“A very pleasant hotel with relaxed atmosphere”

Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Sudamala Suites &Villas in Lombok is located right on the beach with beautiful sunset views and on a clear day, you can see Bali at the other side. The hotel is very peaceful with beautiful and large rooms with pleasant outdoor showers. The hotel is 10 minutes taxi ride away from the main town which means that it is very peaceful. We spent 10 days during Christmas there and got a really good rest. On the beach in front of the hotel, there are pearl sellers who can make your necklace on the spot at very reasonable prices.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Traveller6886
Gusti_Paramatha, General Manager at Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Dear Juliette L,

Greetings from Sudamala Suites & Villas Mangsit Senggigi, Lombok.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok and we hope that you had an enjoyable stay with us and bring fond of memories back home.

We are very happy to learn that you love our room design, the property and it's surrounding as well as you are able to rest and relax for ten days.

Once again thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sudamala Suites & Villas in the near future.

Your sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We stayed for 7 nights and had an amazing time. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful. We found the room, we had an ocean view suite, was very well designed with lovely views. Our suite felt very private and we were unaware of other guests while we were in it. The pool area and the food were excellent. The chef was great and personally introduced himself, he clearly takes a lot of pride in his food. Overall a relaxing and thoroughly enjoyable experience, we will be back!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MarigoldWhitehead

Dear MarigoldWhitehead,

Greetings from Sudamala Suites & Villas Mangsit Senggigi, Lombok.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok and we hope that you had a memorable stay with us and bring fond of memories back home.

Pleased to learn that you love the ocean view room that you were stayed in, the property and the employees. I will certainly pass you nice comment to our employees especially our Chef. I can be assured that they will be very happy to hear such a nice comment from our valuable guests.

Once again thank you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sudamala Suites & Villas in the near future.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Our stay at the suites started off on a sour note as the hotel, contrary to written confirmation, failed to meet us at the airport. We got a taxi without too much problem, but if you were first timers to Indonesia could be quite daunting. On arrival they were very apologetic and offered free massages. The cab ride was ridiculously long and slow, arriving at Sudamala almost one and a half hours later. First impression was small, boutique, local resort, which is what we wanted after staying at the big scale Mulia in Bali just prior. Our room was the ground floor sunset view suite which is right on the beachfront. Room nice, not too much wow factor. In door and outdoor shower. Large tiled bath, large room with comfortable king size bed. Only steps from the beach, but the beach is very average, which is not what I was expecting. Most of the day there is very little beach. The coast has been washed away and there is a concrete wall along the front of the hotel. At high tide no beach. Pleasant but we would not swim there. During our stay weather very windy and water choppy which closed the harbour meaning we could not go to Gili Islands any of our three days there, which is not the hotels fault, but for us defeated the whole purpose of flying to Lombok, travelling an hour and a half from airport and being somewhere that really has very little to offer as a location. Nothing to walk to, except the villas next door which looked really nice. We went into Senggigi and couldn't believe anyone would want to stay there. It had nothing to offer except a dirty beach full of the local boats and some average looking restaurants. The staff at the resort were generally friendly, certainly no wow factor, but satisfactory. The pool was very nice, large and quiet. The restaurant was great, dinner on the front deck very enjoyable. We did use the spa for a three hour treatment which was also very pleasant. Overall as a property we were happy with it, we just would not travel that far again for something that you can experience in Some of the quieter areas of Bali. Missing the Gili Islands did not help, but they would have wanted to have been good to justify going all that way and based on what we did see.

Room Tip: We stayed in the sunset view suite which is at the front of the property right on the beach. We were...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank candkMelbourne
Gusti_Paramatha, General Manager at Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear CandkMelbourne,

Greetings from Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi, Lombok.

Thank you for staying with us during you recent visit to Lombok.

I do apologize for the miss arrangement on your transportation. This is not our usual standard, I personally briefed the staff and making sure such careless will not happen again in the future.

Once again thank you for your constructive feed addressed to our attention which we will do our utmost for improvement.

Yours sincerely.

Gusti Paramarta

Reviewed January 10, 2014

Although fully booked over Christmas did not feel crowded and not noisy. Situated right on the sea looking across to Bali the scene is ever changing. All the staff attentive and intent on providing top class service. Excellent spa.The Chef takes pride in his cooking, especially Indonesian, and it does cost more and it does taste better than the cafes in Senggigi. Good for that second, or third, honeymoon away from the kids.

Room Tip: Ground floor pool-side units could be noisy.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Gusti_Paramatha, General Manager at Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear Gerald C,

Greetings from Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi, Lombok.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit over Christmas. I hope that you had a memorable stay and bring fond of memories back home.

Very much appreciated on your nice comments extended toward our property and the employees especially our chef. I will certainly share your nice words with them and I am sure they are very happy to hear such good comments from our valuable guests.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We stayed here for 4 nights as part of our honeymoon in July. I had been a bit nervous about booking it in advance as they were due to open and I was wary of set-backs leaving us in a construction zone upon arrival but Ria (Monica) was very reassuring via email and I'm happy that we went ahead with our booking.

NOTE: If you book one of the speed boats from Bali to Lombok make SURE it's one of the large ones. We had very different experiences going there and back and I hated life en route as it was bouncy and stormy and I couldn't decide if I felt like puking or jumping out to avoid capsize. The way back was a dream bc the boat was bigger and could handle the waves.

There was a driver waiting patiently for us at the dock (our boat was 45 mins late due to the weather) and he drove us to the resort in a nice air conditioned SUV with chilled water in the back for us. Lombok is sort of Bali 20 years ago, and there are high priced places to stay cropping up a short distance from shacks that people live in with goats tied to their shanties. It is a reminder of how lucky you are if you are traveling there and staying somewhere nice and it's lovely that there are more jobs through tourism coming to the island.

I think we were probably among the first guests of the hotel as we really felt like no one else was staying at the resort. This was fun for us as we were on our honeymoon and liked having the pool to ourselves but whenever we felt like a bit more action we just hopped next door to Quinci Villas for dinner or drinks. Best of both worlds! I imagine it's a lot busier now than it was then so I doubt you'll have free reign of the resort if you go now.

Our room was large and breezy with a huge balcony with tables and comfortable benches and chairs. We faced the ocean directly and it was calming to fall asleep to the sounds of the waves. Bathroom was great, enormous tub as well as outdoor shower. I got used to outdoor showers in Bali/Lombok and loved it but I can imagine not everyone would.

Service lacked polish (ie they'd sometimes forget my water if I asked for a coffee and a water at breakfast) but it was sincere and I imagine the learning curve is steep. I'm not fussy and don't mind asking twice. I'm sure Monica has them up to speed at this point, she was a lovely help and very knowledgable. Only issue that arose was when I realized my credit card had been compromised in South Korea and no one at the hotel could help me dial out to call them collect. That was worrisome and frustrating to me at first (the manager was off on holiday) but I just let it go as I had another card and so did my husband.

One of the receptionists helped us book a scooter from someone she knew a couple of times and it was unbelievably cheap ($5/day!!). We obviously didn't have insurance so it was one of those "all's well that ends well" scenarios but we really enjoyed zipping into town to try restaurants, or on our biggest jaunt, all the way to Kuta Beach. It was typical crazy traffic that you experience in that part of the world so don't even think about not wearing a helmet. I felt terrible bc I had forgotten to wear long sleeves that day and Lombok is a very Muslim country. I was dressed entirely inappropriately in shorts and a tank top over my bikini but I didn't experience any hostility or even a bad look despite us riding right through the city for hours. Bear this in mind if you go into the towns, they're very traditional. Fill up your tank at various gas "stations" at the side of the road.

We had a massage with our package, the resort has a beautiful spa and very professional staff, we loved our treatment!

We ended up chatting quite a bit with the man that owns the restaurant/rental place next door. He was very friendly and we bought some carvings he had made as he helped us by Macgyver'ing our snorkles when they leaked. *Bring water shoes as the beach/water is VERY rocky and I cut myself a few times. I ended up wearing running shoes into the water every time. Gross but saved my feet*.

The guy next door introduced us to his friend who had a fishing boat and we chartered it for a day trip to all the Gilis. I think we paid 60 or 80 bucks for the day. He was nice, took us to all 3 islands, helped us find sea turtles to snorkle near and left us alone to explore each island on our own time. Not a short trip so take a motorized boat if you're in a hurry. We're glad we didn't stay on the Gilis as we were looking for a bit more of a pampered trip since it was our honeymoon but it was a perfect day trip.

Enjoyed yoga on the deck overlooking the beach and beautiful meals and cocktails each day. All in all, Sudamala was a lovely stay and a great change of pace from Bali.

Room Tip: "Sunset" upper rooms have the best views!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Gusti_Paramatha, General Manager at Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear Jesterlou,

Greetings from Sudamala Suites & Villas.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok. I do hope that you had a memorable stay and bring fond of memories back home.

Very much appreciated on your constructive feed back. I am fully understand on your nervous about your visit and the issues you were encountered due to the hotel is newly opened. We have taken you constructive feedback positively and move forward for improvement.

Also, thank you for you nice words extended to Monica our Hotel Manager and taken care of your booking. I would like to inform you that Monica just left the company and back to Bali as she need to do her personal thing. However, the company and the team are very happy to have her for the last seven months as she performed well in the company. My name is Gusti Paramarta and I would like to inform you that I am replacing Monica to manage Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi Lombok effective January 2014.

I am glad to hear that you were enjoyed exploring our naturally beautiful Island and the people.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

My family of five stayed at the Sudamala for six nights in January. From check-in to check-out and everything in between the service was wonderful. With less than 40 rooms the Sudamala was just the right size. The pool was never over crowded and there were always ample lounge chairs around the pool and the beach.

We had two rooms, a garden view and an ocean view. Both were large, well furnished with soft beds, decent television and a huge bathroom. We really liked the nightly chocolate and story provided with the turn down service.

There are few options within walking distance to the hotel to eat, but that wasn't a concern with an excellent restaurant. We really enjoyed the daily breakfast. A choice of four menus, including eggs, pancakes, musli and fresh pastries. We really enjoyed lunch and dinner menus as well. If there was one suggestion, it would be to have a bit more variety in the lunch and dinner menus.

The beach is partially black-sand. It is not a big beach by most standards and at high tide most of the beach might even be under water. However, it was very clean with very soft sand. Adjacent to the hotel you could rent surfboards or body boards to enjoy the waves. There is a coral reef very close to shore making it possible to snorkel. We would recommend wearing swim shoes or foot protection because of the rocky surface. Also, please look to avoid trampling on live coral.

The hotel also had some excellent options to explore the island. A taxi into Senggigi town was only about USD 2 if you wanted to find shops and other restaurants. The taxis all used their meters.

We had an amazing beach vacation. Usually I say that we would consider going back to a particular place. In this case, we will most certainly return!

Room Tip: If your budget allows. go with an ocean or sunset view rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Harvlaw,

Greetings from Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi, Lombok.

Vey much appreciated on your nice comment extended toward our property, the atmosphere and the amenity. I am also glad to know that you enjoyed exploring our naturally beautiful Island.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed in a lovely private pool villa at Sudamala Suites and Villas Senggigi for 3 nights. The Indonesian style decor added that authentic touch. Outside the room, we enjoyed walking along the landscaped pavement, listening to the sounds from the water features, and admiring flower arrangements that were seen in huge pots and vases. Although our room had no ocean view, we were happy to enjoy the ocean view during meals at the Olah Olah restaurant. The staff were generally attentive and courteous - from the reception, to the restaurant and the spa. We signed up for the tour to Gili Islands from the reception and we really enjoyed it.

Only one small piece of advice for the restaurant staff is to be more attentive with service. On our second evening, my partner and I had a candlelight dinner. After we enjoyed the main course, we had to ask the wait staff three times for our dessert. The interval time between the main course and the dessert was too long, more than 30 mins. Finally, we couldn't wait and left our seats. The waiter saw us and asked if we wanted the dessert in our rooms... so we agreed. The dessert was chocolate cake and ice cream, hardly something that should have taken so long to serve!

It's a lovely boutique resort and we would not hesitate to recommend it! Thank you for the wonderful stay!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Flytheworldover

Dear Ms. Celia Y.

Greetings from Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi, Lombok.

Thank you for staying with us during your recent visit to Lombok and I do hope that you had a memorable stay and bring fond of memories back home.

Very much appreciated on your nice comment extended toward our property and the employees which I will share with the team. I am sure they are very happy to know such a nice comment from yourself.

I do apologize that our restaurant staff less attentive in responding to the service. This is not our usual standard and I will make sure our Food & Beverage Manager is looking into this issue for improvement.

Once again thank you, and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sudamala Suites & Villas in the near future.

General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
Qunci Villas Hotel
Holiday Resort Lombok
Holiday Resort Lombok
#6 of 7 in Mangsit
Pool Villa Club Senggigi Beach Lombok

Been to Sudamala Suites & Villas Senggigi? Share your experiences!