“fernandez”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We have used this place for last three months.They are good on price, delivery and quality of food. I enjoy the Vegetable Korma which I find nice and mild to my taste and my partner enjoys their lamb curry. Priced was compensative. I am very picky when it comes to indian restaurants, but I was very impressed with Kerala spices on my first visit. They do some very unique dishes made with coconut flavour. The one I tried had a very distinct coconut flavour and was very different to any other indian dishes I have had, but it was very tasty indeed. I will be going back to try some of the other dishes. The masaladosa was good too.

2  Thank fernandez p

Reviewed July 11, 2012

We ordered chicken tandoori to start and the chicken was off... We didn't feel like eating anything else after that. We'll never go again.

2  Thank Haring3
Reviewed June 25, 2012

At the moment, my favourite starter at this lovely ffoodie restaurant is the onion dosa. Not as heavy and filling as the usual masala dosa, and an unfailing masterpiece of light, fragrant, delicious tastes and textures.

Then I would go for the Kerala Special Vegetarian Curry - which is authentic, unusual in the UK, and totally delicious. With it I would choose Sambhar Vada - little pancakes which you can use for eating with your fingers - an art which I have not yet mastered.

Oh, do not be tempted to eat things you ever have seen on other 'Indian' restaurant menus. Turn your back on them. Trust in the local knowledge of the Kerala kitchen staff and see what you discover.

2  Thank Ffoodie
Reviewed May 14, 2012

This area is not great for 'ethnic' food when compared with places like London or Leicester where there is a great deal of diversity and diners are used to a wide choice and don't mind the heat of spicy food. We have found since moving here from London that it is hard to find Indian food that is not bland and in fact it is hard to find any Asian food apart from Cantonese or Bengali.

So it was good to find a South Indian restaurant only a twenty minute drive away. The menu offered a wide choice including 'tiffins' - dosas, idli and uttappam, as well as vegetarian and non-vegetarian curries and rice dishes.

We both chose the non-vegetarian set menu (£21) from a choice of mainly South Indian dishes interspersed with more familiar dishes like biryanis, dansak, kurma, jalfrezie curries. Starters and dessert were selected by the restaurant and for main course we could each choose one of each of the following from the menu: main dish, side dish, rice and bread . The starters were Kerala fish fry, chicken cutlets and chicken tikka, which came with two dips, a mild coconut and a spicy one. The portions were very generous and the sauce pleasingly spicy. For main course I chose Chennai fish curry, plain rice, a thoran ( a dry vegetable dish which I was told would be beans and carrots on the day we went) and a Malabar paratha. My companion chose a Kerala chicken (selected on the advice of the waiter as she wanted something tasty but not too spicy), Peshwari Naan, spinach rice and Travancore Kaya Curry (cubed vegetables with coconut and chilli). The fish curry was tasty and the paratha pleasingly flaky. The disappointment was the vegetables, usually a highlight of South Indian food: both dishes appeared to contain the same mixed frozen vegetables, cooked in a slightly different way. A real pity - perhaps we caught them on an off day and they had run out of fresh vegetables? Desserts were gulabjamoon (deliciously dense balls of condensed milk and flour soaked in syrup) and ice cream and kesari.

The bill, with a gin and tonic, a coke and two large bottles of sparkling water and tip, came to £30 per head. We could have eaten well for less though.

Service was efficient, helpful and friendly. I would definitely visit again but would hope next time to find fresh vegetables. I would also choose from the vegetarian menu as there were a number of starters that were tempting. From peeking at what others were eating (a bad habit but who can help but do it) the dosas seemed a popular choice as well.

The four star rating is 'good for the area' - if it was in London it would only get a three because of the frozen vegetables. Still, a welcome find in rural Kent.

1  Thank JeffandJane15
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Freshly cooked to order and a great range of Vegetarian curries,Dosas etc.
Very good value,with attentive staff.
My favourite in the Ashford/Canterbury area

1  Thank Privatewiddle1956