I've just returned from a solo trip to Canouan, having spent 5 nights at the Tamarind. I almost hate to talk about what a great place this is because much of the island's charm results from its obscurity, and I'd selfishly love to keep it that way.
I arrived by plane (at least a day-long exercise for those of you not arriving by the more common sail boat--it took me 3 flights to get there). This being the case, be prepared to endure the hassle of the travel--it's worth it.
The resort is competent, friendly, comfortable, and situated on a postcard-perfect beach. There is a restaurant, beach bar and larger bar connected to the restaurant. The food is perfectly fine, nothing extraordinary, but nice--my favorite discovery was the conch samosas (little pastries filled with seasoned conch meat).
Traveling alone, I made efforts to befriend the locals and find out what island life is really like. I found most people here to be exceptionaly warm, kind, sweet, and possessed of a calmness I've never seen anywhere else--surely a result of living in an utterly stress-free environment. Crime seems virtually non-existent. (You couldn't get away with doing anything bad on this island, because everyone knows everyone!)
The sea surrounding the island is so blue, you'd think they put food coloring in it. I was in stunned disbelief--and this was not my first trip to the Caribbean. Rent a kayak and go for a spin around the lagoon.
I have nothing bad to say about the Tamarind, and plan to go back very soon.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club is a lively beachfront oasis with 40 seaside hideaways, surrounded by tropical gardens, on a long white sand beach. The low-rise property features two thatched-roof restaurants/bars: the "Palapa Restaurant", with a delightful open terrace right at the water edge, offering Italian and West Indian cuisine and the “Pirate's Cove” an informal Bar serving lighter fare. Beach bar, water sports (hydro bikes, windsurf, canoe and sunfish) and massage facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind Beach Hotel And Yacht Club
- Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club Canouan, St. Vincent And The Grenadines