“Wonderful Guest House”

Ranked #1 of 2 Stourton B&B and Inns
Midlands
“Wonderful Guest House”
Reviewed October 23, 2012

My friend and I enjoyed a one night stay at this beautiful inn this summer. We shared a twin room which was so spacious it felt like a suite, with huge bathroom and entrance lobby included. The inn is situated in spectacular Stourhead and is perfectly located for exploring this wonderful National Trust property and estate after all the tourists have gone - perfect peace! The food served was oustanding: We had an evening meal on our day of arrival which was wonderful, and breakfast was just too much to eat (I can highly recommend the porridge!). I cannot imagine a more idyllic setting. Thank you, Spread Eagle!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Bath
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Been coming here for quite a few years. Had lunch on a Saturday. Ploughman's with Somerset blue vinny and ham. In short, this was far short of that needed by any ploughman. Came with a mean half a slice of white bread and half a slice of brown, 2 small slices of apple about 1cm thick, a thin triangle of blue vinny and 2 thin slices of ham. The chutney was very wet and pretty tasteless. Side order of chips generous but very dry oven chip texture and taste. Have enjoyed previous visits and have had this very same dish before and previously have been delighted. This time it was not good quality and, for about £12, not good value for money either. This place is in a unique position right next to Stourhead house/gardens and so has no competition and doesn't have to try hard with people queueing for tables most lunch times. Service was ok for us at 1200 but by the time we lift people were waiting over 30mins for even modest plates. So, I would recommend that you stop for lunch on your way here and give this one a miss, I will.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank DaveinBath

Travelers are raving about these Stourton hotels

Plymouth
Reviewed October 10, 2012

We broke our journey form the southwest to Heathrow at the Spread Eagle in Stourhead. This was our second visit. We had been disappointed in the food and room quality first time, but decided to give it another chance. And things started well in that we had room 3, which is one of the largest rooms, and much bigger than the one we had before.
But the scones we had with our cream tea signalled what was ahead (again) - cheap and nasty - the sort you get in packs of 10 from Asda, and the cream and jam was really stingy portions.
We came down for dinner, and the food situation just got worse. My partner had a Wiltshire Rarebit which was awful. If it had been me, I'd have sent it back. Huge slab of bread, not toasted, and so much mustard in the topping you could hardly taste the cheese. I had mussels which were fine. The bread rolls were awful - again, Asda basics - yuk.
Then my partner had a seafood ragout, which was disappointing as well (not his night!). The potatoes were not cooked, and it was quite boring. I had the trout which was much better.
Meanwhile, although it was not late (8.30), the staff were laying up the breakfast tables around us - never a good thing to do, in my opinion!
So we decided to have dessert in our room, away form the clearing up. We ordered a lemon tart and cheese plate. Well, the tart was truly awful - presumably came from the same out of date shelf in Asda as the scones! Really stale and not even a hint of lemon flavour. That was sent back uneaten. And on the cheese plate, they had put some red onion chutney which was really watery, and the juice had run all over the cheese - horrible.
The food prices here are not cheap at all, and they really need to up their game. At these prices you expect much better service and quality. Whenever we complained about anything we were met with a shrug. There didn't seem to be any manager in charge, and I even caught the chef at one point, and he was totally disinterested.
Breakfast was no better - we don't eat meat, so specifically asked for soft poached eggs to go with our tomatoes and mushrooms, and they arrived like rubber balls! Again we sent them back, and they were marginally softer second time round, but we had to wait for ages.
But worst of all was the fact that they tried to fob me off with a cup of instant coffee!! I ordered coffee for one, and instead of a cafetiere, I was brought a cup of what was obviously instant coffee. As someone who never drinks instant, and who loves real coffee, I know the difference, believe me. When I complained, they brought me a cafetiere of good coffee. But how insulting to the intelligence of their guests that they should be so lazy and think they could get away with that!
It was the final straw, so far as I was concerned.
I love Stourhead, and the room was nice. But I'll never go back - the poor food and service ruined what should have been a special visit.
Its a shame this Inn is not owned by the National Trust - the standard would be so much better, I'm sure. Unfortunately, they have a captive audience, since its a long way to go to eat out, and they are really just lazy and obviously couldn't care less. Never again.

Room Tip: Room 3 is a lovely big room with a king size bed.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Veganon
Cape Town
Reviewed October 5, 2012

This gem of an inn is just one of the jewels in the crown of the National Trust's Stourhead estate. The accommodation is simple but comfortable. One or two rooms may have the sound, which is not intrusive, from the bar below. All the facilities are available, television, internet, etc. We have had the pleasure of staying here for a number of years, and never weary of the location in one of England's finest gardens. The varied menu provides meals which are simple but tasty and filling. Above all we have always received the warmest reception and considerate service which are a credit to the whole staff.

Room Tip: Those at the side and the back have good views.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Vyv73
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We were visiting Stourhead and planned to visit here for lunch. Wasn't all that great, we were shown to a table only to be moved to a smaller table, there was 6 of us as well! Doesn't end there, the menu wasn't very good either, not much choice at all. I am very keen on chicken dishes but they had nothing and couldn't do anything for me either so I ended up eating like I was a vegetarian. The parmesan cheese does not go with mushroom risotto at all! The service was awful too, miserable waitresses. Will not return to this pub.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank SLAN24
Brighton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Wonderfull nights sleep, bed so comfy, fantastic food, great staff, so happy and helpful, the gardens of stourhead are out of this world, take your walking boots as you will not want to leave but want to walk around them over and over, finding yet another hiden folly or view you missed the first time round.

Room Tip: Book early as theyonly have guest rooms, the stake is the best I have tried, have the english breakf...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Jewels49
Devon
Reviewed September 2, 2012

On a rare sunny Sunday we stopped off here with friends purely by chance as we saw the outside tables whilst driving past. Lovely location in an old courtyard and sensible round tables seating six plus with shady parasols. Drinks and basic "pub grub" though was very much on the expensive side but the sandwiches were huge so we cheated and shared (with a side order of chips). The ham was local, off the bone, and delicious and the brie and chutney of an equal standard, so no complaints there. Our beers and soft drinks though were at London prices such that our friend had to question their bill for a coke and orange juice. I don't mind paying top prices for top food and service but this is place is just a "country pub" - maybe because it is part of a National trust property the landlords think they can charge over the top.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lord_Brett_Sinclair
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stourton
Holbrook House Hotel
#2 of 2 in Mere
The Butt of Sherry
The Butt of Sherry
#21 of 24 in Warminster

Been to Spread Eagle Inn? Share your experiences!