If your idea of the Caribbean is going to sleep hearing the ocean, crystal waters and palm trees, this is the place for you! Definitely off the beaten path, it reminds one of the BVIs years ago.
The hotel itself rates 5 stars for the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to be helpful and make your stay a nice one.The front desk staff really go out of their way to accomodate every request. Restaurant and beach staff are great, making every effort to make you feel comfortable.
The rooms have a great low key island feel, with shutters and wood floors. The rooms are right on the beach, with porches for relaxing. (Porch furniture could be a lot more comfortable though.)
The beds are VERY comfortable and perfectly made up, including a daily accent of fresh flowers.
Internet access in the rooms could be a little spotty, but always available in the lobby and on the beach.
That said, I would give the hotel 3.5 stars for the general condition. The bathrooms, while adequate, are overdue for some updating. The fiberglass showers, with shower curtains, are a bit of a letdown in an otherwise nice room. Love the ceiling fans - you don't even need the AC! Overall maintenance of the property could use some work, although the staff works hard at keeping it very neat and clean. Painting of the buildings, sidewalks, landscaping - all could use a little refreshing. The setting, however, is gorgeous, right on the beach of a beautiful bay. The hotel photos are quite accurate.
As far as the food goes,I stayed mostly with the local fresh fish and vegetables. With Italian management, they offer pasta and pizza from a wood oven, as well. While food in the islands is expensive in general, I would say for the price, the quality is just average. The hotel could benefit from a daily happy hour, to attract the sailing crowd in greater numbers, but average around $7.50 US. They do offer some good Italian wines too.
All in all, I had a great stay as a single traveler. It was exactly what I was looking for. Take the time to go out on a boat, as the Grenadines are stunning. Absolutely loved the island - great group of local people, very friendly and hospitable. Go now - it won't be like this for much longer.
I will be back for sure!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club is a lively beachfront oasis with 40 seaside hideaways, surrounded by tropical gardens, on a long white sand beach. The low-rise property features two thatched-roof restaurants/bars: the "Palapa Restaurant", with a delightful open terrace right at the water edge, offering Italian and West Indian cuisine and the “Pirate's Cove” an informal Bar serving lighter fare. Beach bar, water sports (hydro bikes, windsurf, canoe and sunfish) and massage facilities. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tamarind Beach Hotel And Yacht Club
- Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club Canouan, St. Vincent And The Grenadines