“Amazing honeymoon stay”

Qunci Villas Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
“Amazing honeymoon stay”
Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

WOW! Probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in - absolutely amazing in every single way. We spent 6 nights at Qunci Villas in pool a villa as part of our honeymoon around Indonesia. It was our favourite hotel out if all we stayed at due to the resort being beautiful, incredible food in every single restaurant (some of the most consistently good food we have ever eaten) and the staff could not do enough for us. The whole set up is perfect and we would recommend the place to anybody both young or old. The pools were fantastic as was the spa and we also did an Indonesian cooking course which was expertly delivered. Overall a fabulous stay - thank you to all staff that played their part. Hopefully one day we will return.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Scott_Lombok, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear mattbethtravels,

*WOW! Probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in *

Thank you so much for your special compliment!..and we also hope that you will return again in the future.

Happy Travels!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (589)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Rooms:- It had been an excellent stay with great vIllas offering scenic beauty. The sound of waves added to our excitement.

Staffs:- The staffs made sure that our stay was very comfortable. All the staffs right from the front desk to the housekeeping one were very humble and extremely helpful.

Food:- I am yet to find a place where I could get a better delicacies than that offered in this hotel. Whatever we tried were excellent.

Location:- Serene location, 10 mins from Sengiggi market - An ideal place for couple on a relaxing / honeymoon trip.

Activities:- Not much activities around; one can get private boats for Gili Islands (a must visit place).

Room Tip: Ocean view & Partial ocean view villas are the best
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank riteshsingh01
Dear riteshsingh01,

*It's been 4 months since we visited Lombok but the memories of Qunci Villas are still afresh. *

That is sweet! Thanks!

Hope you can make it back to see us again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2014

Delayed review from March 2014.

The hotel is a nice place and the location itself is fantastic hence I have given it a 4* - a nice place to stay for a short period of time but honestly the service isn't up to scratch. My review contains a lot of details about the problems I had there although, they were rectified at the end of our stay but I think the point of tripadvisor is to say everything so here we go!

Having just got engaged back in Ubud, coming to Qunci was a little disappointing at first. Due to lack of availability we had booked 2 nights in a normal room overlooking the beach, and then 3 nights in a one bedroom villa.

When we arrived our room was unfortunately not clean, there was a small ant colony in the room and the bed sheets were dirty. We called for house keeping and they arrived 30 minutes later. I am very prone to bites and because I didn't see any repellent in the room asked for some yet it was not given because we were told that mosquito repellent had already been sprayed in the room. The next day the staff actually saw my bites and realised there was an issue so I was given some special oil from the spa and the room was cleaned, removed of flowers and I was given insect repellent which really helped - the issue was it took my bites to swell up for them to realise.

A couple of things with regards to dining:
First thing is that the staff are so rude at each of the restaurants! We were ignored many a time, told rudely about booking beach tables, there was an issue with large insects at dinner one evening (which I understand as Lombok is tropical but this was to a point where the staff ran out of the restaurant and did not help!), and at breakfast you order your food a la carte essentially - I am vegetarian and one day only half of my order items arrived, when questioned about it the waitress was so rude she got annoyed that I asked her and ran back into the kitchen. When she returned she explained they were out of what I ordered (2 vegetable items)- I completely understand that Lombok is a remote place and sometimes it is hard to source everything but sheer courtesy should tell your guests that we are out of this so please order something else? Considering how expensive Qunci is I found this unacceptable!

Street sellers on the beach - it is like walking down a busy market. This honestly made us not walk this beautiful beach, and when we sat by the pool instead, the street sellers shout at you from the beach. Some may think this is harmless, but once you stay there you will understand. I have visited many places with street sellers before but not to this extent, not where your days can be ruined by people hassling you, especially when coming here for a peaceful holiday.

There must have been a storm the week before we arrived so a large tree had fallen down, I have to say this tree was removed very quickly, but at the same time new decking was being built. Our first night - this building work was going on till 10pm - utterly ridiculous! Having just come from a 5 star property in Bali - where we were informed of building work when we arrived, this was unacceptable! The noise was horrible at that time of night!

A couple of days into our stay I was so dissapointed that we spoke to the manager and things were rectified but the first few days here were just disheartening... you pay so much for a lovely holiday and it is a shame that it takes a complaint to change things.

Lombok itself is stunning, take a trip to the quieter Gili islands where you can! We went diving on Gili T & Gili Meno and they are beautiful!

If you go into Sengiggi then try Asmara Restaurant & Bar - great food!

Room Tip: Choose a villa at the back of the hotel near reception if you want something quiet - some of the vil...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Explorer_SH
Dear Explorer_SH,

We are all glad that you enjoyed Lombok (*Lombok is stunning *) and we hope to see you back on our idyllic island again soon.

That being said, as you say *My review contains a lot of details about the problems I had there although, they were rectified at the end of our stay but I think the point of tripadvisor is to say everything so here we go! * -

Yes, your comments will be looked into and rectified where possible(PLEASE NOTE: This review is from March and a few of this reviewer's comments have already been addressed as per below).

Specifically:

When we arrived our room was unfortunately not clean, there was a small ant colony in the room and the bed sheets were dirty. .....Inexcusable. Should not happen, especially dirty sheets.

Qunci Villas's GM (yes, our General Manager) now once a month goes to our laundry facilities on the hill behind the hotel to double check the quality/in-house review of our sheets, towels, etc to make sure that only the cleanest and freshest linen is used at Qunci. Our HK supervisor is checking regularly the standards of his laundry department (8 staff)

Mosquito Repellent : Seriously?! What was my staff thinking. Of course we just sprayed, But if it is not enough we should have provided you with a can. The Front Desk now has access to the store to get repellent if our guest requests it.

Dining: Hmmm....rude staff. That is a first. A review of our 1,350+ reviews here to-date on TA will tell any future guests that one of the primary reason guests come to Qunci is because of the quality of our service and the friendliness of our staff. That being said...if any guest has a problem with staff, speak to my GM, or PM me here on TA. Give names. I will look into it (Remember this review is from 6 months ago so a bit hard to investigate this particular complaint). Staff friendliness is an issue we do NOT compromise on.

As well, I cant go back 6 months to find out what happened to your vegetarian breakfast. All I can say is that we do our best. You are correct. Lombok is still a bit isolated in terms of products but I believe that we have one of the most extensive vegetarian menus in ALL of Lombok (please ask the waiter for our special vegetarian menu). If I remember off the top of my head (I am overseas now), we have 35+ different vegetarian items on our menus at Qunci.

As for the fallen tree...that's how I remembered to look at the date of your stay that is referenced in your review. A tornado hit West Lombok earlier this year. Yes, a tornado. Never happens. Never. Until this year. Knocked down our largest tree on the front of the property as well as trees up and down the coast disrupting traffic (and food supplies, mind you!). We tried to handle it as efficiently and quietly as possible balancing the noise from fixing the deck (just hammers mind you, no heavy equipment) vs the fact that our guests just wanted the fallen tree gone and the deck fixed *pronto *. What is the expression : between a rock and a hard place. We are sorry that this happened but we couldnt do anything more than fix the deck quickly (except for the fact that after we put the tree back up we added a reinforced pot around the base to fortify the root structure)

Again, we are all happy that you enjoyed Lombok so much and we do take your comments to heart. I am sure that if you do visit Qunci Villas again, your visit will be perfect from the get-go and not just at the end of your visit.

As you write at the end of your review:

*I will say thank you for rectifying the issues where you did - we just didn't have the best start and I genuinely believe this is due to lack of communication. The food at dinner is lovely and the one bedroom villas with the private pools are beautiful. If you can. try the spa treatments. *

The Netherlands
Reviewed August 16, 2014

This was our first holiday to Lombok but it won’t be our last. Not only for Lombok but I have to stay at Qunci again!
Stayed for 2 times in July at Qunci in 2 rooms together with my husband and 2 teenage kids. First time 5 nights, second 3 nights.

Rooms: we stayed in 2 oceanview rooms. Rooms were very comfortable, clean and spacious. Both times we had an exceptionnel view from the upstair room, just mindblowing.

Pool/surroundings: This hotel is so relaxing and really never felt crowded even when it was fully booked. Okay so sometimes we couldn’t find 4 sun loungers next to each other at one pool, but hey…. than there are always 2 other pools and we never had any problems.
The architecture of the hotel makes you feel at ease the moment you walk in.
The gardens and the pools are also beautifully mantained.

Service: we travel a lot so we are used to Asian hospitality but the people at Qunci are the most welcoming I can recall. Everywhere in the hotel staff is smiling and saying hello in a manner it felt sincere.
My daughter had some skin irritation and we told a woman at the restaurant. I believe her name was Ayu. She arranged someone else to bring some Lidah Buaya/Aloe vera to us from her garden. We really appreciated this and the next morning the rash was totally gone!
During our 2nd stay, I came back from Gili Trwangan with food poisoning. Stayed in bed for 2 days. Staff was genuinely concerned and made me some fresh ginger tea against the sickness.
I can go on and on about the people here. Also during reservations Scott and his staff were very helpful and made me want to come before even checking out other hotels on the internet!

Just 2 little points for criticism:
I don’t know why but our 2nd time around we had lots of mosquitos in both rooms. Qunci is doing prevention 2 times a week and they spray your room every night if you want to. We sprayed our rooms by ourselves just to keep our frontdoors shut as much as possible and sprayed ourselves before sleeping. Unfortenately we all 4 got bitten. During our first stay we dind’t see any mosquitos at all. Strange…

During reservations I mention this holiday was a special one for us because we just celebrated our 25 Wedding Anniversary. I must admit I was a little disappointed Qunci dind’t do anything for this, no card or flowers or something.
But as mentioned these are just small things and maybe because of this I will rate Qunci 9,5 instead of a straight 10!

Well it’s like my title says: it is hard to describe the Qunci villas hotel. A good hotel/good hospitality is all about the experience so I can only say: go to Qunci and find out yourself!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Ciskey
Dear Ciskey,

*we travel a lot so we are used to Asian hospitality but the people at Qunci are the most welcoming I can recall *

Very nice....thanks!

As for the mosquitos, I will check on this. Our *mosquito handler * (smile) is also to come spray the bathrooms from time-to-time. Perhaps this hadnt been recently done.

And as for your 25th Anniversary, wow.....I am soooo sorry. We pride Qunci on being a romantic place to celebrate special occasions like this and I have scolded my staff profusely regarding the oversight of your special day.

If you do come back again (this was your 2nd visit) please send me a PM here on TA, remind me of the circumstances and we will do our best to make it up to you. For sure, not the same as on the special date of your 25th anniversary, but I would still like to try and remedy our oversight.

Paris, France
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

So why would a North American who travels the world on business (literally) who is married to an Asian woman, both living in Paris take the time out of his hectic schedule to write a review on a hotel when this is usually done by his better half?
Because when I find a jewel that should be recognized, I shout about it!

Quincy Villas is a main stay of our annual excursions to Lombok. We love exploring the main and associated islands of this paridise, but after 6 year coming here, no other accommodation makes us more comfortable than Quincy Villas. Yes, I am a fan, and a big part of the reason is the manager Mrs (Ibu) Wiwit. She goes out of her way to provide her guests a fantastic stay.
Our last stay was spent in the private hillside villa, 3 bedrooms separated by the open air lounging/dining area adjacent to the 20m infinity pool. Sunset with the volcano of Bali mirrored off the still waters of the pool ....wow! I can't give the private butler or the Ibu Wiwit enough praise, we had a great time with our family, safe secure in such a remarkable setting, I didn't want to leave!

Stayed August 2014
Scott_Lombok, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear swm123,

Thank you so much for your comment : *no other accommodation makes us more comfortable than Quincy Villas. *

And you are right, Wiwit keeps it all together. We have had a few reviews over the years where it was apparent that guests were looking for an Expat to be running the hotel, or at least a male Indonesian. Not a small, beautifully smiling Indonesian woamn.

Wiwit beats them all!! :-)

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Me and my wife had an excellent holiday

the staff was so friendly and cooperative. they helped me organise everything for my wife's birthday.
This is an amazing hotel, so much of peace,

I love the romantic lights, the lightings are very stylish too, gives the hotel a luxury look

i loved the swimming pool as well , its an infinity pool and i just loved it

They have 3 swimming poool , and the view of the beach from the pools is amazing

i also loved watching the sunset every evening. it was fab.

and not to forget the romantic Dinner on the beach :-) Amazing :-) loved it

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Anthony597
Scott_Lombok, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2014
Dear Anthony597,

Gotta love the title of your review! Thanks.

Hope to see you back with us again soon.

Heemstede
Reviewed August 12, 2014

Our stay at The Qunci Villas Hotel was fantastic. The architecture of the whole resort is amazing. This is absolutely the place to relax! Even if the place fully booked, there are enough bed to relax.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Hans0702,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and we hope to see you back with us in Lombok again soon.

Happy Travels!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa
#1 of 3 in Tanjung
Holiday Resort Lombok
Holiday Resort Lombok
#7 of 7 in Mangsit

Been to Qunci Villas Hotel? Share your experiences!