“Disappointment at Shelford Lodge”
Review of Shelford Lodge

Shelford Lodge
auckland
“Disappointment at Shelford Lodge”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Decided to stay here after reading various unflatering reviews of other places to stay in Cambridge but after my stay I have to say I am quite amazed at some of the other positive reviews of this establishment and wonder if some of these people actually stayed at the same place as me.The only other explanation is that others standards and expectations are totally different to mine.
I came here for a 2 night stay specifically to attend the Duxford spring airshow, Duxford being relatively close to Cambridge.For anyone wanting to go to a Duxford airshow it would mean a taxi fare unless one took a bus trip to town first and then another to the airfield, a pain to say the least.
As far as location to Cambridge is concerned it was a 25 minute bus trip from the railway station and the buses dont exactly go frequently. For anyone wanting accomodation central to Cambridge attractions this would not be a good choice.
I was booked for a single room and it certainly lived up to its name in this regard.Smallish would be an understatement. Bed was not at all comfortable[small even for a single] and you literally hit the wall if you rolled over. Light slab of a cover is all you got as a sheet etc.Sleep quality was accordingly not the best.Room was not cleaned or rubbish emptyed each day and the shared bathroom was only just bearable. Shower extremely small and toilet dirty -in fact leaking on one occasion . Totally unacceptable in a place for the public to stay. First and foremost toilet and bathroom cleanliness is a .prerequsite -period!!!
Breakfast was only just OK with not a great selection but also one of my pet hates is for the host to be continually hovering around near guest tables and the breakfast bar and this was the case here.The lady host was not especially welcoming or even friendly. In most B&B's the owners have organised breakfast and then left guests to their privacy as it should be.
Overall my impression was that this estabishment badly needs a major overhaul,even then its location would stand against it. Having stayed at 100's of hotels and B&B's over many years of travelling this one would be definitely be in my bottom 10%.

Room Tip: Not easy to assist here as the room I had was only just acceptable,on the top floor and I have nothi...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank kiwiflyer65
ShelfordLodge, Manager at Shelford Lodge, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
We take every genuine complain very seriously, we do our best endeavor to rectify it and deal with the complaint as a high priority. We invite our potential guests to have a look at our statistics and majority of reviews where they could have a true reflection of the value that Shelford lodge stands for.

Unfortunately a small minority of guests have already made up their mind even before they place a foot in the lodge for various reasons ???????!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Baden
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Shelford Lodge is a convenient and nice B&B, very well situated when you intend visiting Cambridge. Very friendly welcome from the owner, making you feel really comfortable. Our room was simple but clean and functional. You get good quality at small budget price! My husband and I would certainly stay again at Shelford Lodge should we return to Cambridge.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Auch, France
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Our room was clean & comfortable, if a little small, breakfast was very good & varid, the owner was very friendly & infomative, dont take to much notice of the entry, this is not your normal hotel (see how much they cost in Cambridge)! This is a good accomadation, good value, including free, all day tea, coffee & wi-fi.

Room Tip: Have the rooms with the en-suite worth the extra.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed May 24, 2013

The owner was not welcoming at all. I was greeted with a frowned expression. He just rudely told me that I could not check in before 2:00 p.m. He told me if I arrived so early (10:00a.m.), I " "should" have booked the room for the previous night. This way he could let us check in now. What an useful advice. I knew beforehand that I could not check in early and he could have told me that straight forward and cut the crap about paying more or what I should do.

I asked if I could sit in the breakfast area for a while to wait for my friend, as there is no such thing as a lobby on the ground floor. Then he became angry again and started to educate me, "You want to sit in the breakfast area? Then what about the people who want to have breakfast? Where are they going to sit? If everyone is like you, come early and sit in the breakfast area, then the people cannot have breakfast!" Well, if the breakfast area was so small or crowded that it could not accommodate an average size girl, he could have told me politely. I have never been insulted by anyone like this for twenty years of life.

At 7:00p.m., we returned to the hostel but mistakenly rang the bell, the woman on duty appeared and was outrageous about it. Later we asked her if they could call a taxi tomorrow morning for us but she refused. Luckily a resident living nearby was kind enough to do so for us.

At night we were locked inside the room as the lock was too rusty that it could not be opened. Our neighbour went down stairs in order to get the help from the hostel staff but no one showed up. Eventually we had to throw the key from under the room door so that our neighbour could open the lock from outside.

All the hostel staff were Spanish and they could not speak English well. The woman on duty at night was especially bad in English. If you have any problem, especially at night, pray to god. I am sure god would respond to your request faster than they do.

We stayed in a double room on the first floor. The room was basic and wifi worked well in the room. If we were not locked inside, we would have a much more peaceful night.

There were two bathrooms on the first floor. The bigger one near the stairs was much better in terms of facilities.

Wifi does not work in the morning but resume at night. Breakfast was fine, with boiled eggs, sandwich, ham, cheese, milk and fruits.

Location was far from city centre. You have to take the citi 7 run by stagecoach and the bus stop was just within one minute walk from the hostel. However, the bus does not run in the early morning on Sunday. So if you are catching an early train in the morning like us, you have to call a cab. Make sure you have a local phone card or the roaming service is on, as the staff may be reluctant to call the cab for you.

In conclusion, this hostel does have some advantages: cheap, free wifi, complimentary breakfast. If you are lucky enough to be free from any problems, and staff attitude is nothing to you, it could be a fair choice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Wtever

Travelers are raving about these Great Shelford hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I have been staying for a few weeks in this B&B and I must say that the atmosphere is extremely friendly and positive. Omar, the owner, has been always generous and helpful in finding a last minute solution while travelling from London - the area is very quite, green and relaxing - in 10 minutes by car you can be downtown, and in 3 minutes on the M11 - balancing the price with the expectations, I think you find here more that what you can expect. The breakfast is rich, with a wide-range of fruit, eggs, coffee, tea, confitures, bread, muessly, various types of corn flakes - you cannot expect more on this side. The wifi works perfectly, in some rooms you have a flat screen tv, various bathrooms and showers - but above all you can rely on the organisation and the support of the owners (I had a problem with my car and Omar arranged an appointment with the mechanic after a long day of work!) - so definetively a good location for people on business trip or for a short vacation in Cambridge!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank pier c
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 21, 2013

Shelford Lodge is located just outside Cambridge city, on a bus route and with good off-street parking. There is a Waitrose Supermarket within walking distance, next to Trumpington Park and Ride. Because of its convenient position it attracts a wide range of visitors, including Monday-to-Friday workmen for the south Cambridge building developments.

There are also a number of regular guests who are able to take advantage of the convenient and free Conservatory drinks-making and basic ccoking facilities. With plates and cutlery available throughout the day and evenings, it's possible too to eat a bought Take-Away here in comfort.

The rooms are clean, sheets are ironed and crisp white, and the towels are deep pile. Rooms have chairs and tables / desks and useful hanging / wardrobes.

With the owner's attention to service, friendly staff, a very generous Breakfast Buffet included and with the Lodge providing a "home from home", anyone looking for very good value accommodation on the Cambridge outskirts should consider Shelford Lodge.

Note: Shelford Lodge was previously a Nursing Home. It has well furnished bedrooms on three floors, and for the rooms without en-suite facilities there are ample (and spacious) shower rooms /WCs. There is also a small lift. Acccess after midnight is by key only.

Room Tip: A First Floor room (if available) will be closer to the Conservatory / Breakfast Room .. Bear in min...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
london
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I have stayed in the lodge numerous times on and off over last 6 months n will do in the coming year. Rooms are nice n clean. Free wifi. Coffee n tea 24/7. Free on-site parking. Breakfast included. Access to microwave.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Ibis Cambridge Central Station
Ayah Villa
Ayah Villa
#2 of 3 in Trumpington

Been to Shelford Lodge? Share your experiences!