“Great hotel but some sad feeling”

Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
Surabaya, Jawa Timur, Indonesia
“Great hotel but some sad feeling”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I might be over expected to this hotel since it is the best of trip advisor. For view and hotel, I am no doubt, it is good and stunning. But then I feel annoy of something which make me sad. First, since I wanna spoiled myself and celebrate my life, I wanna do and request things that I might happy. But then I got implisit answer that it is too expensive to me and in other word, I might be can not afford that. Even when I wanna order things, I got an answer that seems answer to me that it is too expensive for me. Is this hotel only for specific people? Please don't jugde the book by its cover :( The other thing that annoy me, this hotel do not have emergency light. Because i have an experience while I am in the bathroom, suddenly black out electricity. It is fine if you have black out electricity. because it is something that sometimes we can not predict before. But I expect for such kind of this big hotel, at least you give emergency light for each room. Unless if I stay in less star hotel as you. The other last thing that sad me is you only give a table to read, but you do not give the reading light in it. Is the table only for accessoris? It also might be help if you give a room map with each room name so people can imagine where they will be stay and if possible the room condition. Because for instance, while I got missed booked as cozy room from Jacuzzi room - I do not know who made the mistake of the name of room sound similar between cozy or jacuzzi - but then I got nice suite room which also nice help from the people of your hotel- then I realize, it will be much help, if we know where we gonna be stay. It will be so much help if in the map you also describe the condition of the room. For example you stated that some room will be in the upstair and the bathroom is in the downstair. It might be difficult for me to choose to stay in this hotel again for my next trip. But then keep the good work and I hope some improvement in it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tristi-Dian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
All over the place
Reviewed May 21, 2012

First to realise is that this hotel has a sister hotel called the Puri Mas Spa, so be careful which one you book, the Spa is located a few KM up the road and is also home to the owner with several cottages in the compound. There is some work being done there at the moment on adjoining plots which makes it noisy as does the dog barking. However - the hotel on the sea is wonderful. Yes it has a pool which is comfortable and possiblity to hire snorkling equipment. Yes it has a nice restaurant with overpriced food, but it is nice and romantic. The rooms are good size but no TV. There is Wifi available however. The bathroom is located outside which is wonderful until you need to loo and realise your neighbour is also there, uncomfortable few moments. Take bug spray. It is a wonderful hotel in all respects otherwise. Hire a moped and enjoy the island, waterfalls to yourselves. Now for the spa - the treatments are amazing, just what you were imagining all the time, try them out for yourselves and dont forget the plunge pool afterwards. Location wise there is nothing around within walking distance so forget it, but cabs are plentyful so hire one into town or otherwise is good. Also general tip, the hotel charge alot for a car to the airport, a cab cost us half as much as was excellent. Something to consider.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littledinosaur
Singapore
Reviewed May 19, 2012

The Puri Mas is certainly one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever seen. The staff welcomed us warmly and were very friendly and helpful throughout our stay. Every room is individually styled with local handicrafts, The rooms are nice and cosy. The outdoor shower is wonderful. The restaurant has an incredibly romantic setting and the food is great!
Senggigi is just five minutes away by cab and the staff is very helpful with organizing everything. The stay in the idyllic spa was really relaxing and the massage was ok, even though there is possibility for improvement there.
I travelled there with my 3 teenage daughters and two of their friends. The tranquil and relaxing atmosphere of the place was just the right thing after some school stress. One of the girls had some stomach problems and the hotel kitchen was very accomodating with us.
The best thing was our late check out, as the plane for Singapore left in the evening we were allowed to use one of the beautiful private villas for the day, that felt incredible!

Room Tip: Try to get one of the rooms further away from the road, which tends to be noisy during the early mor...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Charlotte C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Where to start?? My husband and I originally decided to book our stay at Puri Mas after meeting Sara the GM at the Travel Expo in Sydney. Lombok was never a choice we had considered but it was a deal too good to pass up and Sara was great. Immediately the communication began with emails from both Sara and her staff helping us to plan our itinerary. We were given recommendations for hotels in Bali to stay at before boarding our connecting flight to Lombok. Sara was incredibly helpful and made the trip totally carefree. Even organised an english speaking guide to drive us around Bali all day for only $40 US dollars!! Wayan the driver was a very pleasant young man and we would definitely recommend his services. Connecting flights and return airport transfers were also taken care of. Our private transfer driver met us at the airport in a modern airconditioned vehicle and though his english was limited, he was very well presented and courteous.
As for the resort, we seriously could not fault it. What a haven!! We stayed in room 18 which is filled with beautiful pieces of Balinese jarrah furniture. A queen sized 4 poster bed complete with mosquito net and a beautiful outdoor bathroom. The gardens are spectacular and perfectly manicured. Gardeners constantly busy pruning, weeding & sweeping. It's immaculate. The resort was built 25 years ago and is truly a credit to the owner Marcel. Exceptionally well maintained. The restaurant is literally beachfront with many a perfect sunset to enjoy whilst kicking back enjoying a pre dinner cocktail. I think the most expensive cocktail was $6 US. Highly recommend trying the local spirit Arak. An Arak Attack cocktail will set you back around $3. Not sure what the alcohol content is but it's potent and far too easy to drink. The meals are delicious and again surprisingly inexpensive.The decision was never easy given the extensive choices. Buffet breakfast was a great start to the day with a selection of fresh fruits & juices, yoghurt, cereals, pastries and traditional hot breakfasts complete with an ocean view. Staff are "genuinely" friendly and nothing was ever too much effort.
The infinity pool is a a great place to spend your day lounging around on a sun bed soaking up the rays, losing yourself in a good book or bartering with the local beach sellers. Indulge in a freshly squeezed juice from the pool bar...Banana, Pineapple & Papaya...yum!!
You also have access to the Puri Mas Spa Resort with a free courtesy bus that will transport you to and fro. This resort is like entering a magical story book and a must to see. Make a reservation for a romantic private dinner for 2 in a candle lit pavillion. You wont be disappointed!!
All in all, a 5 star experience without the 5 star price tag for some R & R. Our only regret...that we didn't stay longer.
Thanks once again Sara & team for a memorable holiday...we'll be back :)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MarkandChonnie
LovelyLombok, General Manager at Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear MarkandChonnie

We cannot thank you both enough for making the choice to stay with Puri Mas, and for supporting our Resort by making such a helpful and enthusiastic review on TripAdvisor.

I will pass on your comments to all of the Puri Mas Staff whom I know will sincerely appreciate the time you have taken to make this review, and the wonderful things you have written about their service.

We all hope you will be able to join us again in the future.

Thank you so much from everyone here in Puri Mas.

Sara
Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed May 11, 2012

We had an amazing 5 night stay at the Puri Mas beginning of March.
Traveling with our kids (12 & 13) we had a very warm welcome and were treated wonderfully.
The rooms were nice and clean , My husband and I shared a littel hut that had the bathroom outside , just loved the outdoor shower, how great is that!
The food was outstanding executive chef Mr. Ridwan and his team did such a great job. Make sure you try the " Reis Tafel " . It needs to be ordered a day ahead, guarenteed no disappointment !
The grounds were just manicured, I loved the staues and carvings.
We did a few day trips that were organized by Panorama Tours ask for Alan (Super Alan on facebook) a very nice guide.
Also make sure to set a day aside or at least enough time to do one Spa treatment, located only minutes away from the Puri Mas. It was so nice and relaxing!!!
The only thing that did not go as planed was the diving excursions the water was just too rough . The snokeling / diving must be outstanding make sure you ask Dale for advice. For that we just have to go back, hopefully soon.
Marcel the owner of Puri Mas can be seen on a daily base taking the time to chat with his visitors . ( If you like dancing he even teaches lesson's , that would be lost on me... )

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Hello to Susanne 101 all the way to Canada from Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa in sunny Lombok.

It is great to see your helpful and supportive review on TripAdvisor. We are all thrilled that you and your family had such a great time here in our Resort and on the island.

We are not sure what happened with the weather during your stay, but as you said, it is now a great excuse to come back and enjoy the snorkeling in and around the island which is fantastic.

Thank you for recommending our special romantic dinner Rijsttafel I will make sure Chef Ridwan reads your great comments!

We look forward to meeting you all again.

Sara and friends in Puri Mas
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 6, 2012

Our 6 days at Puri Mas was like a little slice of heaven. The hotel was excellent in every way - the staff were lovely, the room was great and the food was superb! What more could you ask for? Incredible scenery - well you got that every minute! Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: The new rooms were awesome - they were very private.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Fiona H
Dear Fiona

From all of us here in Puri Mas thank you very much for taking the time to write a review about our resort on TripAdvisor.

We are very happy you enjoyed your time with us, and hope you will visit us again some time in the future.

Sara
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 3, 2012

First time visiting Lombok and we could not have chosen a better place to stay. We were upgraded to a spa studio so we could have an extra bed for our 16 year old. The room was huge and the studio included a plunge pool and huge bath. There was also a water cooler which was a real bonus. Staff were very friendly and very helpful, nothing was too much trouble. Special thanks to Sara and Dale who helped organise a day snorkelling and a special birthday cake for me. The restaurant has a large menu as well as offering special meals and the chef is happy to cook for your taste. One night I saw him purchasing a sqid which one of the locals had just caught and he prepared it for someones dinner. Complimentary breakfast was very good, with a selection of fresh fruit, eggs, noodles, sausages etc. The location of Puri Mas is great, close to Sengiggi and it was
far enough away from the roosters, who disturb your sleep. The Puri Mas spa resort is a few
minutes drive away and offers wonderful relaxing massage and treatments. Marcel, the owner of
Puri Mas lives there and is a very friendly man who goes out of his way to talk to his guests. He
also does a wonderful job caring for his animals, which he has rescued from various markets and
other places.
We would very happily return to Puri Mas as we had such a wonderful time there. Just one negative which is not related to the hotel directly is the rubbish in the sea and on the beach. Snorkelling is best done near the Gillis, a short boat trip away.. Hopefully the Government realises the importance of tourism and does something about rubbish collection.
Can't wait to visit Puri Mas again......maybe September. Adrian, Sharon and Georgie

Room Tip: Spa suites are huge and very quiet, with plunge pool, bath, table-chairs and sunbeds. great if you l...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Hello to you and your family!

It was great fun to have you with us in Puri Mas, and we are very glad you enjoyed our company too.

Thank you so much for writing such a positive and informative review for our Resort.

We hope that visitors to TripAdvisor find the information helpful in making their decision as to where they should stay in Lombok.

We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us. It makes a world of difference to our performance when we receive feedback from our guests, positive or negative, as it can only help us improve - we really appreciate the great things you had to say about our Resort and Staff.

Looking forward to your next visit.

Sara and everyone in Puri Mas
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
Qunci Villas Hotel
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
#11 of 30 in Senggigi
The Chandi Boutique Resort & Spa

Been to Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!