“Hiking and Honeymooning”
Review of Qunci Villas Hotel

Qunci Villas Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
Reviewed June 17, 2009

After 7 days of paradise in Bali, the day after our wedding we ventured over to Lombok to hike Rinjani. Our stay on the Island was majestic. After the grueling hike we spent most of our time relaxing at the pool letting our legs recover. The staff at Qunci upon finding out it was our honeymoon surprised us with candles and flowers in our room and a special Indonesian Wedding dinner by candlelight on the beach. It was a beautiful, quiet, intimate escape. Just a 40 minute flight from Bali, you can immerse yourself in a totally different vibe surrounding yourself in the untouched, natural, beauty of the Island and the elegance of Qunci. Reserve Ocean View #8 - the bst view of the bunch!

Reviewed June 2, 2009

The Qunci Pool Villas is without a doubt, my favorite hotel in the world. In fact, whether I'm staying at a Ritz Carlton or a Marriott, I can't help but to compare all other hotels to this one. In the end, I have yet to experience anyplace that is as wonderful as this one.

I spent the second half of my honeymoon here as I had been advised that Lombok is a lot like what Bali used to be (I stayed for the first part in Bali). When we arrived, we were taken to the older section of the hotel, but after some initial concerns, moved over to the newer Pool Villas. This made a huge difference. The new side is amazing. We stayed in a first floor villa with an outdoor shower and a view of the Indian Ocean that was only steps away from the pool. The resort itself is gorgeous and incredibly affordable for all the luxury that you experience there.

We spent the majority of our time outside, either on our porch, at the pool or beach, or at one of the outdoor eating spaces. Between the sounds of the waves or the prayer calls from a nearby mosque, I found myself lulled into such a calming and relaxing state of mind from the moment I arrived. The food at the hotel was so tasty and fresh. Everything from the seafood to the desserts were first rate and the wait staff seemed to remember every detail of our orders so they knew what we would want without even having to ask.

The staff was amazing and went out their way to make us comfortable. Whether it was making small talk about US politics (Indonesians are quite excited about Barack Obama) or just making sure that our drinks were never empty, the staff here was top notch.

I can't say enough about this hotel. It was the trip of a lifetime and I would highly recommend it to anyone who visits southeast Asia. And with prices this good, you cannot beat it!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank schavia
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Went to Qunci Pool Villa on 28th May 2009. Reach in the evening. Given room 31. Check-in is very smooth and prompt. Staff very observant and friendly. Went to Happy Cafe at Senggigi for dinner with the owner himself. Taxi that send us to Senggigi had their meter on. Charge from Qunci to Happy will be ard US1. Damn cheap. Had very delicious dinner and countless cocktail :-)

In-house brekkie at 8am sharp. Off to the infinity pool. It was heaven!! But again the touters are a bit of disturbance but they're harmless. Had lovely food and cocktails again by the pool. The weather is really hot so it's the best time to TAN TAN TAN!!!! 4pm onwards are Happy Hour. Again cocktails and more cocktails!!

Went to the spa. We paid bout UD50 for a 2 hr spa.DAMN WORTH EVERY SINGLE DOLLARS!!! It was heaven.. They're damn good. It's cool.. Off to Happy for dinner and then to Marina for some party.. Again cocktails and cocktails. End the night at discotheque 69. Loud dark place with many local but i got no issue mingling with them as i speak their language.

I will say this is 1 of the best place that i've been to so far in my life. The experience is once in a lifetime and trust me, NOW is the right time to explore that gem before Lombok become the next Bali.

Cheers!!!

Reviewed May 15, 2009

I was there with my partner for six days and these were the things I'd like to share

Pros
- Amazing service. The staff are uber friendly and try to fulfill every single request.
- Great view. Unparalleled views of the ocean.
- Food! Food! Food! I personally loved most of the food on the menu. I would like to recommend the grilled snapper with prawn, and the steaks. As for drinks, we had their local beer (Bintang) most of the time, and their happy hours are from 4 to 7pm.

Cons
- Peddlers. They're like vultures looking to make direct eye contact with their prey and pounce on them with their handmade goods. Not something I'd like while relaxing by the beach.
- Boredom. If like me, you are one who require activities to fill your time, you will find there is almost nothing to do there. There's an internet cafe at the room behind the reception, no shop to buy things like snacks or a magazine, no gym, no television in the room. I was bored out of my mind on the fourth day. Be prepared to relax by the pool and do nothing else.
- Morning Prayers. Everyday, at approximately 4:30 to 5am, the religious would start chanting. I was all right with it at first, thinking it adds to the flavor of the trip, but it started to annoy me after a few days.

Neutral
- Rooms. I stayed in a garden villa. The entrance to our second floor accommodation was situated round the back of the building which was a set of narrow steps. A set of lights help to illuminate the them in the dark but they promptly blew up a few days into our trip. Thanks to their quick service, the staff managed to fix it within an hour. The room felt quite cosy and the bed was very big and comfortable. Be prepared to encounter bugs lurking around your room. One night I found that I shared my bed with my partner and a cockroach.

A few little niggles here and there, but honestly, overall a very lovely place.

1  Thank gabrielang
Reviewed May 15, 2009

We spent four days at Quinci villas and loved it. The staff and the food were top notch. The hotel picked us up at the airport and drove us to the hotel in 30 minutes, then we checked in and got our private villa, Quayla, with our own pool. The villa was furnished very stylish with Indonesian art craft and paintings, but the bathroom was IT. Excellent decorated with the shower under the sky next to some great art. Lots of flowers, fresh towels, and everything was always nice and clean. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner at the hotel everyday, except for a one day trip to the fantastic Gili Meno island, and loved the food, generally we don´t eat at the same place when we travel to new destinations but this was IT. We still dream of the breakfast and the chicken Satay in the cool breeze from the ocean and the beautiful views. Don´t miss to enjoy a drink while watching the most beautiful sunset. We must give our best regards to the excellent staff, always helpful and very service minded. We always say that we want to see new places, but this place we really want to revisit someday.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Skrutten04
Reviewed May 14, 2009

The service was a little slack but nothing to worry about.

The floors in the room felt dirty but it was a combination of condensation from opening the doors after having the a/c on and the bug spray they put on the floors. They really need to work out a better way to get rid of the bugs. The bugs weren't a problem but the icky floor wasn't nice. Watch out if you have crawling babies!

The food was nice, not cheap but not too pricey. The restaurant locations at both hotels (2 doors down the beach from each other) are beautiful and with a western aspect the sunsets are amazing.

Room 8 and 9 are the best rooms and cost nothing extra. 9 is ground floor so a little less private but great access to and from the pool and beach. Imagine waking up in the morning, opening the sliding doors, walking about 50m to have a wake up dip in the Lombok Straits while watch the sun hit Gunung Agung over on Bali then walking back to your room for a shower and breakfast on the front verandah....I wish I could start every day this way!

Also, do yourself a favour and go for a 2-3 hr package at the Spa in the Pool Villas property 2 doors down the beach. Its not as cheap as the beach massage but the beach massage is not worth the Rp70,000 (US$7). Splurge on a 2hr package for about US$50 and you will enjoy it so much more!

Oh yeah, there is a small shop that rents motorbikes across the road from the hotel. Nice guys and about Rp50,000 per day (easy to knock them down if you take if for a few days).

1  Thank gilbertenstein
Reviewed May 13, 2009

We chose this hotel because of its value and ranking on Trip Advisor. I sent an email with some questions to the email address on their official website with my flight details but no reply UNTIL I switched on my blackberry in a taxi from the airport to the hotel and realised they replied to my email when I am on the plane saying a driver will be waiting for us at the airport! Not only that, out of my list of questions, they only answered on the airport transfer. I find that an annoying trait in anyone especially on the service side - choosing the question(s) they want to answer and not reading the whole email.

When we got to the hotel, we didn't feel special at all. I felt like we were just another couple coming to their hotel for a romantic long weekend/honeymoon. We didn't even bring up the matter about the email and to my surprise, they didn't even bring it up! Either the driver never showed up at the airport or realised it was their mistake.

We were hoping to get Villa 8 because we read it has the best view, wrote to them in the same email and no reply. However, we did get the 2nd best which is Villa 9. We were pleased with the villa though we wonder why is it so difficult for the hotel to invest in a safe for only 20 villas! I felt the floor barefooted. YUCKS! It felt like there was a film of 'stuff' coating the whole floor. We only realised it after that the housekeeping staff spray the floor with insect repellent because of the ants crawling all over the villa - not sure if they do this with other villas too.

After we settled in, we decided to have dinner. I was ready to relax. Recovering from food poisoning from a previous trip, I struggled to find a light meal on the menu which was not oily, fried and raw. I settled on a local dish called Ayam Sereh. And to my absolute horror (again!), the chicken was undercooked, almost raw! I nearly fainted. The waiter was apologetic and brought out the same dish but this time cooked. I lost my appetite before it arrived though.

The pool area is nice, small but cosy and the only dislike I have is that BABIES should be banned from the villa! Screaming babies (happy or not) shouldn't be allowed to be in the same area as people who try to relax by the pool. They should have a rule on this like Club Med and other hotels. This place should be a place to make babies not bring them. Arrgh!

And NEVER ask for the outside massage ladies on the beach to give you a massage! They lie (we wanted 2 hours and they had the nerve to tell us it is over when it is only 1 and 1/2 hours!) and all they do is stroke your body. We realise that Lombok people has no sense of time with other incidents that are similar EXCEPT the hotel spa service.

Food selection/quality is average (Singapore price so not cheaper), cutlery/plateware/glassware are sometimes still wet from the dishwasher and I have a feeling the head chef is local because if he was a Westerner/Expat, he/she would go out and check/chat with guests, no?

The main reason we enjoyed our trip is the fact Lombok is NOT Bali. More genuine smiles and less aggressive people, more laid back atmosphere. and much more of a natural beauty than it is man-made. Plus, the hotel crowd is a lot more civilised than most.

2  Thank Bazrina
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa
#2 of 3 in Tanjung
The Lombok Lodge
The Lombok Lodge
#1 of 3 in Tanjung

Been to Qunci Villas Hotel? Share your experiences!