TripAdvisor
Five Islands Village
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews the caribbean restaurant bay view the diamond club lounge young professionals hunters steakhouse martini bar culinary experience travel smart scores bar gourmet marche swim up room hunter restaurant pool bar foam party antigua resort fort barrington family vacation
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’m never one to complain and this is the first review I’ve written but I decided I had to share my frustrations with this place. I’m quite an easy going person but when my wife breaks down in tears because she’s had enough of this place when we were so looking forward to our first family break together then enough is enough. Firstly, the location is stunning and the beach is amazing too. The hotel itself is lovely and the rooms are spacious and are what you would expect. The service however is appalling. To find a member of staff who is attentive and capable of carrying out their work with any pride or passion is a challenge. They do exist and there have been some great staff who have really made an effort with our daughter but there has also been occasions when we’ve felt like we should apologise for asking for a drink, on one occasion we had a telling off from a member of staff for asking for a drink after she had just threw some away that had previously been made.
As I write this review the Royalton have had an arrival of 200+ young guests and someone has decided it would be a great idea to mix some of them on the same floor as a few young families so now I have banging music, a nasty smell of drugs now coming into our room, a wide awake toddler and a wife upset about the whole holiday. That’s why I’ve decided to sign up to trip advisor and have a moan.

Here are some of my gripes..

On arrival room wasn’t ready and had to wait over an hour.
Bags took forever to get to our room. We were desperate for them as had ran out of nappies and our little girl needed changing and every time we called we were told 5 minutes and they wouldn’t arrive.
No air con anywhere on the resort including our room for the first 5 days.
Kids club? Forget it. Let down 3 times where we took our daughter to meet Max and Ruby and didn’t show up. (Asked someone to call me about this, they didn’t.)
Kids pool has hardly any shade and asked someone to put an umbrella up and they couldn’t so told me to ask the next person that walked past. I eventually went to ask someone else who said they would help but never did. Shade for kids obviously isn’t important.
Waited at the hunters restaurant for an hour and a half and eventually walked out after not getting any food.
Lifts not working
Knocking on the door at 10:30 pm to ask if we wanted the mini bar topping up (appreciate he was trying to helpful but it’s not when you’ve just got you toddler off to sleep)

There are so many other things and I don’t want to come across as being petty but overall I’m gutted that my wife is now so upset about booking to come here after looking forward to it for so long. I get that it’s this place is new and it can take time to get up and running but i think it’s also very badly run and if this place ever wants to be 5 star then they need to work the basics out first.

4 star place with 2 star service.

Trip type: Traveled with family
9  Thank kenchy1981
Anu-OCM, Management Team at Royalton Antigua Resort And Spa – All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear kenchy1981,

Thank you for choosing our resort and taking the time to share your experience initial experience with us.

We are pleased to know that you were captivated by the beauty of the resort and the comfort of your room.

It is regrettable to hear that there are some shortfalls that have impacted the great vacation we wished for you to have.

Please accept our apologies for any discomfort and the momentary lapse in service quality.

Our team is currently improving the standard delivered by implementing additional training and other resources throughout the resort which you will experience first-hand during your visit.

You can trust that we will ensure the remainder of your family's stay, is the amazing holiday our other guests have enjoyed.

In an effort to deliver and ensure that you enjoy the luxury of our vacation destination, a private message has been sent to your inbox. We await your response and look forward to making your vacation memorable.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

This was our second visit to Royalton Antigua as Day Pass Guests & the reason we returned was because we loved our first visit & this second time didn’t disappoint. It is such a fun hotel, everything is taken care of for you so all we had to think about was which pool to visit or drink to have next. The facilities are still absolutely immaculate.

We were with our family & also friends, and everyone loved it, young & old. The children (& adults!) loved the kids splash pool & spent a LOT of time there. The food at Marché for breakfast was excellent as were the friendly service. And the beach staff who worked so hard all day were attentive, professional & a pleasure to spend time with.

We will definitely return for another Day Pass, and we will be sure to return when we have family visiting from overseas who will no doubt love it too, and may even choose to stay a few nights. Thanks for an epic day (again)!

Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First I must comment that the people working there were very helpful ,kind and friendly. However, the facility needs improvement. On our 3rd day the air condontioning quit working and remained off for the rest of our stay. Some of my friends complained about brown water in their bathrooms and a leak in their shower. Another, that the shower took a long time to drain because it wasn't slanted toward the drain. After a storm, there was a sewage smell inside and out. During one night the TV kept turning on every hour until i figured out how to shut off. Then the next night an alarm continued to ring...was told it was in the defunct air conditioning system. At midnight alarm was stopped.. but still no AC. The $300. resort credit is not what you think. Could use $10.00 at a time. We went to Shirley Heights and was told couldn't use for this because the trip was only $50.00. Was told this was a new resort, but it was't, Just a new addition in the lobby area. The Casino wasn't open, One night at the "steak house" the vent fan wasn't working and the whole place filled with smoke. I would not recommend this hotel until all the structural kinks are fixed.

5  Thank sgoetz15857

Dear sgoetz15857,

Thank you for choosing our resort as your vacation destination and sharing your experience with us.

It is refreshing to know that the hospitality of our hosts was exceptional.

Regretfully, the inconvenience you encountered impacted the overall experience we wished for you to have.

Our teams have already tackled these concerns and implemented preventative measures to reduce the potential impact in the future.

We do feel it is important to clarify the use of the Resort Credit as it appears there was some misunderstanding.
The credit allows provides you an assortment of discounts throughout the resort, to almost all features, rather than just one.

We hope that you will allow us the opportunity to have you back with us in the future, providing the experience you wished to enjoy.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The Royalton is a lovely hoteL. Staff were very friendly and welcoming, they couldn't do enough for you. The only down side was that sometimes certain bars would run out of white wine. The food was excellent and there was plenty of choice. I would not advise purchasing tickets from the seller on the beach for the WADADLI CATS LTD boat trip as it did not live up to expectation. We paid £139.19 for the boat trip which was to stop off at four different islands, one of which was for people to do snorkelling. We only stopped at one where the snorkelling took place.

Date of stay: September 2019
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

I understand that this resort has only been open for a few months. I felt that there was lack of or insufficient training for many of the staff and the overall level of service was not up to Royalton standards. I did feel that they were trying their best to make sure that guests were kept happy but there was still an underlying feel that management support was lacking. Of my two butlers, one was great, the other just ok. Some of my requests were met and some were not. The day after I arrived, I had requested a bottle to my room and as my butler explained, there just wasn't this particular bottle available at the resort. This just isn't acceptable. I had an a-la-carte meal in the Italian restaurant and it was terrible. I did not send it back as that simply is not my nature (but I did not finish even 1/4 of what was served as my main). On my last evening, we were hosted by management at the Caribbean restaurant and the meal was better. Still not 5* quality though. As far as housekeeping, my room was not cleaned one day at all until I requested it. Finally at 6:00pm it was done. On another day, I was left no water and my coffee pot and coffee tray had not been cleaned and no fresh amenities were left for coffee the following morning. I ordered room service to compensate for this. I went to the spa for the 1 hour complimentary hydro therapy and was told the spa was closed. This was 75 minutes prior to closing. I was eventually allowed in for 30 minutes. I went with a group of travel agents from Canada. As a guest experiencing this, I would not return nor would I recommend it - it was not Royalton standards. As an agent experiencing this, I can understand the "growing pains" of opening a new resort, however I am very hesitant to send guests there right now. Maybe in a year when the kinks are worked out?

• Trip type: Traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
3  Thank casper_z_ventura

Dear casper_z_ventura,

Thank you for choosing our resort as your vacation destination and taking the time to share your experience with us.

It is regrettable to hear that your expectations were not met, as we aim to consistently deliver great experiences for each of our guests.

Your valued comments do identify areas for improvement which will be remedied through adequate training and development sessions with our teams.

It would have been our pleasure to meet with you during your stay to discuss any of your concerns. Our hosts are dedicated to ensuring that your stay is beyond expectations and would have done their best to improve it.

Whilst an apology for any inconvenience may not change the past, we hope that you will return to truly enjoy the product that we grow each day, by proactively addressing shortfalls and quickly recovering from oversights.
We look forward to your return for the true vacation we deliver.