Qunci Villas Hotel
Intan Village(Senggigi)
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
2,674 results
All reviewshappy hourquali restaurantnon smokinggili islandsqamboja spapartial ocean viewday tripour honeymoonoutdoor showerbedroom villacall to prayergarden viewprivate poolopen airromantic dinnergili airevery evening
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 3 nights at this beautiful and idyllic resort. Our ocean view villa was perfect, with all the expected ammenities of a resort of this type. The outdoor shower was great and we enjoyed our balcony facing the swimming pools and the ocean. The pools are stunning, very clean and inviting. We spent a lot of time enjoying the outdoors, the pools, the ocean and the well manicured gardens. The included breakfast was plentiful and delicious. I had the eggs benedict twice.
Our only negative review goes towards the evening meals. The appetizers and deserts ordered, were nicely presented and tasty, as well as my husband's Mediterranean chicken. The disappointment was my entree, the Greek style lamb chops with yogurt. The lamb was inedible and of very low quality. It was as if they had boiled or poached them. Of course, we returned them and they immediately offered to bring me something else. I ordered an Indonesian meat dish and the meat was very tough. They were very apologetic and offered to bring me something else. By this time, the evening was spoiled and I decided not to order anything further. The next morning we spoke directly with the chef and found out that he had had the night off. Later on the restaurant manager contacted us and said that the chef wanted to treat us to a real European style lamb rack. Again, a huge disappointment !!! Instead of the lamb rack, we were served the exact same lamb chops with yogurt. My husband, who is a very good eater, could not even cut them. Let me tell you that the manager agreed with us. Of course, they did not charge for the meal but our evening was, for the second time, ruined. We did have to pay for our drinks!! Needless to say, the following evening we dined at the Square Restaurant in Senggigi. Amazing food and service! Check out my review.

Yes, the Qunci is a beautiful place to stay and the staff and management are very accommodating and pleasant. Just be very careful what you order at the restaurant. We were looking forward to staying put and enjoy the resort during our stay. Nonetheless, we were forced to leave the resort in order to have a nice dinner and the previous two nights, we did not enjoy our evenings. A pity since we just flew to Lombok to enjoy this resort.

Room Tip: Select the ocean view villas.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank trvlbufElmhurst
Scott052, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2013

Dear trvlbufElmhurst,

Please come back to Lombok and Qunci Villas where I promise that next time there wont be any screw-up on your dinner orders, and where you will be happy (and us proud) that you can give us a 5 star rating. As a Top Contributor here on TA, we take your comments very seriously. Although I am on the other side of the world in Brasil right now, I just got off the phone with my GM and Chef to work this out and get our kitchen working again at the level we expect at Qunci Villas.

First, thanks again for all the positive comments on the hotel grounds, staffing, room, etc.

As for your dinner, yes, our mistake.

First, I would like to highlight that you enjoyed your breakfast and lunches, but that it was the dinners that were lacking.

Although not an excuse for mediocre food, I want to explain that we just changed the dinner menu 2 weeks ago for the upcoming summer season. It seems, from your comment here plus a couple of others below over the past 2 weeks, that our kitchen management hasnt gotten the kinks out of the change-over and some of our food orders are going out to the restaurant below Qunci's standard.

I just got off the phone with my Canadian Chef, Bryce, who is going to “move oceans” to get his kitchen in order with the new menu and ensure that all of our dishes are prepared to the highest standard. I will not allow mediocre food to continue to be served at Qunci even for a few more days!

As for the mix-up on your lamb, yes, our fault. Communication in general is always an issue in within companies, and Qunci Villas is no exception. One of our biggest challenges is making sure that departments/managers speak to each other when a guest has a complaint/request. We are constantly working on this because, like any organization, it always needs work.

As you mention, our Chef was off the first night you ordered lamb. Your request for a different style of preparation for the lamb the next night was given to one cook, who told another when he went home, who didnt tell Bryce when he come on. Again, no excuse, and we will tighten up our communication in the kitchen and make sure that this doesnt happen to any future guest. Bryce prides himself on the fact that we can adjust dishes for particular tastes (especially for those liking their food spicy Indonesian hot!) and so he does take requests for menu changes seriously.

Happy Travels and we do sincerely hope to see you again in Lombok!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in April. Our expectations were not too high as we were told that Lombok was generally very rustic. When we arrived, we were amazed. The hotel property is pristine. It is the best kept property we have ever seen in a tropical climate - and we have been to quite a few in this area. The grounds were immaculate, the rooms are in amazing condition and the common spaces looked brand new. Such a condition is practically unheard of in a tropical climate. Needless to say, we were very impressed. Although the staff was constantly doing property upkeep (cutting the grass, gardening, cleaning, etc.) you did not even know they were there. They did not use any machines, everything is done by hand. I guess this is how they keep the property in such great condition without disturbing the guests.
Although we read reviews about mosquitoes and bugs, we did not experience this at all during our visit. Mosquitoes were not a problem on the property - in fact, I usually leave our vacations covered in bug bites and I had none after this vacation. The property does a wonderful job of keeping things bug free (which is not an easy feat!).
Our room was great - roomy, clean, comfortable and nicely decorated. Our bathroom had an open air shower which was lovely. We have stayed at other resorts with this feature and never really enjoyed it - but the one at Qunci is very well done and beautifully kept. I would suggest getting a room on the second floor, as they are more private than the rooms along the walkway on the first floor.
The staff at the resort is very attentive and ever present without being suffocating. They speak English quite well and were able to accommodate our every request. They certainly made the experience wonderful.
The beach is very nice; however, the sand is very rocky which makes swimming without "aqua" shoes difficult. This of course has nothing to do with the hotel, just an observation if you are one of those people (like me) or enjoys spending time in the ocean.
The food at the resort is very good, but can be expensive. The breakfast included with our room was wonderful. A large selection of choices, all of which are delicious. The restaurants are also very good, but spending the entire day on the property eating and drinking can add up quickly. We ended up eating lunch at the property most days and drinking poolside - our food/drink bill was more than double our actual hotel bill! To help cushion this blow, the hotel does offer a happy hour from 5-7pm every night which is buy one, get one free. This deal is great; however, it does not include glasses of wine. It would be great if they would offer even a couple glasses of wine for happy hour.
We did have some trouble with our airport transfer - i.e. it either was never booked or the car never showed up. As a result, our ride to the airport was 30 minutes later than expected. Although this caused some anxiety, we ended up getting to the airport in time for our flight without having to rush too much. The staff was very apologetic about the misunderstanding and worked quickly to fix the problem.
Although we requested a late checkout - the hotel was unable to accommodate the request as someone was checking into our room later that day. Instead, the hotel did provide a room for us to shower/change in before our flight. This was very helpful and nice of them!
Finally, we did use the spa facilities during our stay. The spa itself is lovely and the treatment rooms are beautiful and spacious. The staff at the spa is very helpful and nice and they speak wonderful English. Though the price was reasonable, the massages were just average. It seemed as though the therapists were simply going through the motions of a massage rather than being actual trained/experienced masseuses. After speaking with another guest, she mentioned she had the same experience, but asked for a more experienced masseuse for her second massage and had a much better massage the second time. We will definitely give the spa another chance and ask for a more experienced therapist next time.
Overall, we had a wonderful stay at Qunci and we will definitely be back soon. I highly recommend this property and can't wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Jena M,

Wow....you dont give too many 5 star reviews. Thanks! And as a senior contributor, you have seen many hotels!

I hope that future guests take the time to go through your informative comments, and I will look into the particular therapist that gave you your massage. Our spa is usually full from morning to night – even with 8 private beds plus a separate area for manis/pedis – because our guests just delight in the different treatments we have. Nearly 100% of the comments on this site about the spa are positive not only because of the type of treatments but also because of the quality of our staff. We have 19 therapists who are trained by a trainer who has extensive experience training therapists throughout Asia. So let me find out what happened with your one mediocre massage and either retrain your therapist, or replace him/her.

Happy Travels and we hope to see you back in Lombok again soon!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

A big applause to Qunci staff and management for creating an oasis of paradise for their guests. We only had 3 nights but it was a wonderful 3 nights!!

We traveled with our 2 young daughters (4&8 yrs) and our family visiting us from Europe (also with 2 young children). We stayed in a variety of accommodations on this trip and quite honestly we were pleased to leave the best for last. We just wish we had more time!

We have traveled extensively through Asia, Europe and the US and stay in a variety of accommodations depending on our priorities at the time. Qunci is, simply put, one of the best experiences we've had to date - and especially given the fantastic value for money. What really sets Qunci apart is the attention to detail through out the boutique hotel, a chic yet relaxed atmosphere, stylish and comfortable rooms (GORGEOUS outdoor bath), lovely pool setting overlooking the sea, fabulous cuisine, blissful spa and an amazing staff!

Below I hope to provide some additional detail that added to the enjoyment of our stay.

Family Friendly
Ironically, we came close to not staying at Qunci because I was worried that it was more of a couples hotel. Reading some of the reviews it is apparent that couples and honeymooners seem to be catered to so I worried that we would not feel comfortable. Having said this, I decided that visiting during Easter would likely bring other families as it is school holiday week. I also sent an email to reservations and was assured that children are most definitely welcome but they made sure I was aware that there was no kids club, baby pool etc. It was a nice mix of people in the end and for those that choose to be away from children splashing, screaming and playing it is perfect that there is an adult only designated pool and lounge area. We were not made to feel unwelcome at all. The staff were lovely and playful and the children were delighted with the children's menu in the restaurant.

Swimming Pools
There are three pools to choose from (one being adult only). All pools are well positioned. The setting is lovely and it was so nice to be able to swim in the pool or sit in a lounge chair and look out onto the sea. And it was a welcomed treat to have one of the smiling staff bring a cold towel and a fruit skewer to us during our lazy afternoons.

Families with young children who do not swim on their own should keep in mind that the pool does not have a shallow end for the kids to splash in. This was not a problem for us as ours are all swimmers but important for others to know.

Many reviewers comment on the locals on the beach trying to sell their goods. You can see and hear them from the pools. This was also not an issue for us but I could tell that some guests seemed a bit bothered. A word of advice is if you do not want to interact with them simply do not make eye contact or respond to their questions. Once you do they consider it free game to continue the banter. We happily engaged when we were interested in something and were delighted with our purchases.

Rooms and Construction Next Door
Prior to our trip I had read reviews and posts on the forum about the construction next door to Qunci. As such, I specifically requested two garden rooms on the opposite side of the hotel (away from construction). When we arrived in the early morning our rooms were not ready but Wiwit - the GM - arranged for us to have a temp room for the day as my nephew was quite sick with high fever and ear pain. She also arranged for a doctor to meet us at the hotel to check on him in the room. Ibu Indah came from the Sengiggi clinic and was amazing. She tended to my nephew with professionalism and lovely bedside manner. My nephew does not speak English but she was able to make him feel comforted with her motherly touch. We were grateful to the staff for arranging the drs visit and the temporary room for us to use while we waited for our room to become available.

In the end we chose to stay in this room (thankfully it was vacant along with another next door) as it was next to the pool looking out to the sea. We thought this would be ideal given the fact that the little guy would be spending a lot of time in the room recovering and would give his parents easy access back and forth. The staff were happy to accommodate our request (even set up a tv for the patient!) and ironically we ended up in Rooms 22 and 24 Ocean Views which are the ones that I had initially requested not to be in because they are next to the new hotel being constructed.

I can honestly say that the minimal noise from next door was not a problem. Yes we heard it but it was faint as it seemed to be more of finishing touches - no drilling or hacking. The evening noise could only be heard when in the bathroom because of the open air roof but this did go on until 9-930 on the nights we were there. Again we were not disturbed by it but if you are easily bothered by background noise then choose a room away from this end until construction is complete. My understanding is that this is automatically being done anyway.

The rooms were lovely and created a zen like atmosphere to retreat to when in need of a break or at night. There was ample space for the four of us and the staff set up an extra bed and provided sheets for the day daybed/couch for our daughters to have their own space. The advantage of the ground unit is the amazing outdoor shower. It was divine and gives me inspiration for the bathroom I hope to have in my home some day. :) There is also a spacious outside area with another day bed, chair and table. Perfect if you choose to have breakfast in the room or for our happy hour when we were rained out by the pool.

Cuisine and Restaurants
We were impressed with the cuisine from breakfast through to dinner. Bkfst was beautifully presented and plentiful. We ate all of our lunches and dinners in the restaurants and were not disappointed. What we liked was the fact that you could choose to have something simple, local or more upscale. There was something for everyone. The set menu on the evening of the traditional performance was delicious - and the kitchen was always very accommodating to my vegetarian requests.

We also enjoyed the two for one happy hour and yummy nibbles that were on offer at this time. The feta bruschetta was amazing!!!! The kids enjoyed the various smoothies and shakes that were on offer as well.

Although the wine selection was not out of this world it presented some nice predictable options that were known to us. We had spent the previous 5 days on the Gilis drinking Bintang so it was a welcomed change for me as I am not a big beer drinker. The cocktails were nice change too!

Spa
We did find time to sneak in a spa treatment and loved it. I had a wonderful facial with all natural products and thoroughly enjoyed the entire treatment. Once again the setting is lovely. Quite simple and so serene. From beginning to end I was made to feel special and was well looked after.

Staff
A common theme through out our stay was the genuine friendliness and attentiveness of the staff. Everyone we came in contact with made an effort to ensure our stay was perfect. It was apparent that the staff were happy and are proud to be a part of the Qunci family - this speaks volumes!!

Lastly, a special shout out to Scott the owner who reads many of the reviews and forum posts. He is a hands-on owner who is always looking to make improvements and listen to his clientele. This makes a big difference and will help to keep Qunci the special gem that it is! If I had some recommendations for improvement I would offer them as I know they would be addressed but I am at a loss. We were hoping to meet Scott on our visit to give him our rave reviews first hand.

We are fortunate to live in the region and will most definitely be back! We tend to not be repeat customers as we love to explore new places but I envision myself coming back to Qunci for a long weekend with my girlfriends, on another family get away and/or with some luck, just my husband one day!

Thanks Qunci for a lovely holiday...til we meet again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Scott052, Owner at Qunci Villas Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Stilli,

*Qunci is, simply put, one of the best experiences we've had to date - and especially given the fantastic value for money. * ….Thanks, sweet music to my ears! Especially coming from a TA Senior Contributor.

Happy travels and we hoe to see you back in Lombok again soon!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We had 5 fabulous nights at this gorgeous resort recently for our wedding anniversary over Easter. We were so impressed with everything ,including our room , a partial ocean veiw no 70 upstairs with a lovely breeze and its outdoor bathroom .We spent a lot of time lazing by the choice of 3 gorgeous pools watching local surfers in the ocean backdrop. The breakfast by the pool or room service were fantastic, fresh fruit platter and eggs in international choices ( we loved the Heuvos rancheros ) We also indulged a few times in some wonderful spa treatments, something we don't usually have time for at home. The staff were very professional and i loved all the natural products they used and especially the coconut bath after my volcanic mud wrap . The hotel organised a day trip to the Gilli islands with a local boat straight from the beach outside the resort and we went snorkelling at all 3 gilllis. The water was so clear and we saw 6 turtles.... it was a truly fabulous day . We had lunch one day at the little beach cafe Paradiso to the left of the resort. Delicious fresh fish and icy cold beers and so cheap . We also went into town for dinner a few nights in taxis ( that cost about $ 1 each way ) and our favourite was square. We wish we could have stayed longer but hope to go back again ....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Sunlover139,

Another wedding anniversary ay Qunci! I cant tell you how many we do here....Lombok and Qunci is just a very romantic place to spend an unforgettable day. We're glad that we were able to make yours special as well.

And yes, it isnt so easy to get such special spa treatments back home. I guess that's why our spa (even with 8 private beds and a separate area for mani/pedis) is nearly full from morning to evening. Our guests really just love all the different treatments. And yes, the coconut bath is fabulous – especially in the bathtub made from one whole volcanic stone thrown up from Java's volcanic mountain thousands of years ago!

We hope you can make it back our way again soon!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at the Qunci Villas and overall, our stay was very good.

Grounds - beautiful and artistic. Beach side pools are amazing and the chairs around the pools are super comfortably. The beach is limited and the ocean is a bit rough but good for some boarding lessons!

Room - very unique! There is ample space, beautiful balcony, comfortable bed and a fun outdoor bathroom and shower.

Food and beverages- we are not beer drinkers and found the price of cocktail drinks a wee over priced. Food was a hit or miss we found. Breakfast was great! Always delicious and the staff offers to bring you breakfast to your room at the time you wish in the morning with no extra charge. It was nice to eat on your own private balcony. Lunch is tasty. A good selection to choose from. Dinner, however, we were not too keen about. We ate at the beach side restaurant, it was a nice atmosphere but were disappointed with the food. The vongole pasta was flavourless and the "imported streak" was very stringy and chewy. We ordered a bottle of wine with our meal and over all is wasn't very good. However, the chocolate mouse was very tasty.

Service - Spa was great! Beautiful atmosphere and professional staff. We had the Balinese massage which was unforgettable and relaxing. The mani/pedi took too long...especially in the heat. It was suppose to be a 90min service but took just over 2 hours.

The staff are so so lovely and friendly. They truly make the resort. They are so attentive and professional. They really made our stay at Qunci unforgettable!

Room Tip: The further away you are from the Muslim temple the less likely you will be woken at sunrise with echoing prayers.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear LnCseetheglobe,

Thank you for your very complimentary comment on the staff. They work very hard to make all of our guests' trips to Qunci Villas special and they really appreciate it when our guests comment positively on that here on TA.

Your only negative comments seem to be :

on the price of drinks: Indonesia has a 400% import duty on alcohol and we do NOT substitute our alcohols with fake, homemade liquors to reduce costs. See my other comments below on other reviews on this issue and/or read the TA forum on the risks of local alcohols. So yes our drinks are a bit expensive. We try and make up for this with, I think, the only 2 for 1 happy hour on the island! Hope that helps! hahahaha

quality of your dinner: I will look into this. We want our guests eating at Qunci not only because of the great, unbeatable atmosphere but also because of the quality of the food.

Happy Travels and we hope to see you back in Lombok again soon!