“Brilliant budget hotel.”
Review of Shelford Lodge

Shelford Lodge
Reviewed October 31, 2013

after reading some reviews I was sceptical about staying at that shelford lodge. However, from past experience I have learnt to generally take reviews with a pinch of salt and in this case i was glad I did. The staff were welcoming and showed us where all they amenities were. There was no-one on the front desk however a large sign asking for a number to be called was clearly visable and someone arrived promptly, I feel that this was fair for a small, local hotel. The rooms were lovely. Basic, yea but there was nothing wrong with them. Very large and comfortable bed with fresh sheets. The ensuite was small but fully equipped and working perfectly. This hotel has FREE Wi-Fi and television services and breakfast is included with your stay. My only problem was the early checkout time as we only stayed for one night. However, it wasn't exceptionally early at 10am a lie in wwould just have been nice! Unfortunatly because we were packing we missed breakfast however there is always cereals available which was fine by us. 24 hour coffee/tea/hot chocolate and squash which was a pleasant bonus. There is a well equipped dining room which has two massive fridges. These were for if we wanted to bring our own food inot the building, he also suggested we could eat a takeaway in this area! (lots of places are funny about food being brought in..) nice friendly pub . Five minute walk away. Not in the centre but a very short drice away and a bus stop right on your doorstop. For the price I paid I wouof definitly stay again!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank hedgy95

Reviewed October 19, 2013

This place is great value. OK, much like Marilyn Monroe this place can't hide it's roots. It's an ex retirement home, but that really doesn't matter. The rooms are basic but clean and tidy and the beds are comfortable. Breakfast is self service and the more you look the more food you will find. I've stayed here five times and found it brilliant for access to Cambridge, Safrron Walden or northwards to the Fens. It's a base, it's not a place to hang around all day, but if you want that go into Cambridge and pay three times the price.
I have doubts the previous two reviews were genuine but one note on the shared facilities....Yes they are basic, but they are functional and clean., Any grievance I have would be against the nature of fellow guest who treat and leave the facilities badly, but that's some humans nature and no fault of the staff.
Final note: The manager is a lovely guy.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I gave it 1 star just because you cant give zero or even better negative rating.

I came there only because I confused my booking in another (decent) place and have to find something quickly in the night.

The shared facilities looks like they didn't clean them since the great war. Towels were smelly, beds uncomfortable etc.

The staff is confused (the guy actually seemed drunk).

The breakfast is possible to eat if you have low enough standards.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank cevoraj
ShelfordLodge, Manager at Shelford Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2013

We take every review very seriously; we do not think this is a genuine review as it does not reflect the true picture of value Shelford Lodge offers to its customers. We are a budget accommodation, majority of our guests are satisfactory; they enjoy our continental and Mediterranean breakfast and find us good value for money.
We wonder if this person ever stayed with us !

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Probably the worst "hotel" I have ever stayed in. Weird staff, smelly room, dirty shared bathroom. The walls were so thin that if you are not really tired, you can forget about a good sleep. At breakfast table bins were placced around the (extremely small) room at the floor as the roof was leaking. And you can pay only by cash.

2  Thank kapuletova

We offer customers to pay through online banking or pay by card while booking online.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

The room was not as advertised!
The beds in the picture were side by side, the ones in the room were end to end and the room was less than half the size. I doubt you even have rooms such as the one advertised!
The room smelled like a retirement home, I even sprayed deodorant and opened the window to mask the smell
There was no vanity unit in our room (which had been advertised as being in all rooms)
There were dirty tissues in our cupboard
There were no extra pillows in the rooms
The room was not (despite being advertised) finished well, there were chips out of all furniture and misfitted doors and fittings on everything.
There was no coffee and tea making facilities in the room, and when I was showed where to make tea and coffee, I found it to be less than hygienic!
There was no hot water (from tap or shower) for a shower in the morning
When we got to breakfast, the roof was leaking, it was self serve, (of which my breakfast came to a grand total of 50p)
The tables still had crumbs/dirt on them from whoever was before us.
The lady on at breakfast was less than polite to my wife when she asked where the cutlery was kept.

This is the very worst hotel I have ever stayed in, and that includes youth hostels.

This was especially galling because it was a treat for my pregnant wife who was tired from being in the middle of a second four full day stint at uni, while having to travel back and forth to Ipswich! On top of that, they were suspiciously unavailable when people were leaving, choosing instead to have their phone set to answer-phone rather than speak to people!

If you think this is harsh, believe me when I say, I am being very polite!

Room Tip: Do not go here!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Phil B
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I've been in this lodge for 20 days and I felt at home!
The value for money is EXCELLENT!
The staff is super sympathetic, friendly, helpful and very professional.
Never lack anything and I'm very thankful for that.
I really appreciate everyone! ;)
BREAKFAST IS GREAT

Room Tip: Room nº6 was my for 20 days, awsome.
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Booked this place as others in area were full - I wish I had looked further away.
There were shared facilities - the toilet had run out of paper and there were no hand drying machines or paper for hands either.
The shared shower room had dirty rug and was generally dated
The bed was lumpy although to be fair we were provided with a clean room although it was very dated.The bedding and towels were clean.
It was an old people home before and very little by way of improvement has taken place - I feel sorry for the poor souls who spent their last days here.
Its fine for a worker on a very tight budget but dont think about gaining any pleasure from staying here
The other people who have given this a poor rating have been fair
The proprietors seem friendly enough but this place needs a lot of hard effort and money to bring it up to standard.

1  Thank DagenhamDave53
#2 of 3 in Trumpington
Anstey Hall
Anstey Hall
#1 of 3 in Trumpington

Been to Shelford Lodge? Share your experiences!