Galley Bay Resort & Spa - All Inclusive
$235
$162
Hermitage Bay(Saint Mary's)
$1,000
Siboney Beach Club(St. John's)(Great Value!)
$180
$392
$170
Bookit.com
  • Breakfast included
COCOS Hotel Antigua(Jolly Harbour)
$429
$418
Hotels.com
Sugar Ridge Resort(Jolly Harbour)
$215
$180
$143
$422
$409
3,487 results
All reviewssea grapebarefoot grillcaptain seanteepee bargaugin restaurantbeach frontpremium suiterocking chairsbanana slideguest servicessuperior beachfrontred flagdouble showerour honeymoonrum punchplunge poolbird sanctuary
Reviewed March 10, 2013

We enjoyed our visit. The place is quiet and restful. We recommend a deluxe or premier beachfront room. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. The beach is beautiful although a bit rough by Caribbean standards.
We sailed with Sean and he took us to Cade's Reef for snorkeling. He is a great guide and the trip is well worth it. He has a smaller boat than the big party boats but he and his crewman are fun. The food was more authentic Antiguan are than you will have at the resort and it was very tasty.
We will definitely return to Galley Bay

Room Tip: Premier or Deluxe
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
EIR123, Guest Relations Manager at Galley Bay Resort & Spa - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent visit with us.

Our staff is our biggest asset and we are proud to have such a dedicated group of service minded individuals working at the resort that helped make your stay as restful and relaxing as you have stated.

We look forward to welcomiing you back soon!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

Although we said we would never go back to the same place twice we did! Could it be as good as it was the first time? Yes it could, and be better (if that was possible). I won't repeat last year's review (Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant) so here are the better bits. On arrival we were greeted with the phrase 'Welcome home' and I think they really meant it. Richard took us to our room and told us it was even better than last year, and he was right. There were some other nice suprises for returning guests. The bar staff were more sociable and engaging. The staff overall were superb, friendly, helpful and exceptionally attentive without being intrusive. We also experienced an improvement in the quality of the food. Ismays was particularly excellent. This hotel has been a paradise for us but it is time to move on. However, we are really struggling to find something on a par with Galley Bay. Can someone who has been help here? As we search the internet we are saying 'Never say never'.

5  Thank Jimmypagekent

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for your very positive feedback on your recent Galley Bay stay.

We agree with you...."Never Say Never"!

The third time is a charm and we are waiting to warmly welcome you back.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

Recently returned from Galley Bay and had a pleasant experience. From my travel experience which is 25 years selling travel dreams to people, Galley Bay is just 4 star resort. Havinf visited one of it's sister properties there are major differences.

Superior Beach front rooms need major work on the showers, mirrors and sinks. These rooms I do not recommend for the price, if possible upgrade yourself there is a tremendous difference in room types. Food was very good and the staff were pleasant. There was an occassional time where staff would pass by you and not offer you a beverage.

They stock your fridge upon arrival and then do not stock it again unless you are willing to pay. Not really an all inclusive if I am paying.

Ismay's for dinner was good, not great. The ambiance is very nice, however money out of your pocket again.

The gym, library and spa are very nice and I do recommend a massage. I understand there are rennovations being done and this will benefit the hotel.

The red flag was up 5 out of our 7 days, however the pool area is very nice and the beach is spectacular.

I would not return, there are so many other places to visit.

4  Thank 190janicew
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were back again to Galley Bay in February. Each time that we visit there has always been an improvement. This year the gym had been renovated which was great. The only thing that never changes is the wonderful relaxing atmosphere and the brilliant staff. The management is easily accessible and always ready to listen and genuinely welcome guest input - good or bad.
The beach and pool area are never crowded and the whole resort is spotlessly clean. The guests are always a mixture of ages and we never fail to meet lovely people to share a meal and/or a drink with in the evening. Entertainment is low key and not intrusive - you can always move to the Teepee bar if you prefer somewhere quiet to chat.
This was our eighth visit and still we love the place. Can't wait to go back!

Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
EIR123, Guest Relations Manager at Galley Bay Resort & Spa - All Inclusive, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for the very positive feedback. Our goal is to alwasy surpass expectations.

Glad you had such a great vacation and look forward to seeing you next year!

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Trip Advisor reviews are incredibly useful when you are about to book your holiday. They are also the worst thing in the world.
As an example, the Galley Bay Superior Beachfront rooms seemed ideal to us, being on the beach and just steps away from the sea, until we read a review that suggested it was possible to wake up to find the sea in your room! While being on the beach and close to the water is wonderful, no one wants to wake in the night to find oneself actually in the sea. The chance of this happening, I would suggest, is miniscule however…. Unless it’s hurricane season..?!?! ( Don’t leave valuable things on the floor then.!!
Negative reviews of all other aspects of a resort make people worry that they’ve booked the wrong thing.
Where there are thousands of reviews available, how do you balance them to achieve a reality? I have absolutely no idea. I would suggest that the reality is that you book and then go and enjoy your holiday. Nothing will be perfect but we found Galley Bay to be close.
So… our Superior Beachfront room, fact and my personal opinion:- Power sockets are American (USA) two flat pin (so you know which adaptors to take, if needed at all).
The bedroom was a good size – with a couple of chairs, but we didn’t sit on these as we generally sat outside, on our own “patio”, pretty much on the beach. Outside the front (non-beach side) were a couple of wooden (rocking) chairs, and a table too, although we never actually sat there either.
Very quiet air conditioning and ceiling fans in the bedroom and shower room keep you cool.
I found the bed, pillows and duvet very comfortable although that is acknowledged to be personal taste.
Sideboard with drawers, a fridge and a regularly replenished ice bucket. The initial content of the fridge (2 cans of Coke, 2 cans of lemonade (or similar) and 2 small bottle of water) is complimentary but you pay for it to be refilled, which seemed a bit petty on the part of the resort but, to be honest, we only drank one can of Coke and took the bottles of water with us when we left to go home (in case of long queues at the airport). Thirsty? Go to a bar… it's free. A filter coffee machine is provided, with coffee in “bags”, tea bags, powdered creamer, sachet sugar… etc. The coffee wasn’t bad.
Flat panel TV with many programmes, mainly from the USA I am guessing. But why would you be on holiday in Antigua to sit in your room and watch TV?
The wardrobe (clothes hanging space) is in the shower room (no bath) in an alcove (with the room safe) but I would suggest that this is no problem. With windows, doors and air conditioning there is little chance of your clothes getting even the least bit damp. It is fine. The shower will get you wet, and rinse you off after washing, but a power shower it is not!! You live with this. No problem. There is an ironing board and iron. Shampoo and related sundries are provided as are flannels, small and large towels. Beach towels are also provided with replacements given when asked for at the Customer Services desk. The provided robes were ideal, especially for the first thing in the morning coffee sat outside the room on the “posh” loungers at the edge of the (always rather deserted) beach. The single towel rail was above the toilet. Why not more, I ask, and in more appropriate places?
What of the “tired” fixtures and fittings and other room “issues”? You are spending a few days in a very comfortable room on a wonderful beach. Everything works and the room is clean, neat, well presented and serviced. There is no real problem. We loved it and would probably ask for the same again if we revisit.
It rains in the Caribbean. Not usually for long but it does rain. There is a golfing umbrella in each room (ours, anyway…). We didn’t use it but it would have been useful if we were leaving for dinner and it poured. A nice touch.
Free Wi-Fi is available in and near the library, around the corner from which is the “internet room” with a couple of computers provided. We discovered that we had Wi-Fi in our room too, from “Galley Room 16”. We weren’t going to complain.! Being able to be in easy contact with our “home alone” offspring was useful. They are 20 and 17, not small children… Resort wide Wi-Fi is planned, evidently. No idea of a time frame.
The resort itself is wonderfully maintained and can never be considered to be crowded. There is always space. There were always free sun-beds at the pool and the beach is large enough for many times the number of guests. All beaches on Antigua are public so anyone can go on the resort beach, their only problem would be getting to it. During our week we didn’t see anyone on the beach who wasn’t at the resort, apart from the odd person who arrived by boat – watch out for the guy who arrives on his yacht (called “Beats Working”) to offer trips around the island.!
Bars – four: The “main” bar, one near the Seagrape restaurant and one at both Gauguin and Ismay’s. I don’t know if the latter of these is a place you would (or even can) just go for a drunk though. A lot of our drinks seemed to resemble alcoholic milkshakes! Apart from the G&Ts and one or two (okay many) others. All good. “Banana Slide” – very refreshing during the day. “Dirty Monkey” (like an alcoholic chocolate milkshake) – not on a list but they’ll make anything it seems.
Food – three restaurants:
The Seagrape:- Breakfast (buffet (cereal, fruit, cold meat, cheese, yoghurts, buns, rolls, scrambled egg, bacon, sausages, and much, much more) and waiter served – the Eggs Benedict, Eggs Manhattan, Eggs Creole, Eggs every which way… all very tasty…. with many other options available). Lunch and non-booking dinner – both waiter served.
Gauguin – Lunch (no booking required) was wonderful in the one table per thatched “gazebo” type setting, on the edge of the beach. See their web site for photographs. The fish (grouper, tuna, swordfish, mahi-mahi and several more) were lovely. We felt very virtuous having fish and salad but then “ruined” it all by also having a multi calorie salad dressing and chips (“fries” for non-UK residents!). All very tasty. Dinner here is by booking only, at 6:45 and 8:30 pm.
Ismay’s – Dinner only at an extra cost of $35 per person plus any non-“house” wine. I will admit to being cynical about spending £50 on a meal when the other restaurants produced extremely tasty food for no additional cost. The setting is very pleasant but I would hesitate to say that it is better than the other two restaurants. The initial serving was a “taster” (it probably has a formal posh name) which was a small tart like item. It was okay but nothing special and my cynicism remained. We opted for the perfectly decent (we aren’t connoisseurs.!) “house” merlot. The scallops were wonderful and my cynicism started fading. The following day I alarmed Galley Bay’s head chef, Andrew “Stan” Baxter, with the comment that the chef who had cooked my main course had brought tears to my eyes. The reality was that my cynicism was completely vanquished as the “Surf and Turf” platter placed before me not only looked good but then had my taste buds "dancing". I can truly say that the dish was the best I have eaten in a long while and the extra payment was a small price to pay for such exquisite enjoyment. How one can take some “basic”, but good, ingredients, of a steak and some king prawns, and then turn them into such a “work of art” is a mystery to me. The “moistening of the eyes” was very real – it was that good. The finale was chosen from the presentation perspective, watching Baked Alaska being served to other diners, in blue flame! The source of the flames was Sambuca, which I love but my wife doesn’t. I guess I must have eaten most then…. So, my hearty congratulations to the chef concerned. I’ll gladly pay to eat your food again.
All the staff at Galley Bay were very friendly and welcoming, from reception, bars, restaurants, gardeners, security and everyone else. Terms and conditions of employment?!?! All good though. Compliments and best wishes to Natasha P (a tad mad!), Arthur, Janice (with the red wine!), Chris, Stan and, of course, the master of culinary expertise in Ismay's kitchen.!!
We loved the place and would go back next year, if there weren’t many other Caribbean islands we’ve yet to visit.

• Stayed: February 2013
12  Thank Jerry D

Dear Valued Guests,

Thanks for the great and very informative feedback.

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. We are so glad that we could provide such a memorable experience.

And please note...Natasha P, Arthur, Janice Chris, and Stan impatiently await you return!

Look forward to seeing you soon.