“We were once advocates but after today will not be going back” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Cricketers

The Cricketers
Ranked #1 of 1 Clavering B&B and Inns
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“We were once advocates but after today will not be going back”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

My husband, 18 month old daughter and I went for lunch at the Cricketers today (Easter Bank Holiday) and left feeling very disappointed and will not be returning again in a hurry.
Here is a summary of a rather unpleasant 1 1/2 hours;

- We were greeted by an abrupt middle-aged lady (maitre d'? who was also our waitress)
- Our table was between the toilets and the main entrance. As expected, it was fully booked so we had traffic opening and closing the door to the side of us aswell as people constantly back and forth to the toilets behind us.
- The menu was very uninspiring
- After ordering, the waitress returned to our table and advised my husband that his menu choice was no longer available so he chose another dish
- We waited for over half an hour for our meal
- When the meal arrived, I was served my husbands original choice and he was served his second choice. It was infact my meal which was no longer available. The waitress could only apologise and said If I wanted another option I would have to wait another half an hour for it to be cooked.
- There was a hair in our vegetable side dish
- We couldnt even bring ourselves to wait around for pudding and promtly paid and left. There was no discount applied to the bill or offer of desert or in fact any decent form of customer service given that I had been served and paid full price for a meal that I hadn't even chosen which was served to me due to a staff error.
- The highchair provided for my daughter looked like a contraption from the middle ages.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank BuddersandAnders

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed again this year as part of the annual special offer and we are never disappointed. Great staff (front of house gentleman lovely!), great food, lovely rooms! We have always been a little disappointed with the desserts but I am pleased to see a new menu and more on offer! Pasta dishes are a must for a starter complimented by a great wine menu!

Stayed March 2013
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

5 of us had Easter lunch at The Cricketers. We were very disappointed with the food, especially
the main courses. Two of us ordered lemon sole, it was over cooked, mushy and not very fresh.
We complained to the waitress, she spoke to the chef but not a very convincing explanation was given to us.
I am a chef myself and I understand about food freshness.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank gipi10
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We went for lunch on good friday with high expectations, the food was good with excellent pies but it was only good, I was expecting excellent pub food, not bog standard pub food , although the pies were great. The man who answers the booking phone must be the same miserable man who greets you at the till when you arrive. Why someone who clearly doesn't like people is on the front line baffles me, he muttered under his breath twice, the problem is I heard him both times! on the flip side the waitresses were nice and helpful. Would we go back , no its OK.... but not great

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jack C
Hertfordshire, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

The first time it was nice and the second time it was even better. I cannot fault the menu choice, quality or service. It has a good wine selection to compliment it all. You need to remember it is still a pub serving good food at reasonable prices.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hertfordshire, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2013

These are restauarant reviews. We came as a mature family group of 4, just before Christmas. The place was packed but everyone was friendly and efficient, and the food came quite quickly. However when a big party came in about 45mins later the service undestandably slowed down, but as we were there for a long even9ng of chatter and food it did not matter and was in any case understandable. The food? The other 2 younger ones live in London, and they were really happy with the food (believe me they would have said if they were not, and they eat well in London). All in all an really good evening that we enjoyed.

Lat night just the two of us dined, this time in the bar. Really quiet on a cold wet Thursday so the place was very quiet but enough people dining in the bar to give atmosphere, food and winev and service excellent, nice oog fire and a truly excellent evening

no comment on rooms or breakfast!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
      Location
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Cleanliness
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

What has happened to The Cricketers? We have eaten here on and off for 15 years or so and over the last year the standard has plummeted. It was once a quality pub that served wholesome food, then went through a pretentious stage and has now lost its way. I think the kitchen must have had a change of chef, the menu reads well but does not deliver. On our last visit my venision portion was small, tough and tasteless (but one of the most expensive things on the menu) which was served with red cabbage. When my side order of vegetables arrived, that too had red cabbage - no thought process there. The carrots looked like they had been reheated and were just terrible, at least the cauliflower was tasty. The chips were anaemic and underdone. The chef doesn't seem to push himself/herself, the desserts are almost all pre-done, tarts, meringues, creme brulees, etc. The vegetables are nearly alway the same, the chips are never peeled, probably for quickness. I remember the days when they had baked alaska, green thai curry, prawn tempura with chilli sauce - something different. Up until recently it has been the norm that even though we have been patronising The Cricketers for 15 years, most of the waitressing staff have worn a surly and unwelcoming face for us, but over the last 3 months or so a forced smile has been pasted on when greeting us, doubtless due to the comments that have appeared on trip advisor. This place needs new management, a new chef or perhaps the owner needs to be more hands on. Either way, we are sad to have made the decision to avoid The Cricketers after all these years - enough chances have been given. Such a shame.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JamesDean99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clavering
The Cricketers' Arms
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
The Varsity Hotel & Spa
#1 of 36 in Cambridge
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,189 reviews

Been to The Cricketers? Share your experiences!