“Nice ambiance and nice food”
Review of Quah Restaurant

Quah Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Mangsit
Cuisines: Indonesian, Mediterranean, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Elegant Italian Dining on the beach.
Singapore, Singapore
“Nice ambiance and nice food”
Reviewed March 19, 2014

The food here is quite good and service was impeccable. We went there only once and for a short time but midway through the waiters were already calling my daughter by her name every time they walked past. The only gripe I had was that I felt the lobster was a bit expensive and a bit small. They should try to get bigger ones.

Visited March 2014
Scott052, Owner at Quah Restaurant, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear 555_Travel,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review and I will look into the size of the lobster with our suppliers. At this time of year (windy) FRESH lobsters are more difficult to come by.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
“Great food and drinks”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Got there just in time to see the sun go down. Made a reservation with Quah, but the hostess kept on harping about Quali and their Friday night promo (the 'pasar malam'), when all we wanted was to sit down, order a drink and watch the sun go down. By the time I insisted on sitting down in Quah, and settled down, the sun was gone.

They seemed disappointed that I didn't want to try their pasar malam. It looked... ordinary.

Otherwise, the food in Quah was lovely. We had a nice seat by the beach, the cocktails were amazing, and food was tasty. The seafood platter was amazingly done, while my fish was really worth the wait.

Qunci also very kindly offered to take us back to our hotel nearby using their transport.

Would recommend - just get there early to catch the sunset (with the added value of the happy hour!). Thanks for having us guys.

Visited February 2014
Scott052, Owner at Quah Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Wazza_83,

Yes, my waiters to get excited about our Pasar Malam. Not only is their local Lombok food on display but after last week, when your famous Singapore Streetfood critic Seetoh came to Qunci to taste our Pasar Malam, my staff have been *overly * excited about it. (check out our FB page for pics and details of Seetoh's visit).

But I will talk to my Restaurant Manager and ask them to chill it a little (smile).

Glad you enjoyed your meal though.

“Location,Location,Location”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. I could spend all day there. If you want a beautiful location to enjoy your meals

Visited March 2014
Scott052, Owner at Quah Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear steve l,

Like many of our other guests, *I could spend all day there * ..... smile

Perth, Australia
“How very disappointing... food poisoning!”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

It is with great disappointment that I write this review. I would dearly loved to have been able to enjoy our last few days on Lombok, however thanks to our dining experience during our stay at the seemingly idealistic Qunci Villas the end of our holiday was ruined due to food poisoning. The evening following our dinner my partner required IV fluids and medication so as to be able to fly home the following day!

Now of course I can imagine you are saying to yourself how can we be sure we caught the bug from the restaurant? Allow me to make a few points that lead us to this conclusion:

We consistently-
Use hand sanitizer (alcohol gel) regularly and especially prior to eating meals.
We never drink, or brush our teeth / rise our mouths with local tap water.

Also we ate lunch seaside in front of the restaurant at Qunci earlier that day (same kitchen I assume), and ate no other snacks etc.

The vomiting, cramps, and diarrhea kicked in shortly after we ate breakfast (we woke feeling a little off but thought it may just be a cold or flu coming on) the morning after our dinner that we suspect to be the cause. We did not leave our room or eat anything for 24 hours as we were too ill - my patner was vomiting everything up and could not hold down any fluids or meds so we had to call for a Doctor. The hotel was able to call a doctor for us, whom was very good.

What makes this hard is that the meal it's self was very nice (other than it made us sick of course). The prices seemed fair for the quality, service was fine, atmosphere great.

How very disappointing.

• Visited February 2014
3 Thank Pdublya
Scott052, Owner at Quah Restaurant, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
I post below the same reply that I posted to this reviewer on our hotel page:

Dear Pdublya,

Yes, I too would be disappointed after getting ill during what looks like your first trip to Lombok. But let me take the time to discuss 3 aspects of your review: Qunci itself, food hygiene  at Qunci villas and our response to your partner's illness.

First let me say thank for your *WOW * comment upon arrival. You seemed to really be impressed with our hotel, the views, the rooms - and, ironically, your main courses that you say *were delicious *.

As for food hygiene, I feel very secure in stating flat out that Qunci maintains the highest standard of food hygiene in Lombok. We use only filtered water to clean our veggies, we have separate rooms for butchers/fish/veggies, and staff cleanliness is our very high priority. Our French chef takes this issue very seriously.

Furthermore, all guests are free to ask to visit our cooking premises; we also offer cooking classes where guests are invited into the kitchen to cook. A quick tour of our facilities will put any concerns to rest that a guest may have with regards to hygiene.. Please also check out the review a week or 2 before this review (*Loved it! * from a visiting restaurant owner/Chef and his Pastry Chef wife from Perth who commented on how impressed they were with Qunci standards).

What happened with your partner? With 98% certainty I can say that your partner did not get food poisoning from Qunci.

1. I invite readers to visit the TA forum on Lombok (and more so on the Bali forum where this gastronomic virus started a few months back - and is now called throughout this region  *Bali Belly *!!). It seems to be a virus and not related to food although the symptoms are similar. It isn't affecting everyone but for those people that it does infect the impact can be severe although to-date never critical.

2. Furthermore, after visiting you the doctor informed my front desk manager, quote : *there is big chance that the illness was because of what they ate in Gili, since they came from there on the 25th. I told these guests that if the food at Qunci was bad, a reaction this severe wouldn't be that quick. They had dinner with us, then got sick right after breakfast the next day. *

Regardless, we are sorry, very sorry, that your partner got sick. So what did Qunci do?

As you mention, you got ill after breakfast on the Friday morning. You informed us at around 6 pm on Friday and by 7 pm that night we had a doctor on premises for you. We called our best doctor for you who, as you mention, gave you very good service plus an IV for your partner. After the doctor left, you put the Do Not Disturb (DND) sign on the door. We checked back with you at your room but you left the DND sign on your door so we did not disturb you. In fact, my Front Desk Manager spent the night at Qunci Villas in case there were any more problems with you and personnally checked at your room 3 times early on Saturday morning to ask how you are doing. But since your DND sign was still on the door, he left you in peace.

As well, the doctor returned the next morning (Saturday, the day of your departure) at 8 am to give you additional medicine. Since your DND sign was on the door he also didnt want to disturb you and left the medicine with Budi, our front office staff.

My GM and Front Desk Manager both saw you at Quah having breakfast at 10 am before your departure and wanted to see how you were doing, but (very Indonesian) they wanted to wait until after you ate to disturb you and ask how you are doing. They went to an internal meeting and missed talking to you. Next time, I have told them to be more *American * and just interrupt the guests' breakfast to ask how they are doing.

My restaurant manager was also informed of your condition at our morning briefing on Saturday morning, the morning after you fell ill, but when he looked for you after the meeting you had already returned to your room.

After your breakfast you returned to your room and Budi, our front desk staff came to your room at 10:45 and give you the medicine from your doctor that he had left at the front desk and asked about your transport to the airport.

He didnt ask how you were.

When you checked out, Budi checked you out and also didnt ask how you were.

I frankly cant tell you what happened here. Budi is one of my better front desk clerks, is up for promotion, and even just being Indonesian, they are likely to to ask how you are doing with or without any *regulation * on this from Qunci Villas. Not just from politeness, but also due to cultural sensitivities where the local people generally take great concern in people's health and welfare.

My GM, front desk manager and I just talked to Budi this morning to confirm what you said, and yes, he didnt ask you how you were. We are as baffled as you and apologize profusely. It certainly wont happen again.

But I do hope that you realize that the lack of one of my staff asking about your condition in no way reflects our very concerned approach to health issues at Qunci, nor to your case specifically, and we hope that you will give Lombok, if not Qunci Villas, another chance in your future travel plans.

Safe Travels!
Waiheke Island, New Zealand
“Fabulous Anniversary Dinner”
Reviewed February 20, 2014 via mobile

The food was tasty and incredibly well priced for an idyllic beach front setting where we chose to watch the sun set at the best beach front table with our feet in the sand.

We enjoyed entrees of beef carpaccio and tuna gravlax, main courses of beef tenderloin and chicken Taliwang, and shared the chocolate molten cake for desert. While neither of us are desert people it must be noted that I demolished most of the desert which turned up while my husband was momentarily away from our table!

While the fantastic food and romantic setting warranted 5 stars, I wish I could give an extra star for Husni who looked after us that evening and took the time to chat about the hotel and Lombok and to the other friendly service staff who were attentive but not overbearing and took some nice pictures of us that we get to treasure when we return home.

We also dined in the restaurant on our arrival to Qunci and had the blackened snapper and duck cassoulet - both dishes we plan to try and replicate when we return home.

Visited February 2014
Scott052, Owner at Quah Restaurant, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear nzdaydreamer,

Thank you for the kind review and especially the comment on Husni. He'll appreciate it.

We hope to see you back with us again soon and next time you might want to try our cooking class where our Chefs will let you in on how to prepare some of our dishes when you return home.