“Amazing Food, Fantastic Service, Great Value!”
Review of The Red Lion

The Red Lion
Reserve with OpenTable
The Red Lion is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Pub, Grill
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Red Lion is nestled in the peaceful, idyllic village of East Haddon, surrounded by picturesque Northamptonshire countryside, just a few miles from Northampton. We are handily placed with ready access and egress from the major Motorway routes M1, M6, A14 & A1 being all within easy reach. Our warm and cosy pub boasts an intimate lounge area, large dining room & manicured gardens making it a great place either as a hideaway from the cold winter’s weather or somewhere to quietly luxuriate in the warm glow of a Summer's day.
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Had an amazing meal here on Saturday night for my partners Birthday! 6 of us were sat in the lounge area next to the lovely big fireplace.
It took a little time to get our table ready, although this didn't bother us too much, we were treated to a round of drinks on the house which was a nice touch.
The food was absolutely amazing and none of us could fault it. The bill was also very very reasonable!
I'm already thinking about revisiting! If you haven't been you really must try it!

Reviewed November 30, 2013

My wife and I had a meal there earlier this cold winters evening.

Lovely atmosphere, real English pub restaurant feel - and I don't mean a chain.

Fantastic prompt service. The waitress wentb out of her way to ensure something did not have nuts and actually it had almonds - so a trip to A & E avoided there straight away.

Delicious food - couldn't fit desert. Must try harder next time!

Good place for a nice romantic meal or a family. It is a hotel too so I bet that would be nice.

Would recommend.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

Took my mum to celebrate her birthday. We were well looked after and had a great meal. Everyone enjoyed their food and the staff were very helpful and attentive. There were a couple of other big groups there celebrating birthdays so it did get a bit noisy in the restaurant. We didn't have to wait for our food though and everything was fine. We've eaten here several times over the years, some good and some not so good, with changes in management, but the current management seems to have it about right.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We attended the Red Lion last Saturday night to celebrate my husband's birthday. We live locally, but hadn't been to the restaurant for some years. We are lucky that in the immediate area, we are spoiled for good food.

We arrived a few minutes before our 7.15pm booking and our feet didn't touch the ground before we were rushed to our table. No one offered to take our coats and we were not offered the opportunity to order a drink prior to going through.

The menu was varied and the food, we cannot deny, was excellent. The whole experience of evening however was thoroughly spoiled by the speed of the service. As soon as our knives and forks went together, our plates were whipped away and the next course served. At one point, the waitress attempted to take away my wine glass before I had even finished the contents!

It is clear the restaurant double books the tables and that was evident by the amount of times the seats were refilled before they were even cold! Had we known this was the case when booking, we would have chosen somewhere else locally for our celebration. Our evening at the Red Lion lasted a grand total of 1 hour and half. When I book a restaurant for a meal, I do expect to be able to enjoy the evening and not feel rushed through to the point where I feel completely unwelcome.

In addition to the service, the restaurant area where we were seated was extremely noisy. The floors and walls are all bare, which does make things accoustically difficult. This was not helped by a large party of 20 or so people arriving part way through our meal. Not exactly the kind of ambiance for a birthday dinner for two.

It is a shame, because as I said, the food was excellent, but for us a meal out is about more than the food and the whole experience left us very much disappointed and on that basis, it is not an establishment we would recommend to friends.

JoeBuckey1, Owner at The Red Lion, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2013

Dear Clare.

Thank you very much for spending the time to post this review. We are all very sorry you did not enjoy your experience with us at the Red Lion as we are very passionate about the quality of our food and proud of our efficient service, but it seems we may have fallen short with your table.

We do push our staff to offer an efficient level of service for one reason only which is to maintain standards of food and make sure that everyone receives everything that they ask of us. This is a standard that I hope you will receive on a fully booked Saturday night, but also on a quiet Monday lunch. The Red Lion is a busy, family run pub that try’s very hard with their food but a formal fine dining experience we are not, the atmosphere we try to create is a bustling brassiere style operation, filled with personality.

I would love the opportunity to discuss this with you further and address your complaint personally, we would hate the thought that we may have lost a potential regular customer. I can be contacted by phone on 01604 770223.

I do hope we can talk soon.

Kind regards.

Nick Bonner
(Owner)

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Great food with nice atmosphere as it was very busy, well worth a visit. Up there with the best pub food i've eaten in Northants. I'm looking forward to visiting again.