is a fantastic experience to be here. The place is clean and well managed by excellent staff. The rooms were spacious and it is nice to just sit outside the hut and enjoy a nice drink.

What we didnt expect was to meet the owner of the place. He is so friendly and that really made our day. We were also invited to his place when we met him again at the spa resort the next day. This is definitely a place to go. A perfect getaway. Did I mention there is an infinity pool and the great sea view when having breakfast..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
Qunci Villas Hotel
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
#10 of 30 in Senggigi
The Chandi Boutique Resort & Spa

Been to Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!