“WISS HOUSE.. Best Jacuzzu near Brisbane”

Wiss House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Kalbar B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 8, 2011

My husband and I had a two day break out near Boonah, South west of Ipswich by about 50 K's at Wiss House Kalbar. It was a walk back 100 years in time staying at this lovely old Queenslander. It was built by the Wiss family who also owned a thriving business in the township, it's still there! The original photos from the family line the walls of the hallway. The current owned has been lucky enough to hang onto many pieces of furniture which belonged in the house. It's worth a trip there just to see two of the most wonderful mirrors I've ever seen. We had the front bedroom with it's impressive four poster bed and doors opening onto a rambling balcony which just about circles the house. One of our days was very hot and the pool beckoned us. There's a secret button near wide steps and by pressing it the water explodes to massage aching shoulders or back. There were only 5 other guests staying while we were there but conversation was lively and I made a good friend. The dining room is just lovely, perfect atmosphere and our hostess made a lamb roast and pear dessert. There's a library with historic books to explore and a well stocked DVD. We felt well at home and very comfortable. The facilities are shared, but there was no problem. There's a bathroom with a free standing bath somewhere in the homestead, but we didn't find it until looking at photos of the house on line when we arrived home. The shower area is very small but the water hot and plentiful. I really enjoyed my stay Sara, the owner was very friendly. My only criticism was the two breakfasts which were continental. I'd read other people were lucky enough to have a hot breakfast and I would have really enjoyed that.There was a very low door in our room too which intrigued me. I meant to ask where it led. It was like an Alice in wonderland sized door. I think there are a lot of interesting aspects to Wiss house to explore. Hope you enjoy your stay there. Cheers Dianne and Peter.

Room Tip: The front room is beautiful, but the bed is quite firm. I have a very bad back so I notice this more...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 19, 2011

The deal with Spreets was for two nights B&B and one two course dinner in an award winning B&B in beautiful Kalbar. Value $550. It was the Wiss House B&B and we checked their website and it all looked good. We actually paid the B&B owner herself the same sum as the Spreets Deal was so she came out better in the deal.

What we got was two nights with a very dubious continental breakfast and a dismal dinner. Not cooked by the French chef (as their web site said) she left last Christmas. The owner made it very clear that we were second class citizens paying a specal price through Spreets and shouldn't expect anything better than she supplied. She even said that she hadn't intended to include any breakfast at all and that Spreets had put that in without her consent, but previous Spreets customers had, quite rightly, complained so we got a "sort of" breakfast.
So the value not $550 at all. Closer to $320...maybe. And the shared toilet and shower were very basic. The pictures on their website suggested something much more glamerous. What is the point in people using Spreets offers to attract customers and then making them feel bad because they paid a lower price?

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank bandit92
Lovelylife57, Owner at Wiss House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2012

This couple did not buy a Spreets deal, it was over but l offered him the same deal of $250 for 2 nights with dinner.
The Spreets deal never included breakfast.
For dinner l cooked them a spinach and leak risotto with organic chicken breast and poached pears in red wine and maple syrup on a bed of baked ricotta. All other guests have raved about these meals, as witnessed by my guest book but she obviously didnt enjoy it as she ate less than half of the meal. He ate everything and thanked me.
I have since removed this dish from the menu as l only want to provide dishes that are always complimented on.
When they arrived she was disappointed to be sharing a bathroom with the other couple so l gave them their own bathroom in the ensuited room. We have only one ensuited room as this property is Heritage listed.
As far as the French chef is concerned she had left to visit her parents for a holiday which everyone is entitled to do and l had removed this reference off my website before they purchased their deal.
The man was very nice and appeared very happy but his wife was extremely rude and started yelling at me in front of the other guests when she was told the deal did not include breakfast but that l would give them complimentary continental breakfast which included a platter of fruit, cereal, toast , tea/coffee and juice.
This woman was the only unhappy guest l have had in 9 years, there was just no pleasing her.
I will do anything to please my guests and tried very hard to please her to no avail.
She left her tioletries bag behind and l even called her to tell her and posted it back to her home.
If she had gone to a motel she wouldnt have got 2 nights with dinner and breakfast for $250.
The fact that l had an unhappy guest greatly upset me but l did all l could do.

Reviewed December 14, 2010

The Wiss House is a character filled "Queenslander" style heritage-listed house. The photos of the original Wiss family make you feel as though you have stepped into a part of Queensland's history when you walk down the hallway.

The furnishings are tasteful and fit in well with the style of the house. All the guest rooms lead out onto a large verandah. Each room has airconditioning, and ours had screened windows and also some fans.

Sara, the host serves a good breakfast. It includes fruit, cereal, toast, orange juice, tea, coffee, and a cooked menu. The crispy bacon was fantastic!!!

The guest lounge has a great selection of DVDs, magazines and books. The pool looks quite inviting (but we didn't go in).

You need to be prepared to share a bathroom. There were 3-4 guest rooms (each I think had king beds), and we only saw one toilet and bathroom. As you would expect with a house of this era, there are a few creeky floorboards.

The only thing that really needs attention is the lighting. We had to go to the guest lounge to read at night time because there were only a few lamps that cast light over the bed in our room.

The 'little' things were there - like a jug of water on arrival, aerogard on the verandah, some chocolate at night time, bathrobes, nice towels and face washers.

We found this location provided easy access to the bushwalks around Spicer's Gap, Cunningham's Gap and Lake Moogerah.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

We have an ensuited room called The Lionel Suite which has a deep claw foot bath and shower.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kalbar
The Old Church Bed & Breakfast
#1 of 3 in Rathdowney
Boonah Motel
Boonah Motel
#2 of 3 in Boonah

Been to Wiss House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!