“Beautiful, authentic experience with fantastic service.”

Hacienda Santa Rosa, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Santa Rosa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maxcanu
Reviewed April 23, 2009

I can't say enough about this place. My girlfriend and I just spent 5 nights here and we had a wonderful experience. The Hacienda is beautiful, and authentic unlike any other hotel we've ever seen. The service is FABULOUS....they are very friendly, courteous, and always looking for any way to make your stay better. For instance, they prepared a surprise for us on our last night, setting up a trail of lanterns and flower petals down a path from the terrace restaurant to the garden where they had set up a table for us under a beautiful tree. The food is fantastic, with authentic Mayan influences, and the waiters love to describe the traditional ingredients and modes of preparation for each dish, flower arrangement, whatever it may be that you find around the grounds.

The town around the Hacienda is poverty stricken, and I'll admit is sad to drive through. However, the Haciendas of the region started an initiative for sustainable tourism and community development, providing employment, training, medical services, microcredit, etc., to the poor Mayan towns of the region. The Haciendas, it seemed to us, are doing the most of anyone to help these people who have been oppressed for hundreds of years. Seeing how much the Haciendas help the people of the town only made us happier to stay there, knowing that our patronage was helping this initiative. You will also have the ability to buy great, handmade Mayan crafts.

When you go, buy a travel guide to the Yucatan to find all of the great activities of the region. You will want to rent a car, and go to the Mayan ruins, cenotes (underground caves you swim in - magical), and colonial towns.

Get a room with a terrace if you can!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 29, 2009

I stayed at Santa Rosa two years ago and I am returning at Christmas time this year. I loved it. Especially the excellent management, the helpful staff, and, of course, my horse, Camilla who would take me back to my room everytime after a ride. She was very gentle with a very novice rider. One evening dinner was set up outdoors under the stars. It was magical.

I was travelling by myself, and the resident manager, Cesar, went out of his way to arrange interesting activities for me. Its that thoughtfullness that has made me look foreward to my return. The various haciendas in the Yucatan now have a package deal with includes transportation between haciendas, some side trips, and some meals. Its a good deal in my opinion for a first class experience.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed March 28, 2009

My wife and I spent a week at the Hacienda last summer using Starwood points. As an SPG Platinum member, we were upgraded to the best suite among the 11 rooms on the property. I thought the trip was perfect, but I was looking for rustic luxury and solitude as far away from tourists as possible. If you want to get away and experience an authentic Yucatecan plantation this is the place. We were treated fabulously from before the trip started . The staff helped organize delivery of a rental car to the Hacienda, a late night airport pick-up, and many day trips during our stay. However, recognize this place for what it is. If you want a bunch of family friendly beach activities or hard-drinking and partying, go to Cancun. HSR is in the midst of Santa Rosa village about half way between Merida and Puerto Campeche. Santa Rosa is a very tiny village of perhaps a couple hundred people whose livelyhood revolves around the Hacienda, which was once a sisal plantation. The food is fantastic, if you like fresh, simple dishes made with local ingredients grown on the plantation grounds. The turkeys that run around the gardens might well make it into dinner. The executive chef trained at a 2 star Michelin restaurant in Spain and was a complete gem. After a tour of the old kitchen and watching some traditional cooking methods, he and the staff made us a special, multip-course meal served by candle-light in the gardens. If it is available, try the pibil, the which is an almost ritualistic meal. Everyone working in the Hacienda and those that we met in the village were exeedlingly warm--I felt like I was a guest among friends. In fact, most of the time, there were no more than two or three other couples on the property. The location is good if you're adventurous. Uxmal (about 45 minutes drive) is perhaps the best site on the Yucatan and far, far better than Chichen Itza. Because you can wander through acres of pyramids unmolested. Chichen Itza is amazing, but so crowded with tourists and hustlers than the experience is diminished. I also recommend the smaller ruins at Oxikintoc which are a short drive from HSR. After a four mile drive down a gravel road into the jungle, I found myself completely alone among the ruins, other than the old man who took my 25 pesos for admission. Climbing to the tops of the pyramids here, you can see nothing but jungle with occaisonal pyramids poking through to the horizon in every direction. Nearby are some spectacular grutas (caves). For an experienced caver, bring some gear and hire a guide for 100 pesos. There is no safety equipment here, just a giant hole that extends many kilometers and still has some archeolgoical features remaining.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark_in_Durham
Reviewed March 5, 2009

This is a beautiful and relaxing place to stay. It is small, isolated and provides very personal service. It is very definitely not a resort, which is one of the reasons we chose to stay here. A car is an essential requirement. We stayed three nights, when the weather was very disappointing, yet there was plenty to keep us occupied.

Cesar and his team provide discrete but attentive service. Most of the staff are locals but that is part of the charm, and indeed the philosophy, of the hotel. The menu is limited, but the kitchen are willing to rustle up other dishes on request.

The rooms are simply furnished, in keeping with the hacienda. Do not come expecting this to be a Marriott or a resort hotel like you find in Cancun - this is very much a period property and the furnishing and the service reflect this. But if you want to live the life of a hacienda owner at the turn of the 20th century for a few days, then this place is hard to beat.

I wa

Reviewed January 18, 2009

We have just returned from a two week holiday in Mexico, the first 6 days spent at the Hotel Esencia near the Playa del Carmen, then on to Hacienda Chichen Itza with the last 6 days spent at the Hacienda Santa Rosa. We weren't sure quite what to expect, but we were very pleasantly surprised by Hacienda Santa Rosa. It's a bit out of the way, and the village of Santa Rosa is small, and clearly poor, but as we discovered, quite typical of the area, and better than many other villages we passed through.
The Hacienda itself has been tastefully restored / refurbished, and even when it was baking hot there was always a cool, shady spot somewhere. Our room / villa was spotlessly clean, and had plenty of room. But what really made our stay special was the air of calm about the place, and the truly exceptionally good service we enjoyed. We had forgotten our driving licenses, and yet with the help of the Hacienda's manager, Cesar we rented a car from Merida, and the Hacienda provided Felipe as our driver for 5 days. Felipe not only drove us everywhere, he acted as our tour guide as well. From our experience he was probably the best, certainly safest driver on the roads ! The service at Santa Rosa was excellent and so much better than that at Hacienda Chichen Itza and overall, better that at the Hotel Esencia. The food was also very good, and Santa Rosa was so flexible in that you could have your meals whenever and wherever you wanted. Nothing was too much trouble for Edgar and the team who were very attentive but in a nice, discreet manner. We had booked on a room only basis, but the meals were very good, freshly cooked / prepared and really very good value compared especially with Esencia who were expensive, and priced everything in US$ compared with Santa Rosa who priced in Pesos. We would hesitate to stay again at the Esencia but would not hesitate to stay again at the Santa Rosa. Whilst driving around, we went to Campeche and looked around the sister hacienda there, the Hacienda Puerto Campeche, which we also liked the look of. It had a good feel, and has the advantage of being on the edge of the town, within a few minutes of the centre. So, on a future visit we might travel around more, staying at Campeche and other sister haciendas, perhaps, the Hacienda San Jose. We would absolutely stay again at Santa Rosa. It is more suited to couples than to young families, and whilst it may be more isolated than some other luxury haciendas the quality of accommodation, calm and excellent service made it for us.

1  Thank jsyfitzs
Reviewed January 14, 2009

This hacienda has been restored beautifully as a small hotel. The restorers have kept all of the original character, so don't expect shining chrome and white tiles: you get wooden beams, terracotta tiles and sometimes peeling plaster. We loved this but it might not be everyone's idea of luxury. The grounds are also gorgeous - lots of secret places to sit. Wandering around the garden was a pleasure.
We disagree completely with another reviewer who says there is nothing to do here. There are any number of pretty villages with old haciendas and several imposing Mayan ruins within easy striking distance. You can also get to Campeche for a day, which is a very pretty old Colonial town by the sea (it is a UNESCO world heritage site, enough said). What you do need, though, is a car. We hired a jeep and were very happy for 6 nights here.
Our only criticisms are about the food and service, and here we do agree with other reviewers. The food is OK but not varied or interesting enough. We were very bored of it by the time we left. The service is well meaning but blundering and we were very surprised that the hotel ran out of some basics like tea bags and fresh milk.
Overally, this place lacks sophisticated management but it is very charming . Come here for beautiful surroundings in a fascinating area and relax about the rest.

2  Thank How2UK
Reviewed January 13, 2009

We travelled around the Yucatan peninsular - and arrived on New Years Day our fourth day in Mexico from Playa Del Carmen. After the hustle and bustle of Playa (which could be anywhere on the Costa del Sol) it was a breath of fresh air to arrive at the Hacienda. Yes, it is remote, but it is authentic Mexico, it is the country side, so yes you drive through a small village with dogs, and children running along side the car etc. - it made me laugh to read the other review - that he found this offensive?? What you mean there were actually Mexican's living in a Mexican village - can you imagine!

I went with my mother and daughter - and although there were no other children of her age there she (my 4 year old) loved it... We had an enormous room, with a beautiful bathroom and our own garden with a little plunge pool which ran hot and cold water (which my daughter spent hours and hours in) It felt very 'old Mexico' so yes, it's not the four season's, but yes, it feels very true to the original traditions of 'Hacienda's. The food was not cheap - but no where in Mexico is the food cheap -it was the same price as in Playa del Carmen and considerably nicer. They made an effort to accommodate my daughter and were absolutely charming. We stayed for 2 nights and on the first morning went horse riding - which my daughter loved, we went through the village and then around the estate (which is not that big). We had our own transport (which I would recommend as it gives you freedom) and visited a few of the other villages in the area - which was interesting and again was more like the Mexico you imagine that other tourist resorts. We walked through the village outside of the hacienda and a local woman showed us how to make tortilla's and gave us a handful (for free) which we then took back to the hacienda and ate with fresh guacamole which was fab.

So yes, this is not a resort - nor des it pertain to be - it is a very beautiful, sophisticated and charming hotel. The staff are very kind ad attentive and I think they act on discretion rather than being 'in your face' about the service. If you want something (a drink at the pool) it is pretty easy to walk the 5 feet to reception and request it.

It is not that easy to find - so if you are driving try and go in daylight and get good directions. Knowing a little Spanish is also helpful.

Incidentally there is a 'games' room - they had Chess Boards, Backgammon boards, etc...

The pool fits in with the hacienda - it is not an eternity pool - it is fresh water (and therefore cold) and is there for a refreshing plunge....

It is not a 'cheap' hotel - but it is luxurious in a very old fashioned and natural way. I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. If you are looking for a few days peace, a look at inland Yucatan, and a bit of rest and respite or want a secluded and romantic holiday/honeymoon, I would highly recommend it. However if you prefer to be entertained and like large resorts - I would say it's not for you. But I don't think this is how they pitch themselves.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank Katiegt

Been to Hacienda Santa Rosa, A Luxury Collection Hotel, Santa Rosa? Share your experiences!