“Food & drink was outstanding as expected.”
Review of The Cricketers

The Cricketers
Ranked #1 of 1 Clavering B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I was treated to a night away at the Cricketers by my wife. Being a huge fan of Jamie Oliver and pubs in general, I thought I was onto a winner. And a winner it was indeed. Managed to time our arrival with the start of the Saturday lunch service (anyone would thought we planned it).

Although all of the tables were set for food, the place still retained that 'pub' ethos. You were given the same welcome whether you were having a few drinks or someone opting for a three-course lunch. Service finished at 2.30pm after which the pub literally emptied. I was the only customer for about an hour which was a little odd but it gave me a chance to chat to the nice bar staff.

Our room was also a good advert for the place. Set within the old Pavilion house, we had a four poster bed, superbly clean throughout, it had the 'country living' feel about it but without being too dated. All the usual amenities you would need; TV, hairdryer, tea/coffee making facilities etc etc. You'll see from the ratings below that I 'Sleep Quality' a low mark. This was purely on the fact that someone in the next room was snoring so loud that I thought someone was murdering a wild boar. Nothing to do with the room itself.

We had booked a table in the pub's restaurant area for the evening although there doesn't really seem to be any clear distinction between this and the main bar area. One thing I managed to pick up from my chat with the staff is that the pub is only really geared up for food these days and the large number of staff on hand certainly reflected that. I would go as far to say that everyone I saw that evening were there to eat rather than as drinkers.

The food itself was outstanding, fresh, local (where possible) and damn tasty. The floor staff were helpful without being overbearing, even suggesting suitable wines to compliment our chosen dishes. If I had one quibble, it was that my steak was probably a touch over-cooked but to be honest, if that's the only thing I had to worry about then I'm happy. I could have chose to complain and have it sent back but decided to chat with my wife and enjoy the meal all the same.

I've seen mixed reviews on here about the place and opted to keep an open mind prior to our trip. It's a country pub. It's a country pub that serves food, and good food at that. Treat it as such and you'll enjoy the experience a whole lot more.

1  Thank LeeW78

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Good food, some interesting speacials across the menu, Good and friendly service throughout and a roaring log fire to sit by at the end of the night to keep out the cold! Thank you another enjoyable and relaxed evening in a lovely setting.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Booked a one night b and b stay through Laterooms, then booked dinner direct with The Cricketers.
Nice, cosy room in the Courtyard. Warm and snug on arrival - needed as the weather was cold and windy when we arrived. We did find the mattress a little too soft for our liking , but that's just personal choice. Room and bathroom spotlessly clean.
Good choice of dishes on the menu and we were both pleased with our choices. Our waitress, Denise, was chatty, friendly and most helpful. She clearly enjoyed her work.. Good breakfast(full English) with good strong coffee. Friendly service here too. Didn't get the names of the staff but one lady was Danish and the other had fab wacky specs!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband, 18 month old daughter and I went for lunch at the Cricketers today (Easter Bank Holiday) and left feeling very disappointed and will not be returning again in a hurry.
Here is a summary of a rather unpleasant 1 1/2 hours;

- We were greeted by an abrupt middle-aged lady (maitre d'? who was also our waitress)
- Our table was between the toilets and the main entrance. As expected, it was fully booked so we had traffic opening and closing the door to the side of us aswell as people constantly back and forth to the toilets behind us.
- The menu was very uninspiring
- After ordering, the waitress returned to our table and advised my husband that his menu choice was no longer available so he chose another dish
- We waited for over half an hour for our meal
- When the meal arrived, I was served my husbands original choice and he was served his second choice. It was infact my meal which was no longer available. The waitress could only apologise and said If I wanted another option I would have to wait another half an hour for it to be cooked.
- There was a hair in our vegetable side dish
- We couldnt even bring ourselves to wait around for pudding and promtly paid and left. There was no discount applied to the bill or offer of desert or in fact any decent form of customer service given that I had been served and paid full price for a meal that I hadn't even chosen which was served to me due to a staff error.
- The highchair provided for my daughter looked like a contraption from the middle ages.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank BuddersandAnders
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We stayed again this year as part of the annual special offer and we are never disappointed. Great staff (front of house gentleman lovely!), great food, lovely rooms! We have always been a little disappointed with the desserts but I am pleased to see a new menu and more on offer! Pasta dishes are a must for a starter complimented by a great wine menu!

Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed April 1, 2013

5 of us had Easter lunch at The Cricketers. We were very disappointed with the food, especially
the main courses. Two of us ordered lemon sole, it was over cooked, mushy and not very fresh.
We complained to the waitress, she spoke to the chef but not a very convincing explanation was given to us.
I am a chef myself and I understand about food freshness.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank gipi10
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went for lunch on good friday with high expectations, the food was good with excellent pies but it was only good, I was expecting excellent pub food, not bog standard pub food , although the pies were great. The man who answers the booking phone must be the same miserable man who greets you at the till when you arrive. Why someone who clearly doesn't like people is on the front line baffles me, he muttered under his breath twice, the problem is I heard him both times! on the flip side the waitresses were nice and helpful. Would we go back , no its OK.... but not great

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jack C
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clavering
The Cricketers' Arms
#3 of 3 in Saffron Walden
Warner's Farm Bed & Breakfast
Warner's Farm Bed & Breakfast
#4 of 12 in Saffron Walden

Been to The Cricketers? Share your experiences!